Windows 10: Windows Live Mail with Win 10?

Discus and support Windows Live Mail with Win 10? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have been playing around with win 10 for a while now, first in a virtual machine but lately as a dual boot with Win 8.1. Now I am seriously thinking... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by KeithR, Jun 4, 2015.

1. KeithR Win User

Windows Live Mail with Win 10?

I have been playing around with win 10 for a while now, first in a virtual machine but lately as a dual boot with Win 8.1. Now I am seriously thinking of making Win 10 my main OS.
    My question - with Win 8.1, I use Windows Live Mail, will this be supported under Win 10?
    TIA
    Keith

:)

KeithR, Jun 4, 2015
  2. wyko8888 Win User

There is no trace of windows live mail after clean installation of Windows 10.

* Original Title: windows live mail

I have clean installed win 10

There is no trace of windows live mail

I had backed up all my email stuff and now have nowhere to reinstall it in win 10 mail

Help, where is it

Graham Smith

wyko8888, Jun 4, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Error Message

Windows Live is the NOT way to get mail in win 10. Uninstall it. Use the Mail App instead and setup your email acct if it is not already configured there. There is also a calendar app. Windows Live 2012 is outdated now that win 10 is the operating system.
    The system requirements for Live do not include windows 10

mlg63, Jun 4, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Yes. I am using it now. FYI, After you install WLM, what you could do is to copy the whole content of:
    C:\Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    from your Windows 8.1 to the same place in Windows 10 then run WLM. Everything will be there ie. Your emails, accounts etc...

EDIT: Another thing you need to do is to export your Email Contacts from Windows 8.1 to a csv file then from WLM, import it back.

topgundcp, Jun 4, 2015
  5. I think Contacts are stored in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Live folder - you can copy that folder over as well. I'm not on a machine with weMail (WLM) installed and this is from memory.

See if the folder Contacts is in the Live folder, if it is my memory isn't that bad *Wink
    If it's not where I think it is, then search for Contacts in %LOCALAPPDATA% : There are other sub-folders in the same folder as Contacts (Bci) that deal with updating the program, you don't need those, but it doesn't hurt either.

Rules, if you use them are stored in the registry - again, I don't have the exact reference, but the key is easy to recognize \Windows Live Mail\Rules or along those lines. You can export the rules from Win8.1 and import them on Win10

Slartybart, Jun 4, 2015
  6. KeithR Win User
    Thank you both for your help.
    I intend to take an image of 8.1 partition, then to delete the dual boot and upgrade the 8.1 to Win 10. So a bit of preparation to do 1st.
    Many thanks
    Keith

KeithR, Jun 4, 2015
  7. adamsr2 Win User
    I just installed Windows 10. I'd like to import the messages, and contacts, in Windows Live Mail 2012 into the Mail program in Windows 10. This includes my local imported folders and emails. Can I do this? How?

adamsr2, Sep 27, 2015
  8. gpstoloff Win User

By being patient! As numerous threads have stated, W10 Mail currently has NO local capabilities, so you'll need to install or retain your WLM 2012 to access your local stuff.

gpstoloff, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Duane Win User
    How patient? It's June 2016. Is there some solution to use this windows 10 mail yet?

Alternately, is there a way to import settings and mail into Outlook 2016 64 bit yet without uninstalling 64 bit, installing 32 bit and then reinstalling 64 bit?

Aren't these all Microsoft products? <g>

Duane, Jun 1, 2016
  10. gpstoloff Win User
    I suggest you read the following items from Microsoft Community:

Windows Live Mail and Outlook Mail

Migration of Outlook.com accounts to Outlook Mail

As for "Aren't these all Microsoft products?", they're each maintained by a different group of developers -- so, unless there's an explicit written requirement that requires coordination between these programs, they might not do so.

For the Windows 10 Modern Mail app, IMNSHO, I'd look for additional features (folders, etc.) to appear in the Anniversary Release -- which, unfortunately, doesn't come out until July 29th or later. I don't have any specific knowledge about whether or not local folder support will be included -- sorry!

gpstoloff, Jun 2, 2016
  11. Duane Win User
    Thanks for the reply,

As a software developer I understand what you mean by different groups of developers but as a user, I expect a functional solution to moving forward with the software while maintaining my data. Windows 10 mail seems remarkably lacking in features. Outlook's inability to import 64bit data seems odd.

Is WLM support planned to continue? Maybe switching to Thunderbird makes the most sense.

