Windows 10: Windows Lock Screen frozen?

Discus and support Windows Lock Screen frozen? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, so to begin with let me say I have been dealing with this issue since last night. This is what happened: 1. Computer was working fine, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Oskaija, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Oskaija Win User

Windows Lock Screen frozen?

Hi, so to begin with let me say I have been dealing with this issue since last night. This is what happened:

1. Computer was working fine, but I noticed my old 120GB IDE drive was not being recognized and I could not access its files.

2. After turning off the computer and seeing the sata cable was plugged in the incorrect slot on the SATA-to-IDE adapter, I moved it over and restarted the PC.

3. I checked the BIOS to confirm the drive was now recognized.

4. Once I reached the lock screen to log into my account, I found that my mouse and keyboard were not responding. It was as if the lock screen was frozen but the clock would still display the correct time changing by the minute as it should,.

So I thought there might be a simple bug and I turned off the computer and moved the cables to their prior configuration before the issue occurred. This did not fix the lock screen. I've determined it to not be a hardware issue as I am able to navigate the BIOS with both mouse and keyboard. I've determined it to not be a USB port issue as all ports give the same issue work in BIOS, not in lock screen. Setting the USB configuration to Legacy did not fix the issue.

I brought Windows up into recovery mode to see if a startup repair would fix it. This did not work. Uninstalling the latest updates did not work. If I attempt to start inany version of safe mode, the lock screen freezes there too, preventing me from getting in through that method. I do not have a system restore point to go back to so that option is not feasible.

To note: My system is a custom build with an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F motherboard, an AMD 3700x CPU, with 32 GB of RAM 2x16 with 3 storage drives 1 2TB SSD as the main drive, 1 2TB HDD, and 1 120GB HDD, and an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070. My PSU is a corsair TX850M. I am running Windows 10 was on latest build but rolled back during troubleshooting.

Has anybody had this sort of issue and found a solution? In all my years of computing, this is the first time I've seen this sort of issue. I'd like to avoid a system reset but am willing to do it if all other options have been exhausted.

To Summarize:

PC boots normally until I reach the lock screen. I cannot use the mouse or keyboard unless I'm in the BIOS or recovery options screen. I have tried Startup Repair, Uninstall Updates, Startup Settings booting into safe mode in all 3 variants with the same lock screen issue, System Restore is not an option as I do not have a restore point to return to. I can access Command Prompt through Advanced Options but have yet to find a solution using it. I have attempted to unplug all but my main storage drive with no fix. I've tried booting with no USB ports used with no fix.

I honestly can't think of much else as most solutions involve going into safe mode to try other solutions, but as I've stated, that isn't possible for me as booting into safe mode causes the same issue once I reach the login screen the password box has the vertical bar blinking for a few seconds before stopping entirely as if it's frozen. This only happens in safe mode, whereas the main lock screen doesn't even bring up the account to login with after pressing any key on the keyboard or clicking with the mouse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I can't get a working solution by 6 PM EST, I'm afraid I'll be left with no choice but to do a system reset.

:)

Oskaija, Jun 20, 2020

2. No Lock screen in Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen option as Windows Spotlight and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select Windows Spotlight from the list.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Lock screen woes

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to try resolving the issue.

Setting the timeout for Lock Screen

• Press Windows + I and select personalization.
    • Select Lock screen.

• Select the Screen Timeout setting.
    • Select the time of timeout you need and check.

Keep us posted if the issue resolves to help you better.

Sachin V Rao, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Hi,

There are multiple causes on why you're encountering this issue. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you disable and re-enable Spotlight. Simply follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop and open Personalize.
    • Open Lock Screen tab.
    • Under Background, switch from Windows Spotlight to a Picture or the Slideshow.
    • Click OK and close the Window.
    • Now Log off and log in.
    • Navigate to Lock screen and enable Windows Spotlight again.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Lock Screen frozen? - Similar Threads - Lock Screen frozen

2. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen screen: Bios then save and exit now screen frozen ? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-screen/d8d7f090-7b20-46a2-a5a3-f458aec655c6
  3. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen screen: Bios then save and exit now screen frozen ? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-screen/d8d7f090-7b20-46a2-a5a3-f458aec655c6
  4. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen screen: When I start up my win 10 computer the screen is frozen and there is no cursor. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-screen/94457f25-a647-4b54-8963-14bce395c2e0
  5. Windows 10 lock screen frozen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 lock screen frozen: Hi, so i have a computer and i just updated from windows 7 to windows 10 and after the update was done lock screen is frozen after while pc got turned off by it self i turned on pc again and same thing happend again i watched youtubes videos and nothing helped. Pc worked when...
  6. windows startup lock screen frozen / cannot enter password

windows startup lock screen frozen / cannot enter password: Hello, I was stuck half the startups on the lock screen and clicking wouldn't show me the prompt to enter my password. After searching I didn't find anything usefull for me. Here is how I solved this problem : There was apparently a time problem, The clock was...
  7. Frozen lock screen

Frozen lock screen: Hello. Yesturday, night i had a time limit on my computer which was past its screen time. I tried to send a request to my parents but however, i had an internet problem. I had tried to reconnect in the lock screen by reconnecting and turning off the internet, all of a...
  8. Frozen Screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frozen Screen: Hi I have an issue where whenever I attempt to turn on my laptop it freezes while booting up and the little boot animation freezes and when I get past that it freezes when I try to log in please help thanks! submitted by /u/YvngPant [link] [comments]...
  9. Frozen Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frozen Screen: My laptop has a frozen black screen after it was downloading an update all it now shows is a black screen with a pop up window stating to "insert external media and then OK" but nothing happens....
  10. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frozen screen: My screen on my windows 10 is frozen before the welcome screen its jjust a picture of a dessert scene there is no password box nothing to click on at all what can i do...