Windows 10: Windows locks up after January Update

Discus and support Windows locks up after January Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After both of my computers we automaticly updated by the most resent Windows 10 update, they both started lockiing up. At first I thought it was an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BigAlpreacherDude, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Windows locks up after January Update

After both of my computers we automaticly updated by the most resent Windows 10 update, they both started lockiing up. At first I thought it was an issue with Chrome because it happened on both computers while I was using Google Chrome. But this morning the computer locked up while using Exel. I wasn't using any other applications at the time. I am running Avast Premium for anti-virus software. I have Windows 10 64 bit on both computers and I am using Office 365 also set to auto update.

I reinstalled Windows 10 on my labptop and am in the process of rolling back my windows configuration to a restore point in December of last year on my HP all-in-one.

If I can provide any further information. Please let me know

:)

BigAlpreacherDude, Jan 17, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows locks up after January Update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    January 2018 Office Update Release

See:

Brink, Jan 17, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows locks up after January Update

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows locks up after January Update

1. Windows locks up after January Update - Similar Threads - locks January Update

2. Windows 10 January update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 January update: Hello, I'm experiencing a recurring problem after Windows January update. Depending on the time, which is completely random, everything may work as normal or delete button is not working and the taskbar isn't working properly. Is there a way to fix it? I'd appreciate all...
  3. no audio after window 10 update january 2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no audio after window 10 update january 2021: yesterday i have updates my window 10 but everytime i update there a new error its like a new update mean u got new error im very disappointed with window 10 after updating my window 10 theres no audio please help...
  4. Laptop freezes after January 2021 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes after January 2021 update: My Lenovo laptop was working perfectly, until I installed the Microsoft Update on January 13, 2021. The next day suddenly my Chrome browser freezes, my mouse doesn't work, my keyboard lost it backlight, etc. And I can't uninstall the update. I was able to restore the...
  5. Computer started locking up after Windows update

Computer started locking up after Windows update: Since Windows update my computer has been locking up. It started when Chrome was on and initially I thought it was Chrome problem. But then my computer locked up when I used Exel. My antivirus is Avast and I use P all-in-one, Windows 10, 64 bit and Office 365. I tried to...
  6. Windows Update January 2019

Windows Update January 2019: I have windows 10, version 1803 but why am I receiving update feature to windows 10, version 1809 on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-january-2019/e22a98ea-4450-4a4a-b85b-70435757b936
  7. printers disappeared after January 2019 windows updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printers disappeared after January 2019 windows updates: After these two updates: KB 4480979 and KB 4483234, which both installed a few days ago, both of my printers disappeared from the printers list (one printer is cabled to the computer and the other is wireless). When I click on add printers & scanners, the two printers cannot...
  8. Windows locks up after January Update

Windows locks up after January Update: After both of my computers we automaticly updated by the most resent Windows 10 update, they both started lockiing up. At first I thought it was an issue with Chrome because it happened on both computers while I was using Google Chrome. But this morning the computer locked...
  9. Internet not working after January windows 10 update

Internet not working after January windows 10 update: So after the latest windows 10 update January 12th 2019, my internet has gone completely down. My service provider says it isn't the modem and sounds like it could be the router. I can't connect via ethernet or wifi. I've reset the modem and router several times. My wifi is...
  10. Problems After January 12th 2016 Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems After January 12th 2016 Update: Since the January 12th 2016 update my laptop/Win 10 has gone hey-wire. If laptop sits idle for awhile, the Windows 'button' (and the Win key) do not work ... I powered off and rebooted - win key came back but during reboot got several extraneous windows. Suspect maybe...