Windows 10: Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting

Discus and support Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting in Cortana to solve the problem; My Windows Search in startmenu used to work fine. Suddenly one day it failed to work and the place where the files you search for is displayed in... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by nedfire, Apr 15, 2019.

1. nedfire Win User

Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting

My Windows Search in startmenu used to work fine. Suddenly one day it failed to work and the place where the files you search for is displayed in searchmenu came out blank. I tried troubleshooting with System&Security troubleshooting option but it cant identify the problem. The search in startmenu still turn out blank. What could cause this problem and how do I fix it? I dont think the problem was related to Cortana because Cortana was unavailable in my region,hence I never used it.

:)

nedfire, Apr 15, 2019

2. Startmenu not "updating"

Hey,

I got the following problem:

• Newly installed Programs/Apps will not show up in the startmenu
    • Programs/Shortcuts I add to the Startmenu folders want show in my startmenu
    • Startmenu search won't find the new items either, even not if they are pinned to the startmenu

What I have tried to fix my problem:

• Rebuilding my search index
    • Reinstalling all windows apps, including cortana
    • Try to locate the issue with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ⇒ nothing found
    • Running the troubleshooter ⇒ returns "incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriers"
      • changed the default Search folder where the index is saved
      • checked permissions for the Search folder (seems ok)

What I think initially caused the error:

• I switched from German to English on my Win10 PC
      • I then realised that a lot of my searchable windows settings still showed inGerman and not in English and were in addition not clickable anymore (nothing happended)
      • I could not fix the issue so I switched back to German
      • This made the Win10 settings searchable and clickable again, but since then my Startmenu seems to be stuck on its old index
    I am running Windows 10 Education with the Anniversary Update - which for me removed Cortana (maybe this issue is connected?)

Any help or advise?

Ciaran Baulig, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 15, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting - Similar Threads - Live Search StartMenu

2. My Windows is not updating of a march update 2019, even after troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Windows is not updating of a march update 2019, even after troubleshooting: Hi everyone, Once I got a update in the month of march 2019, I started the update it downloaded and asked for restart, I restarted and it came configuring update => it completed 100% but during installing process it didn't happen and it came back to normal screen after a...
  3. Can't install/update drivers, update Windows 10, or run Windows troubleshooter even after a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install/update drivers, update Windows 10, or run Windows troubleshooter even after a...: Elgato drivers wouldn’t install Error code 115 Sound drivers not installed either Doubled checked that drivers weren’t already installed Run device manager (“devmgmt”) Windows + X Device Manager Blocked by administrator “This app has been blocked for...
  4. Startmenu (left)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startmenu (left): Hello! Is there any way that the start menu opens like this always? (Want the Windows 10 start menu to show the expanded start menu) [img] 125495
  5. Unable to even troubleshoot activation of windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to even troubleshoot activation of windows 10 pro: I have a legitimate copy of windows 10 pro, but the activate windows overlay popped up yesterday and now it says its unable to reach the activation servers when I try to troubleshoot. 0x0020036 is the error code but I cant find much about it online, please help...
  6. Audio has a red X and will NOT work even after restart/troubleshooting ETC.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio has a red X and will NOT work even after restart/troubleshooting ETC.: I really need help... I had bought this HP Windows 10 Laptop in the first few weeks of October, and about one/two weeks ago, the audio decided to act out. I've tried doing the troubleshooter and it says it's not responding, restarting the services countless times, tried...
  7. my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update

in Windows 10 Customization
    my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update: my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update for windows 10 1803 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/-/6efc6885-4b4d-4917-a357-4ffb83dbed83
  8. Updates and Troubleshooter not working.

Updates and Troubleshooter not working.: Hello..I am new to TenForums, so if this is not in the right forum, please let me know. I have been having problems where I cannot do updates and the troubleshooter does not work. I presently have Win 10 Pro 1709 Build 16299.125. I tried the following steps: 1. Ran...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade stuck at 87%, even after troubleshooting

Windows 10 Upgrade stuck at 87%, even after troubleshooting: PC Specs: Windows 8.1 64-Bit Zoostorm Gaming PC Intel Core i7-4770 16GB DDR3 Ram 1,333Mhz Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 1TB Western Digital 7200 RPM SATA 6 * HD partitions: 300MB Recovery, 260MB EFI System, 919.32GB NTFS (C*Smile, 451MB Recovery, 350MB Recovery, 10.74GB...
  10. Edge/StartMenu not working possible fix.

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge/StartMenu not working possible fix.: This might be odd but I been fighting lack of Edge, Start menu,ect on and off, nothing seems to work not DSIM,SFC, reset apps or windose updates but resetting permission/ownership of my user folder, appdata folder, and local/locallow/roaming fodlers to make sure it stuck did...