Windows 10: Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

Discus and support Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have two microsoft emails, one ends in hotmail.com and the other in outlook.com. If i login into the outlook.com website and send a message from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Miguel Simões_PT, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

I have two microsoft emails, one ends in hotmail.com and the other in outlook.com.

If i login into the outlook.com website and send a message from the hotmail email to the outlook one, it will display my name correctly, which is "Miguel Simões". The same thing happens if i send a mail from the outlook mail to the hotmail one.

However, i also use the windows 10 app "Mail and calendar" and something strange happens when i send a mail from my hotmail account through that app. My name will appear as "Miguel Sim?es" to the person who receives it. The strange thing is that, if i send an email through the app with the outlook account, my name will show correctly.

I have no idea why it's only affecting the hotmail account and why it only happens when i send through the windows app.

I have tried removing the accounts from the app and even uninstalling the app itself but the problem doesn't go away. There is no option on the app that let's me change the name as far as i can tell.

The following pic shows 2 emails i sent from the hotmail account to the outlook one, one was sent through the website, the other through the app.

Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character) 01ec1bd4-ea85-4fed-bfb4-315fa3518588?upload=true.png

Does anybody know what's going on? The app clearly accepts the "õ" letter because i have no problems when i send an email through the outlook account.

:)

Miguel Simões_PT, Dec 17, 2019

2. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

I have two microsoft emails, one ends in hotmail.com and the other in outlook.com.

If i login into the outlook.com website and send a message from the hotmail email to the outlook one, it will display my name correctly, which is "Miguel Simões". The same thing happens if i send a mail from the outlook mail to the hotmail one.

However, i also use the windows 10 app "Mail and calendar" and something strange happens when i send a mail from my hotmail account through that app. My name will appear as "Miguel Sim?es" to the person who receives it. The strange thing is that, if i send
    an email through the app with the outlook account, my name will show correctly.

I have no idea why it's only affecting the hotmail account and why it only happens when i send through the windows app.

I have tried removing the accounts from the app and even uninstalling the app itself but the problem doesn't go away. There is no option on the app that let's me change the name as far as i can tell.

The following pic shows 2 emails i sent from the hotmail account to the outlook one, one was sent through the website, the other through the app.

Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character) 01ec1bd4-ea85-4fed-bfb4-315fa3518588?upload=true.png

Does anybody know what's going on? The app clearly accepts the "õ" letter because i have no problems when i send an email through the outlook account.

Miguel Simões_PT, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character) :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

While sending mail, does not show my name, instead shows my email address

I would suggest you to follow the steps to change the Account display in Mail app:

1. Open Mail app

2. Select “settings”.

3. Under settings select “Manage Account”.

4. Click on the Account name

5. Change the Account name

If still not working, try the steps below:

• In the Mail app, open Settings (the gear icon).
    • Click 'Manage Accounts'
    • Select the account you want to change the outgoing display name for
    • Click 'options for syncing email, contacts, and calendar'
    • in the account sync settings, there should be a 'Your name' text field that is used as the display name for outgoing emails.

ManojKumarMK, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

1. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character) - Similar Threads - mail app shows

2. GMail account in MAIL showing incorrect name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GMail account in MAIL showing incorrect name.: I have added a g mail account to my Mail app and it seems to be working well sending and receiving except for one minor problem. When i send emails from this account, it shows up in the recipient's inbox as coming from a completely different name even though the email address...
  3. GMail account in MAIL showing incorrect name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GMail account in MAIL showing incorrect name.: I have added a g mail account to my Mail app and it seems to be working well sending and receiving except for one minor problem. When i send emails from this account, it shows up in the recipient's inbox as coming from a completely different name even though the email address...
  4. My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile: My outlooks shows strange characters in normal windows profile but in another local windows profile it is normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-outlook-shows-strange-characters-in-normal/566de5ca-11b7-4efb-93cc-b89f70116fe0
  5. My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile

My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile: My outlooks shows strange characters in normal windows profile but in another local windows profile it is normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-outlook-shows-strange-characters-in-normal/566de5ca-11b7-4efb-93cc-b89f70116fe0
  6. Your Phone App Showing Incorrect Device Name

Your Phone App Showing Incorrect Device Name: When I pair my phone to my laptop with the Your Phone app, my phone's name is not showing properly. Everything like notifications syncing to the laptop, ability to view messages from the PC is working perfectly but my phone's name is incorrect. How do I change the name to the...
  7. Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange Characters in Links in Microsoft Mail: I sometimes forward a link to people. I have noticed that occasionally, when I click on an e-mail icon to bring up Microsoft Mail, where the link should be is a string of strange characters which looks like an Oriental language. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if...
  8. Windows 10 Mail app displays some Italian characters incorrect

Windows 10 Mail app displays some Italian characters incorrect: I am using Windows 10 Mail app just because it is simple. Recently we moved to an Italian speaking area and started receiving mails in Italian. I realized some letters are displayed like chinese/japanese characters in Windows 10 Mail app. When I check the mail from web...
  9. Keyboard showing incorrect characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard showing incorrect characters: Cannot get pound symbol, while @ and " symbols appear to have swapped. I have ensured UK English is on the Control settings and makes no difference...
  10. Strange characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange characters: I see this quite often where strange characters replace, say an apostrophe. Here's an example taken from my Google calendar event: I had typed "Schnoodle's" in the event title. When I go to view it later here's what I see; well it wouldn't post the paste so will have to type...