Windows 10: Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com

Discus and support Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I like eM Client, it looks and feels like WLM 2011/2012. Only draw back is; the free version only allows for 2 email accounts but the paid version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 4, 2016.

1. Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com

I used and paid for incredimail but dumped it as soon as I got windows 10 and the new Mail App.
    Would warn anyone getting it watch your computer slow down and they push you to buy more and more extras from them.
    Left them now 9 months ago and still being asked do I want to go back to them.
    So I would say keep away from it

hTconeM9user, May 5, 2016
  2. davidhk Win User

Stay with eM Client would be a good choice.

davidhk, May 5, 2016
  3. z3r010 Win User
    eM Client is a very good choice, if you need more than 2 emails it is worth paying for the full version.

z3r010, May 5, 2016
  4. Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com

I think ur right, after they flip the switch it will be MS apps for MS mail accounts. At least out of the gate.

imaddicted2u, May 5, 2016
  5. It's a strange msg. from MS support. Probably more marketing than support though

If you want the new sync tech provided by Outlook.com, Mail App, and Outlook - then the msgs is clear - WLM won't do that.
    If you want to use Outlook.com - you have to switch to another eMail client ????

WLM is suffering the same fate as every other MS Mail client - abandonment. But there's more in the msg. It also referecnes Win7 users, urging them to update to ...

What's not clear is what advantages are to adopting the new sync technology, other than collaborate effortlessly with Office documents, get more done using partner add-ins. I'm sure they have lots in mind for this new tech - ad push?

I'm simply being tech-minded, not anti-MS. How on earth can MS suggest using another eMail client and say in the same breath that WLM 2012 won't work?
    Are they intentionally going to check which client connects and deny WLM?
    Are they going to update WLM to stop working?

I guess I'll find out in late June *Eek

Slartybart, May 5, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I tried the free version of eM Client. I liked it so much that I decided to switch from Thunderbird and went with the paid version. *Smile

Winuser, May 6, 2016
  7. Victek Win User
    It's not the client per se, but the protocol used for accessing the outlook.com account. WLM uses DeltaSync for outlook.com accounts by default. DeltaSync is going away. The mail app in Windows 10 supports EAS (exchange active sync) and EAS is what Microsoft is using going forward. It has been possible however for WLM to access outlook.com accounts using both the POP and IMAP protocols:

POP3 and IMAP settings for Hotmail and Windows Live Mail | Firetrust

It's not clear if support for these protocols is also going away. If POP and IMAP remain active I don't see why you couldn't continue to use WLM. I should note that as a test I setup one of my outlook.com accounts in WLM using IMAP a while back and the performance was terrible. I think the best solution is MS Office Outlook 2013/2016 since they support EAS, but of course they have to be purchased. My second choice is eMclient (also supports EAS), but I find it's slow compared with Outlook 2013 and the UI is a bit clunky IMHO.

Victek, May 6, 2016
  8. AdHoc Win User

Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com

So in short, any client that doesn't support EAS won't be able to connect to Outlook.com accounts?

Does eM Client and Thunderbird support EAS? If they do, the key question will be: will they be able to access Outlook.com accounts as well?

AdHoc, May 6, 2016
  9. Victek Win User
    As I said it's not clear if POP and IMAP will continue to work.

eMClient supports EAS. As far as I can tell Thunderbird does not.

Victek, May 6, 2016
  10. anaron Win User
    100% agree! Apparently the future is online subscriptions to everything! Microsoft and other companies are attempting to establish perpetual income from their products by doing away with the ONE TIME purchases! It might work but then again I believe they will see massive amounts of resistance which eventually end up with decreases in sales.

anaron, May 6, 2016
  11. Thanks for the details.

I've tried eM Client and it works well. Two things I see on the eM pages

Free client does not support more than 2 accounts.

Supports all standard protocols
    It supports virtually all conceivable email technologies (POP3, SMTP, IMAP, EWS, AirSync).
    I won't be able to use the free version since I have more than two eMail accounts (if eMail accounts are what they mean)

I'd need to do more research on the protocols, EWS / EAS
    Choosing between Exchange ActiveSync and EWS

Complaints asside, MS has alerted users of the change and I applaud that.
    While the article might be a bit short on technical details, it does provide users with options
    - and that's a fair thing to do.

Slartybart, May 6, 2016
  12. DavidY Win User
    I saw a suggestion on another forum, which was that POP and IMAP might continue to work, but by using them you'd lose the ability to sync Calendar and Contacts, which I imagine was there with DeltaSync.

If that's true, WLM would partially work with Outlook accounts, and for those who only wanted to sync emails, it might be good enough. This is all just speculation of course.

DavidY, May 7, 2016
  13. jerrypc1 Win User

Hi, I have WLM 2012 .Do you have a link for eM Client That I could d/l Thanks Jerry

jerrypc1, May 7, 2016
  14. gtspeck Win User
    Today I signed out of WLM 2012 for the heck of it. The calendar and contacts were not available. That being said, it will receive emails, but you would need your contacts to send emails. If you plan to keep WLM 2012 be sure to export your contacts. Then you would be able to import them back if Microsoft does not load them. *Sad

gtspeck, May 7, 2016
  15. jerrypc1 Win User
    Thanks for the Info

jerrypc1, May 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Live Mail 2012 will not connect to Outlook.com - Similar Threads - Live Mail 2012

2. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Live Mail 2012: I would appreciated any assistance regarding my Windows Live Mail issue. I can receive and delete any message. I can't send, reply or foreward any email. I get the screen msg: A Problem occurred to open this msg plus A problem occurred Please try again...
  3. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Live Mail 2012: I would appreciated any assistance regarding my Windows Live Mail issue. I can receive and delete any message. I can't send, reply or foreward any email. I get the screen msg: A Problem occurred to open this msg plus A problem occurred Please try again...
  4. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Mail 2012: Hello, We use Windows Live Mail, but since yesterday we cannot send any mails anymore. The mails we receive have following error message : The message cannot be displayed Windows Live Mail has detected an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check that...
  5. windows live mail 2012

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    windows live mail 2012: had login screen come up and put in password.said ok screen come right back. had to call spectrum reset password now cannot receive my emails. beanner61 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-mail-2012/829e29db-dfac-4df8-8a10-11bbe2edc146
  6. Windows Live Mail 2012

Windows Live Mail 2012: I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and now my Live Mail does not work. How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-mail-2012/2f61c61a-b436-4e40-9beb-9b082c587a53
  7. Windows Live mail 2012

Windows Live mail 2012: I use live mail 2012 and was aware of the end of support. 2 days ago I find my access to my emails has been blocked by error0x800C013E. Not able to send or receive and not able to open any of my email folders. No idea how to resolve. Can someone help?...
  8. Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Live Mail 2012: since windows 10 updates send link greyed out try as I may I can not resolve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/live-mail-2012/47c464e1-f0b6-4024-8b75-a054bc6181cf
  9. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: Hi I have just installed windows 10 upgrade and everything is fine but my email. I use WLM 2012 for work with my work signature on it and it wont work properly. It seems to give this error message when i try and send " the message cannot be sent an error has occured"....
  10. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: I am a newbe to this forum. I just bought an I Pad and I am trying to have my emails transfer into it from my Windows Live mail 2012. I know it is no longer support by Micro Soft. The I Pad set up is asking me questions I can't answer. Can anyone help me please? 92086