Windows 10: Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Discus and support Windows Mail - Adding an imap account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, So, I want to link my work mail account to the desktop app and no matter what I always end up having a "Can't get mail" message below my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marechan, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Marechan Win User

Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Hello,

So, I want to link my work mail account to the desktop app and no matter what I always end up having a "Can't get mail" message below my account.

Step by step, here's what I'm doing :

1. Under Account, select Add Account
    2. In the popup, choose Advanced setup and then Internet Mail pop or pmap
    3. Fill in the form following my mail specifications
    4. Hit Sign In
    5. The account is added but "can't get mail"
    6. Clicking it opens a window where I see Username and Password. The later being way longer than what I typed earlier.
    7. If I change the Password it reset to what it was.

NB : I checked the infos I entered in step 3.

NB2 : Do I have to write the ports somewhere during config?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Regards,

:)

Marechan, Jun 5, 2020
  2. cirko Win User

Solution to Windows 10 Mail not correctly recognizing IMAP mail accounts

When setting up a new mail account in the new Windows 10 Mail app, some providers are recognized as POP3 servers automatically, regardless that they offer IMAP as well.

This is due to the fact that when the app prompts the user for an address to be associatied with the new account, it automatically checks the servers present at the address, and may stick to the POP server instead of the IMAP one.

It is impossible to manually define the server from the beginning. It is also impossible to do this offline and change the settings before the app connects to the server, as this leads to a connectivity error.

For some users, this may lead to two very unpleasant behaviors:

• The account will be handled as POP3; Mail automatically downloads ALL the messages from at least the last three months, marking them as unread. Combined with the fact that there is no possibility to select all messages to mark them read, this can be very painful. [Note: The ability to select all messages has been added since December 2015; the issue of this question has not been touched, though]
    • When you try to change the server address to the IMAP address of your provider, syncing will fail completely, even if you specify the correct ports and SSL (e.g. imap.mail.org:997:1). The errors 0x80072726 or 0x8007274d may be shown. This might be attributed to the fact that you don't have the possibility to specify the protocol anymore at this point.

cirko, Jun 5, 2020
  3. Jayzilla Win User
    Delete mails in Outlook but want to keep mails untouch in webmail

When I deleted an email in outlook and my webmail got deleted too. I want to keep all the inbox mails from the webmail even I complete deleted in outlook. I spend hrs can't think it out how. Any step by step instruction? I'm using IMAP account btw. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Jayzilla, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Adding another Account

Hi, David.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you perform the steps below and check if the issue persist:

Go to the Security section of your Google account

Under Connected apps and sites, go to Apps connected to your account, make sure Windows is on the list.

After the Google account is connected with your computer, you need to create the new IMAP account. But, before you create a new IMAP account in your Mail app, you need to enable IMAP usage in your Google account. Follow the steps
    below to do so:

• Sign in to Gmail
    • Click the gear in the top right
    • Select Settings
    • Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP
    • Select Enable IMAP
    • Click Save Changes

After you enabled IMAP usage in your Google account, you can create the new IMAP account in your Mail app, and everything should work fine. Just follow these steps to create the new IMAP account:

• Open the Mail app
    • Go to Settings (Cog icon), Accounts, Add Account, Advanced Setup, and then to Internet Email
    • Fill in the details like this:
    • Account Name: {any string like “My Gmail”}
    • Your Name: {your name like “Fred Bloggs”}
    • Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com:993
    • Account Type: IMAP4
    • User name: {your gmail address}
    • Password: {the one time password you just generated, otherwise just your gmail password}
    • Outgoing SMTP email server: smtp.gmail.com:465
    • All checkboxes checked

• 4.Now try to connect to your Google account with the new Account.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

1. Windows Mail - Adding an imap account - Similar Threads - Mail Adding imap

2. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  3. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  4. Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App

Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App: Here in the UK many people have an email address provided by the main telco which is BT. This email address ends in @btinternet.com. It can be used via POP or IMAP but increasingly people are using IMAP. Over time these people have added the email addresses of contacts to...
  5. No junk/spam filter for IMAP accounts in Windows Mail?

No junk/spam filter for IMAP accounts in Windows Mail?: Hi, Hoping someone can help me as I've becoming overwhelmed with junk mail/spam 100+ per day. This relates to an IMAP account I access via Windows Mail. There doesn't seem to be any kind of spam filter built into Windows Mail, except for with the two Hotmail accounts I...
  6. Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app

Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app: I left it running for two hours and got no messages. Had to force close Mail app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-an-imap-account-in-windows-mail-app/adf62488-ba04-451e-ab52-aa5f6d63b7de
  7. Adding accounts to mail for windows 10

Adding accounts to mail for windows 10: Hi, I tried to add additional mail accounts (Settings>Manage accounts>Add accounts) but the pop-up doesn't show, and hence unable to proceed and add new accounts. Tried uninstalling and re-installing but it still didn't work. Is there another way to add the accounts? Thank...
  8. adding icloud mail account

adding icloud mail account: Hi there, I keep getting a message saying my icloud account details are out of date. I click on fix account and enter my current password only to have the message come up again. I went to my apple id page and generated an app specific password for windows 10 mail but...
  9. adding a mail account to mail and keeping it there

adding a mail account to mail and keeping it there: I have been using mail for some time. it has a number of accounts. recently my most used account (my every day one) disappeared. I reloaded it (its Hotmail) and used it. the next time I used it, it had gone again and now I have to add it as an account, then it disappears and...
  10. Adding new accounts to Windows Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Adding new accounts to Windows Mail: I have added a gmail account to the Mail app but cannot add a Plusnet POP3 account in Settings/Accounts/Add account. In 'other accounts' I enter the email address and password and get the message : 'We couldn't find info for that account. Make sure that the email address is...