Windows 10: windows lockdown on many things after double update

Discus and support windows lockdown on many things after double update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop has an SSD as C drive, and a Std. SATA as E drive in the secondary drive bay. I'm Running Windows 10 - 64 bit. Around a week ago, I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gary Armitage, Aug 14, 2019.

1. windows lockdown on many things after double update

My laptop has an SSD as C drive, and a Std. SATA as E drive in the secondary drive bay.

I'm Running Windows 10 - 64 bit.

Around a week ago, I got quite a large Windows update (after download - around 30 / 45 minutes of install and 3 reboots before logon screen).

One day later - another smaller update, of slightly less time, and one reboot.

Since these updates, various things have happened :

(PS. I am the sole user. There is only my account on the machine. I am still the Administrator. I have double checked that.)

1. first thing I noticed - wifi adapter turned off at every reboot. I did fix that in settings, changed back to automatic, but now it has reverted to manual all by itself !

2. Suddenly (Once the wifi is back on !) I'm unable to download anything - music, Jpeg, programs, you name it, from either Chrome, or Edge, or IE.

Makes no difference which program is used.

All these things do appear to download as normal, but once download finishes I get "You don't have the relevant permissions to save".

3. All my folders are now defaulted to "read only". I have spent hours and hours - drilled right down to all levels of removing read only,

including setting all files as visible, right click on drive, /select all/properties/ uncheck "read only" from there,

thus deselecting the "read only box", for both my on board drives, and waited over an hour for it all to run through, but to no avail.

4. I then went to do a system restore.

lo and behold, although restore is always set as "ON", every restore point has vanished !

There isn't even one there for the latest updates !

If this was actually caused - as it would appear to be -by the latest 2 updates, then they couldn't have done much worse if they had sent me a bucket full of trojan-worms !

Don't get me wrong. the machine runs fine in all other respects. Online is fine. email is fine. at least - these are the issues found up to press.

I have just held [shift] and re booted, and uninstalled the latest "Quality" update.

Problems still exist as before.

I do have AVG internet security ultimate, and thought that may well be the problem.

I decided to shut it down completely, - but the problem remained.

folders still refuse point blank to stay off the read only button.

something is making the folders all default back to "read only" , after unchecking, and as soon as you hit [OK].

i.e. -go immediately back to folder properties, and the tick box is already re-checked !

all the other issues are still there too, and wifi adapter has returned to manual start !

Running out of ideas now.

My "PC expert" friend is also at a loss. He tried all the Attribute stuff. still no joy.

Has to be something these updates caused.It was fine before.

Can I assume other people are suffering the same issues ?

I really don't want to do a clean install - too much stuff on here to lose. To be fair - I don't see why I should !

After exhausting everything I can find or think of to do - I'm now shouting for help.

:)

Gary Armitage, Aug 14, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 14, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond windows lockdown on many things after double update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 14, 2019
  4. windows lockdown on many things after double update

Computer in lockdown

I have done all of the troubleshooting steps that you provided and I still can't get Windows to start because it won't accept my password which I know has been entered correctly I know my password Works to get into my Microsoft account on my android phone.
    Previously tried to make a reset password but Windows 10 will not allow it and i had a lot of other problems. Now I can't even restore or do a clean install because it always asks for a password

grannyjudy, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

windows lockdown on many things after double update

1. windows lockdown on many things after double update - Similar Threads - lockdown many things

2. Windows update screwed up many things including File Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update screwed up many things including File Manager: What happened? On March 9th, a Windows upgrade just slammed my computer. I'm about ready to replace it with an Apple.Of course it did it during the last three days from completing a project and I was completely slammed. I have managed to fix a lot of things, but my file...
  3. Windows update screwed up many things including File Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update screwed up many things including File Manager: What happened? On March 9th, a Windows upgrade just slammed my computer. I'm about ready to replace it with an Apple.Of course it did it during the last three days from completing a project and I was completely slammed. I have managed to fix a lot of things, but my file...
  4. Cant update windowsTried many things

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant update windowsTried many things: I can't update windows. It shows the "Something went wrong, try to reopen settings later" message. I tried running some commands in the command prompt, tried starting the windows update service which showed an error code 1058 I believe , and now the service has dissappeared,...
  5. After an update that was done like a week ago, many annoying things started to happen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After an update that was done like a week ago, many annoying things started to happen.: For example: if my cursor stayed on anything for 2 seconds, it will select that something. Of i try to delete, for example, a folder, if will OPEN AND DELETE the folder! Another thing. I changed the screen scaling in hkey local machine from 4 to 3 so my old games will be on...
  6. after download lockdown browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    after download lockdown browser: after download lockdown browser for my exam,the system went automatically went to air plane mode and now not able to switch off air plane mode. Any one can help me to sort out this problem thanks...
  7. Many important things not opening!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Many important things not opening!: Hello! Today I was watching some YouTube videos on how to make my laptop faster and I tried many things to make it faster. After those steps I wanted to open the task manager but it wouldn't open. Then I tried opening it by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and it still didn't...
  8. So many things wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    So many things wrong: I recently bought a HP Pavilion desktop and i'm starting to have problems after I updated it. I can't open the task manager even with shortcuts. I can only open Chrome by clicking it on the desktop There are no apps on the taskbar, and when I click anything on it nothing...
  9. Many things not working

Many things not working: I am using Windows 10 Pro . So earlier i was going across regedit and i was setting permissions to a group , nvm so later my screen just refreshed and actually i couldn't see half of my taskbar , it was like invisible . I could point the mouse to that and it would eventually...
  10. Windows menu and many other things is corrupt

Windows menu and many other things is corrupt: So i was playing with a friend over discord and i screen shared PUBG. It all went fine until when i was done, my desktop started going black and then it all refreshed. I shut down my computer since i had to go and next day my computer turns on to a black screen. I couldn't do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. temporary lockdown at work but every is fine