Windows 10: Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send

Discus and support Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have found when using a Gmail account with Windows 10 Mail App that it uses the wrong sender name. This has been posted about before and I could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by [Don't Blame Me], Sep 22, 2019.

1. Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send

I have found when using a Gmail account with Windows 10 Mail App that it uses the wrong sender name. This has been posted about before and I could not find a posted solution. This was the fix for me.

It all relates to the order in which email accounts are created. Change the order and the results change. This means deleting them and adding them again at the bottom of the list.

Here is what happened to me. I set up my Windows 10 Mail App with my first email address, my Windows ID / hotmail account, sending emails using my real name.

My Dad has Alzheimers so I added his BT Internet email account to the mail App so I can manage his emails remotely for him, and send them using his name rather than mine. (I telephone him and he tells me what he wants to say in reply, and on bad days I type it for him).

Then I added another hotmail account that I use for blogging, and sends emails with my 'public posting persona' rather than my real name.

Then I added my old Gmail account and that is when the problem occurred. When you choose Google from the 'list of types' when adding an account, the 'helper' doesn't ask you who you want to send email as. Instead it looks through the list of previous non-microsoft accounts, picks the first one it finds, and assumes that you want to send email claiming to be this person. This isn't very helpful of the 'helper'. So having added the email accounts in the order I did, my Gmail account now started impersonating my Dad - using his name as the sender instead of the one Google things I am.

I checked the registry and Dad's name was not in there anywhere.

The solution was to delete Dad's email account, add my gmail account, and then add Dad's account back in again.

There is a principle in software engineering that the order in which data is processed should not affect the outcome. This is a 'bug' in the microsoft / google email-adding 'helper'.

So to get it to work the way you want, you need to ensure that Gmail is either the first non-microsoft email account in the list, or there is another non-microsoft email account further up the list that has the same personal name you want to use in Gmail. You cannot edit the order of the list of email accounts in Windows 10 Mail App, so you have to delete them and add them in the right order. This shouldn't be how it works, but it does work that way.

:)

[Don't Blame Me], Sep 22, 2019

2. Outgoing mails not displaying sender's name on the Windows 10 Mail app

Oh my... u totally have no idea what I'm talking about....

The issue here us not about the wrong name in my contact. It is about my name not appearing as the Sender but my email address is being displayed instead when I'm sending out mails.

Welll.... thanks for the suggestion anyways. Maybe someone from the msdn can help.

Jeffrey Yeo, Sep 22, 2019
  3. W10 Mail App displays sender as "name(at)outlook.com ON BEHALF OF name(at)mydomain.nl"

This problem presents itself in the Windows 10 Mail app and does not show up on Outlook.com

I use Outlook.com in combination with a connected account name(at)mydomain.nl

Since last december there has been a change in the way the Mail app is displaying the sender address.

Before Christmas it would just state: "name(at)mydomain.nl"

After Christmas the Mail app displays the sender as "name(at)outlook.com on behalf of name(at)mydomain.nl"

At oulook.com

• I have deleted my connected accounts and re-installed them again.
    • I have also set and reset the Default sender address a number of times.
    • With little improvement.

I suspect that the W10 Mail app is be a bit off in displaying the original sender address where it should show the return address like other mail clients do.

Stephan Paternotte, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send

Senders name in w 10 Mail app.

So recipients of your mail are seeing your full name as you listed it under the Sender's name?

But in your own Sent Mail box it shows your name as Me? and also on Calendar where you see it referring to you it also says Me?

I think it's by design that where we see our own name it's shortened to Me but thankfully now those you send email to now see your intended Full Name.

If I have any of this wrong please correct it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send

1. Windows Mail App uses wrong sender name in messages I send - Similar Threads - Mail App uses

2. Cannot change sender name in Mail app, "send messages using this name" setting is missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change sender name in Mail app, "send messages using this name" setting is missing?: My Gmail account's name was updated a long time ago, and I didn't realize when I sent emails from the Mail app they were still showing up as being sent from the old name. I went into the settings to change it, but the option to change the display name is not there. It is my...
  3. Cannot change sender name in Mail app, "send messages using this name" setting is missing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change sender name in Mail app, "send messages using this name" setting is missing?: My Gmail account's name was updated a long time ago, and I didn't realize when I sent emails from the Mail app they were still showing up as being sent from the old name. I went into the settings to change it, but the option to change the display name is not there. It is my...
  4. Wrong Sender Shown in Mail App

Wrong Sender Shown in Mail App: When I send an email using the Mail app in Windows 10, my wife's name is shown as the sender rather than me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sender-shown-in-mail-app/a27f3c43-0875-4747-8465-1c4d983b2332
  5. Mail app "send as" name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mail app "send as" name: [ATTACH] Hi all, I can't seem to figure out how to change the "send as" name for individual accounts in the Mail app. Nothing I find online seems to work; I don't have the option in my settings. Any ideas?...
  6. No option to change sender name in Mail app

No option to change sender name in Mail app: [ATTACH] Hi there -- it appears that the "send your messages using this name" is missing from the mail sync settings for all of my accounts (both gmail and outlook email accounts). As a result, emails sent using the Mail app all have the same name for the sender,...
  7. Change sender name on Windows10 mail app.

Change sender name on Windows10 mail app.: I am using Windows 10 mail app with all my gmail accounts, to keep them in one place. It works great but the one thing I don't like is it uses my name as the sender along with the email address. I want to be able to specify what name it shows for each account. I also saw...
  8. Problems with Mail app sending the wrong name from different accounts

Problems with Mail app sending the wrong name from different accounts: This is my problem: I have 3 different accounts on my Mail app on Windows 10. 1- Personal Gmail 2- Business#1 Gmail 3- Business#2 Private server Each account has been set up with a different name, so the mail name display accordingly, however, I've been noticing that...
  9. Mail App send your messages using this name

Mail App send your messages using this name: Hi Community, Since updating windows 10 and adding all my accounts back into the Mail app the option to : "send your messages using this name" had vanished from the sync options. Where can this now be found? [ATTACH]...
  10. Mail desktop app and account sender name

Mail desktop app and account sender name: Not sure if this has been posted before, but the mail app sends out my name as "RobertXPS13" How can I change this? I'm using this Gmail account to send out professional emails and it looks bad that I have that as my alias. I'd appreciate any help! submitted by /u/krnrice27...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft mail app uses wrong sender name for gmail accounts

2. change the send from name in windows mail

3. mail app changing senders name

4. windows 10 mail app send from name,
  5. gmail account picking up wrong sender name,
  6. change send name in mail app,
  7. inbody:BT gmail.com,
  8. multiple gmail accounts in microsoft mail app name wrong,
  9. using mail app sending emails from wrong address,
  10. change gmail name in windows 10,
  11. windows mail showing wrong from address,