Windows 10: Windows login points to wrong user folder

Discus and support Windows login points to wrong user folder in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; An error during login caused Windows 10 to create a new user folder named TEMP and has redirected my login to it. My user folder is still present and... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Bard Skye, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Bard Skye Win User

Windows login points to wrong user folder

An error during login caused Windows 10 to create a new user folder named TEMP and has redirected my login to it. My user folder is still present and all subfolders and files appear to be intact.

How do I get my login to point back to the folder with my user name?

:)

Bard Skye, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 26, 2019
  3. marknyy Win User
    Windows users at login

I cannot see all of my user accounts on the login screen on a new Windows 10 laptop. I have an account for my son and it does not appear as a user on the login screen. It is listed if I display the users with the CMD prompt. The only account I see is my
    account which is an admin. His account is a user. All the suggestions I've seen are not available on home edition.

marknyy, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Windows login points to wrong user folder

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows login points to wrong user folder

1. Windows login points to wrong user folder - Similar Threads - login points wrong

2. Windows tries to login with wrong user non-existing account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows tries to login with wrong user non-existing account: Hello all,I'm facing a strange problem.I have only one local account "ViVa" and I think I should login only with this user, right?But when I start windows it wants to login with the user Vadym.Can anybody please advise how to get rid of the user "Vadym" login!Thanks in...
  3. Windows tries to login with wrong user non-existing account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows tries to login with wrong user non-existing account: Hello all,I'm facing a strange problem.I have only one local account "ViVa" and I think I should login only with this user, right?But when I start windows it wants to login with the user Vadym.Can anybody please advise how to get rid of the user "Vadym" login!Thanks in...
  4. Renaming User folder gone wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming User folder gone wrong: Hello there! I renamed my user folder via this method: https://youtu.be/XASJTN8Sr1I And suddenly on my main user windows is really slow and freezing in some windows, can't open thing and can't even search in the search tab. Does anyone know something about this?...
  5. On boot and login, windows no longer points to my user name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    On boot and login, windows no longer points to my user name: On boot and login, windows no longer points to my user name, but instead points to TEMP login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-boot-and-login-windows-no-longer-points-to-my/f02fd62f-4047-45a4-935b-098d4a410411
  6. My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

My user profile folders are in the wrong place.: How can I get my "system" folders back where they belong in my explorer tree? For example, my contacts folder among others appears under my "pictures" folder. This, I believe, is a result of reusing the system drive from my old computer as a data drive on my new build after...
  7. Login With Wrong User Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login With Wrong User Profile: Recently when I log in with my Microsoft username and password, I login with an unknown user profile. Formerly I logged in with a user profile for 'Rankin Desktop'. When I logged in a few days ago, I got a message like "can't find user profile". That may be when this all...
  8. Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location

Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location: Brand new installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. In Explorer, the "Documents" link under "This PC" on the left hand folder tree points to OneDrive, not my Documents folder. Attempting to change its location results by going to Properties > Location > Restore Default...
  9. New Windows setup created wrong user folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Windows setup created wrong user folder: s have a new PC and I'm installing a new iteration of Windows 10. It created a User folder spelled different than the one I am using on old Windows PC. This was done when I logged into my Microsoft account during setup. My backup will restore my files to the existing...
  10. Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.: Hi, In the quick access area of the file browser the documents folder is pointing to a drive that no longer exists. The folder is pinned to the top of the file list and it wont unpin. How do I either unpin it or make it point to the correct location. Many Thanks 27250