Duane, Jun 2, 2016
  12. Bastet Win User
    Just to add to topgundcp's post, I ran WLMail to create the above folder under Win 10 then closed WLMail & then pasted the same folder from the Win 8.1 installation of WLMail to replace the Win 10 version, all you need to do then is open the program & enter your password for each account.

Bastet, Jun 2, 2016
  13. gpstoloff Win User

No, WLM and the rest of the Windows Essentials lost their support with the introduction of the equivalent Windows Modern applications. They are now located deep in the bowels of the MS OEM Partner Center -- an example of their level of support.

Personally, I went for eM Client because I'm not using an alternative browser. Other folks who run Firefox make the Thunderbird choice obvious for them.

gpstoloff, Jun 2, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    I think the answer to both your questions is no.

MS have said that WLM will not be updated to use the new API to synchronise your calendars, contacts and other non IMAP things. You can still use it for IMAP email (for outlook.com accounts) if you want by defining your account manually. Other accounts (like gmail etc) work fine.

Thunderbird has not been supported for years and anyway is much more limited client. If you like it then go ahead.

Personally even though I don't really want to I'm going to buy Outlook. They give you the first year for free so we will see after that. All the other options are (for me) unsatisfactory so if I have to pay $60 a year (or just buy the standalone) then I will.

15. Duane Win User
    I actually do have Outlook. I have Office 2016. But I have the 64 bit version. So I can't import folders or mail from WLM. If this worked, I would just use that but I have a lot of stored mail, contacts etc. The suggestion was to uninstall Office and install the 32 bit version. But even if I wanted to do that, I don't have disks or anything. I bought this online. I supposed I'll have to look at how to get a 32 bit version of Outlook 2016.

Duane, Jun 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Live Mail with Win 10? - Similar Threads - Live Mail

2. Windows Live Mail 2012 stopped workng after Update KB52034685, ERROR CODE 0x800CCC6F, what...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Live Mail 2012 stopped workng after Update KB52034685, ERROR CODE 0x800CCC6F, what...: Prior to 02-14-2024 Windows Live Mail 2012 was working just fine but after update KB5034685, it stopped working. Error Code: 0x800CCC6F Unable to send email. I can still receive but not send. All original settings have not been changed, only this update was made.The program...
  3. Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Live Mail: I know Windows Live Mail is out of date and not supported by Microsoft, but I still use it and have for a long time, and want to continue to use it. But just yesterday I can no longer sign in to either of my email addresses because they won't accept my password. I have...
  4. Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Live Mail: I know Windows Live Mail is out of date and not supported by Microsoft, but I still use it and have for a long time, and want to continue to use it. But just yesterday I can no longer sign in to either of my email addresses because they won't accept my password. I have...
  5. Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. How do I Import or copy the AutoComplete list to another computer from Windows Live Mail to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Import or copy the AutoComplete list to another computer from Windows Live Mail to...: As per title, live mail was default mail client on the old PC whereas Outlook is default mail on the PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-import-or-copy-the-autocomplete-list-to/90dc4923-c491-484b-9ac9-809ccb93a077
  7. How do I Import or copy the AutoComplete list to another computer from Windows Live Mail to...

How do I Import or copy the AutoComplete list to another computer from Windows Live Mail to...: As per title, live mail was default mail client on the old PC whereas Outlook is default mail on the PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-import-or-copy-the-autocomplete-list-to/90dc4923-c491-484b-9ac9-809ccb93a077
  8. How to transfer emails from Windows Live mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer emails from Windows Live mail: Hi I have wanted to move some emails from my UWClub account to my Gmail account but I dont know what the password for Windows Live is. I have tried to go through Microsoft to recover my account but to no avail. I had the following response - Unfortunately, our automated...
  9. How to transfer emails from Windows Live mail

How to transfer emails from Windows Live mail: Hi I have wanted to move some emails from my UWClub account to my Gmail account but I dont know what the password for Windows Live is. I have tried to go through Microsoft to recover my account but to no avail. I had the following response - Unfortunately, our automated...
  10. I have had Windows Live mail for 30 years. Today it will not send or receive.

I have had Windows Live mail for 30 years. Today it will not send or receive.: I have had Windows Live mail for 30 years. Today it will not send. Help!! I have an obligation today. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-had-windows-live-mail-for-30-years-today-it/b305c1d0-f830-4736-8d32-04dbb8423cb1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows live mail in win 10

2. windows live mail in win10