Windows 10: Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

Discus and support Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All,When we apply Password Policy in Intune for Azure Ad Account to Login to Window Computers, Does the policy applies to Local user Account as well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ryan Shrestha, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

Hi All,When we apply Password Policy in Intune for Azure Ad Account to Login to Window Computers, Does the policy applies to Local user Account as well ?For Example: When creating Windows device compliance Policy we have option to Password expiration days, if we apply this settings is it going to effect local user account.Thank you

:)

Ryan Shrestha, Aug 5, 2022
  2. Kari Win User

Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial) and change it's account type to Administrator (tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD  Account [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

Kari, Aug 5, 2022
  3. Patrik S_ Win User
    Login using Azure AD account instead of local account

Hi!

I am trying to find the recommended way to go from using a local account to a Azure AD account for log-in on Windows 10. I have a computer with a local admin account. I used this to create a work account. It seems to go well and I can find the computer listed in Azure AD as AD registered and MDM connected to Microsoft Intune.

So far so good. Now I am stuck not able to change account and log-in with a domain account instead of the local user. There is simply no option to switch user. Not in the windows menu as the picture show or on the login screen. I have seen a number of threads on this matter and tried some solutions so far with no luck.

These issues gets me wonder what the correct procedure is to go from local account to a Azure AD account without having to reinstall windows?

It is Windows 10 Home which some mention is not possible to Azure AD join. It seems to work to get to status Azure AD registered and into Intune though.

Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD  Account 313817ea-d34f-4624-9235-70776df00f37?upload=true.jpg

Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD  Account 81123911-09c6-4e95-b240-d3ffc73c5ee0?upload=true.jpg

Patrik S_, Aug 5, 2022
  4. Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

I set my desktop user account up accidentally using my Microsoft Azure AD account. I want to change it to a local account without losing my settings. Can this be done?

DanielDC88, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

1. Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account - Similar Threads - Local User Account

2. Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account: Hi All,When we apply Password Policy in Intune for Azure Ad Account to Login to Window Computers, Does the policy applies to Local user Account as well ?For Example: When creating Windows device compliance Policy we have option to Password expiration days, if we apply this...
  3. Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Local User Account vs Azure AD Account: Hi All,When we apply Password Policy in Intune for Azure Ad Account to Login to Window Computers, Does the policy applies to Local user Account as well ?For Example: When creating Windows device compliance Policy we have option to Password expiration days, if we apply this...
  4. Login using Azure AD account instead of local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login using Azure AD account instead of local account: Hi!I am trying to find the recommended way to go from using a local account to a Azure AD account for log-in on Windows 10. I have a computer with a local admin account. I used this to create a work account. It seems to go well and I can find the computer listed in Azure AD...
  5. Login using Azure AD account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login using Azure AD account instead of local account: Hi!I am trying to find the recommended way to go from using a local account to a Azure AD account for log-in on Windows 10. I have a computer with a local admin account. I used this to create a work account. It seems to go well and I can find the computer listed in Azure AD...
  6. Login using Azure AD account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. legacy Azure AD account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    legacy Azure AD account: Hello Is there a way to resume a azure AD/ user login information,I have tried disable credential manager, seems work for a while but the credential box comes back. My question is, is the azure AD account unlockable thanks...
  8. legacy Azure AD account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    legacy Azure AD account: Hello Is there a way to resume a azure AD/ user login information,I have tried disable credential manager, seems work for a while but the credential box comes back. My question is, is the azure AD account unlockable thanks...
  9. Azure AD Account Locked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Azure AD Account Locked: Hi everyone, We are using Azure AD DS. One of the user accounts got locked today wrong password attempts by the user. The password was reset from the Azure Portal. But it still says the account is locked when trying to login to Windows. Is there anyway to unlock the user...
  10. Local vs Network user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local vs Network user accounts: I bought a Windows 10 Surface laptop recently from the Microsoft store. The clerk at the store helped me set it up and insisted that I create a network login account which would require that I use my email account to login. The reason she gave was that if my computer ever...