Windows 10: Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled

Discus and support Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed and IPv6. I don't get any temporary IPv6 addresses. I only get a Link Local and the Global Unicast address from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard Driessen, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled

I have Windows 10 installed and IPv6. I don't get any temporary IPv6 addresses. I only get a Link Local and the Global Unicast address from the DHCP.'Use Temporary Addresses' are enabled and also 'randomize identifiers' are also enabled. See the output.How do I get my Windows machine to generate and use IPv6 Temporary addresses?======================C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 show privacy Querying active state... Temporary Address Parameters --------------------------------------------- Use Temporary Addresses : enabled Duplicate Address Detection Attempts: 3 Maxi

:)

Richard Driessen, Aug 27, 2021

2. Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging

I have seen wide differences in the way some hosts create their temporary IPv6 addresses. Some only have a few, while some have hundreds. This leads me to trying to find the answers to several questions, which so far have eluded me. I am aware that this
    feature can be disabled, and that is the only responses I seem to be able to find, but I want to understand the process behind their creation.

1. Specifically what triggers the creation of a new Temporary address.
      1. Is this something that is controlled at the OS level, or do applications have a say on when a new address is created.
      2. Why do some hosts create a new one every few seconds, and have hundreds active, while some have only one or two.
    2. What triggers the deletion of an old address, with the same sub questions as (1)?
    3. How do I log the fact that a new address has been created, for later auditing, and what triggered it? If I have hundreds of hosts, on my network, I need to be able to retrospectively ascertain who was the source of malicious traffic.
    4. How can I identify which process(es) is responsible for creating the hundreds of addresses?
    5. How do the parameters below affect address generation and deletion
      1. C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 show privacy

Querying active state...

Temporary Address Parameters

---------------------------------------------

Use Temporary Addresses : enabled

Duplicate Address Detection Attempts: 3

Maximum Valid Lifetime : 7d

Maximum Preferred Lifetime : 1d

Regenerate Time : 5s

Maximum Random Time : 10m

Random Time : 1m57s
    6. If I enter the command netsh interface ipv6 show addresses I get a long list of addresses with the same
      valid life and pref life. Why?

A lot of questions, Sorry about that, but I am hoping if anyone can answer them, it can help many people understand this strange behaviour, that seems to plague many people.

Kind Regards

Brent-Steel, Aug 27, 2021
  3. how do i enable IPv6

Hi,

Xbox One can connect to networks using two protocols that allow devices to transmit information: the traditional IPv4 communications protocol, and its newer version, IPv6. For Xbox One to connect to the Internet using IPv6, your home router needs to
    have IPv6 enabled, and your Internet service provider (ISP) must support IPv6.

IPv6 expands the number of possible IP addresses (the unique numbers that represent every device on the Internet). And—most useful for Xbox—the expansion removes the need for Network
    Address Translation (NAT)
    , which can interfere with multiplayer gaming and chat over IPv4 networks.

Your Xbox will work normally without IPv6 connectivity. However, for the best possible experience, we recommend enabling IPv6 on your network.

Here’s how to check:

• On your controller, Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
    • Select Settings > All settings.
    • Select Network > Network settings.
    If your Xbox One has IPv6 connectivity, your Current Network Status will read IPv4 & IPv6. (To see your actual IP and gateway addresses, select Advanced settings.)

Several home routers support IPv6 but disable it by default. Check the manual for your router, or visit our Networking
    Hardware Information
    support forum. If your router has IPv6 enabled, but your Xbox is connected on IPv4, I suggest that you try
    contacting your ISP to see if IPv6 is available in your area.

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Aug 27, 2021
  4. JSp42 Win User

Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled

Temporary IPv6 address not used for outbound connections?

With the latest WP8 version 8.0.10211.204 IPv6 is finally working for me. According to Neighbor Advertisements sent by the phone two addresses are configured using SLAAC. A permanent one that remains the same after e.g. rebooting and using Privacy Extensions
    a temporary one that changes quite frequently.

Other than e.g. Desktop-Windows WP8 is using the permanent address for outbound traffic rather than the temporary one. This contradicts the whole idea of the Privacy Extensions. Especially for a mobile device using the PE really make sense to make tracking
    more difficult.

Can anyone confirm my observations? Is there any way to modify that behavior?

JSp42, Aug 27, 2021
Thema:

Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled

1. Windows machine does not get temporary IPv6 address while settings are enabled - Similar Threads - machine does temporary

2. Configure the prioritization of IPv6 Addresses on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Configure the prioritization of IPv6 Addresses on Windows 10: Is it possible to change the prioritization of Global Unicast Addresses on Windows 10 to Unique Local Addresses? Right now, no matter what I do, there's always a v6 address at the top that's configured by the operating system. Even a manually configuration of the Network...
  3. Should I enable IPV6 ?

Should I enable IPV6 ?: From a fresh install. (1 hour old) Due to a bug, I had to disable IPV6 on my laptop. (MS Store could not download/update apps, error 0x80D02017) Is it important to have IPV6 enabled, should I enable it again? submitted by /u/Reidah [link] [comments]...
  4. Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary IPv6 Address Creation and logging: I have seen wide differences in the way some hosts create their temporary IPv6 addresses. Some only have a few, while some have hundreds. This leads me to trying to find the answers to several questions, which so far have eluded me. I am aware that this feature can be...
  5. Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot

Windows 10 no IPv6 address on boot: Hello everyone. I have found on my home and office ipv6 SLAAC enabled networks, Windows 10 computers frequently fails to self-configure IPv6 addresses when boot up. Toggling wifi off/on via the lower right wifi icon does not solve the problem. However, if I go into Control...
  6. stop windows from enabling ipv6

stop windows from enabling ipv6: Windows 10 keep enabling IPV6 everytime my computer shuts down, and for my vpn to work properly i cannot have ipv6 turned on, how do i turn this off without windows turning it back on submitted by /u/leo14770 [link] [comments]...
  7. Network connection settings problem IPv6 address

Network connection settings problem IPv6 address: Hi everyone, I always choose to “Obtain an IPv6 address automatically” in my network settings, but the settings often change to “Use the following IPv6 address” by itself where the IPv6 address is changed to some weird values like fdaa::1:f2 and Subnet prefix length is...
  8. Unable to get ipv6 address

Unable to get ipv6 address: I have problem with ipv6 connectivity.I have 2 different OS on the same machine, but only ubuntu can access ipv6. On win10, it seems that the ipv6 address cannot be assigned to the OS. I can only get one fe80: gateway. Another win10 device can get ipv6 address through the...
  9. static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?

static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?: A machine running 64-bit win10 belongs to one WorkGroup, connects to the LAN via EtherNet for speed but it must be available via wifi also, so both connections are open. For an Android device to access an app served by a webapp served on the win10 machine, the win10 machine...
  10. Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows How to Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 The Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a new suite of standard protocols for the network layer of the Internet. IPv6 is designed to solve many of the...