Windows 10: Windows Losing DNS

Discus and support Windows Losing DNS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 20H2. Windows 10 is randomly losing DNS and therefore this stops my access to the internet. However when the problem occurs, all other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by otronics, Feb 28, 2021.

1. otronics Win User

Windows Losing DNS

Windows 10 20H2.

Windows 10 is randomly losing DNS and therefore this stops my access to the internet.

However when the problem occurs, all other network access still works (eg/ network drives).

It is random - it has happened twice today and other times occurs once a day or once every few days.

The only solution is to reboot the PC and that fixes it every time.

This was actually such a problem that I am running a clean install (I formatted the PC and reinstalled Windows a few days ago). The problem persists.

The Windows Network troubleshooter doesn't fix it, neither does ipconfig renew and release. Flushing DNS does nothing.

I have a second network card and that is doing the same.

During the issue - ipconfig does show DHCP is disabled though (when of course it normally is enabled).

I thought it might be a router issue however, setting a static IP, Gateway, DNS etc on my PC makes no difference.

I have tried my ISP's (Virgin Media) DNS and Google. No difference.

Again, reboot the PC and it all works again.

In the Windows Event log, this error looks suspicious:

Router Advertisement settings have been changed on the network adapter 3. The current M - Managed Address Configuration flag is false and the O - Other Stateful Configuration flag is true. User Action: If you are seeing this event frequently, then it could be due to frequent change in M and O flag settings on the router in the network. Please contact your network administrator to have it resolved.

Good luck on this one as so far I've no idea how to fix it.

:)

otronics, Feb 28, 2021

2. Windows 10 DNS leak

No, went with a different 3rd party suggestion. Works better. I'm reliant on others for my tech needs that way.

the54thvoid, Feb 28, 2021
  3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Windows Losing DNS

dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Windows Losing DNS [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Windows Losing DNS [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows Losing DNS

1. Windows Losing DNS - Similar Threads - Losing DNS

2. Anyone else have their computer crash trying to update windows 11? Then lose ALL files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else have their computer crash trying to update windows 11? Then lose ALL files...: I swear I HATE this monopoly company. If it is not one thing it is another. Windows updates are always crashing and end up with major losses of documents/pictures saved. No wonder everyone is moving over to iOS. Someone help please! It's my senior year, last semester of...
  3. Anyone else have their computer crash trying to update windows 11? Then lose ALL files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone else have their computer crash trying to update windows 11? Then lose ALL files...: I swear I HATE this monopoly company. If it is not one thing it is another. Windows updates are always crashing and end up with major losses of documents/pictures saved. No wonder everyone is moving over to iOS. Someone help please! It's my senior year, last semester of...
  4. How can I obtain Windows 10 and replace my Windows 11? Will I lose purchased apps? Please...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I obtain Windows 10 and replace my Windows 11? Will I lose purchased apps? Please...: When my computer crashed, Windows 11 was installed in the repair. I wish to return to Windows 10. How can I do this? Will I lose purchased apps? Is this a procedure a complete novice can do?...
  5. How can I obtain Windows 10 and replace my Windows 11? Will I lose purchased apps? Please...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I obtain Windows 10 and replace my Windows 11? Will I lose purchased apps? Please...: When my computer crashed, Windows 11 was installed in the repair. I wish to return to Windows 10. How can I do this? Will I lose purchased apps? Is this a procedure a complete novice can do?...
  6. How can I obtain Windows 10 and replace my Windows 11? Will I lose purchased apps? Please...

7. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.: Hi all, Ive got a challenge here !my pc is HP elite desk, running win 10 pro i7 . recently a lot of problems with edge not wanting to start up, and when it did, took a long time to load.am also getting lots of modem problems I am on BB cable INet via NBN AUS with TPG as...
  8. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.: Hi all, Ive got a challenge here !my pc is HP elite desk, running win 10 pro i7 . recently a lot of problems with edge not wanting to start up, and when it did, took a long time to load.am also getting lots of modem problems I am on BB cable INet via NBN AUS with TPG as...
  9. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows Losing DNS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Losing DNS: Windows 10 20H2. Windows 10 is randomly losing DNS and therefore this stops my access to the internet. However when the problem occurs, all other network access still works (eg/ network drives). It is random - it has happened twice today and other times occurs once a day...