Windows 10: Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound

Discus and support Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So, I've set the custom sound in the Sounds control panel and turned on ALL the options in Mail >Settings > Notifications. It will either NOT play ANY... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by StephenWConklin, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound

So, I've set the custom sound in the Sounds control panel and turned on ALL the options in Mail >Settings > Notifications. It will either NOT play ANY sound, or it defaults to the default Windows Notification sound. The sound I'm trying to set as email notification is the classic AOL "You've Got Mail!". Now, I can test the sound in Sounds, and it plays just fine, but it won't play it when I get an email. I've been dealing with this issue since I first installed Windows 10 Home back in 2015, and it's present on a brand new installation of Windows 10 Professional on a just built machine. I've been able to successfully change this notification sound on earlier versions of Windows XP, 7. Does anyone know of a fix, or exactly what's going on with this?

:)

StephenWConklin, Apr 16, 2021

2. Mail notification sound doesn't play

Having a similar issue; I have Mail set up to show banners and play a sound. Confirmed in Notification settings. I set up my sound scheme to play AOL's old "You've got mail!" when I get a new mail. Set it as Desktop Mail Notification. Also have it set as New Mail Notification, but Windows 10 still insists on playing the Generic Notification sound set as Notification. I don't want to change that, as I know that if I do, every time I get a notification, "You've got mail!" Don't want that; it'll get old.

StrangeCrunchy1, Apr 16, 2021
  3. Edwin Win User
    Play a Sound for Windows 10 Mail Notification

It should play the default 'Mail Notification' sound; you can set your desired sound by clicking on Browse 3.

I had to jump through a few hoops to make sure it worked properly:

Set 'Play a sound' in Mail Settings:

Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound [​IMG]

Set Notifications on in Settings App:

and set sound in the 'Sounds' Panel...
    make sure you set the sound for 'New Mail Notification' not 'Desktop Mail Notification', (or, do both)
    and make sure the Test button is not grayed out/Apply and OK...

Edwin, Apr 16, 2021
  4. Finn A Win User

Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound

Windows 10 - Outlook 2016 New mail notification sound

The link points to an article that proposes the same steps that the previous response also suggests. As I already responded, I already did all this. It has no effect.

However, meanwhile I have found the cause of the problem Windows 10 has a setting to control if it should "get notifications from these senders". This setting was set to on for "Outlook 2016". As long as this setting is on, Windows 10 seems to override
    whatever settings Outlook has (including the "new mail notification" sound), "eat" the notification and always play its own Windows notification sound.

Turn off the "Outlook 2016" in the Windows notifications from these senders settings, and the "New mail notification" sound will be played as expected.

Finn A, Apr 16, 2021
Thema:

Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound

1. Windows Mail refuses to play custom New Mail Notification sound - Similar Threads - Mail refuses play

2. No new mail notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No new mail notifications: Hi, i am not getting any new mail notifications either the badge on the icon or in the notification centre or even a banner but however i do get all those notifications when i open the mail app bit late though lol, i am using windows 11, and all the appropriate settins are...
  3. No new mail notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No new mail notifications: Hi, i am not getting any new mail notifications either the badge on the icon or in the notification centre or even a banner but however i do get all those notifications when i open the mail app bit late though lol, i am using windows 11, and all the appropriate settins are...
  4. Yahoo mail new mail notification sound

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Yahoo mail new mail notification sound: I am using Yahoo mail on my desktop PC Windows 10. I have a back up email with Mozilla Thunderbird. On Thunderbird, when I receive a new message, it plays You've got some mail, singing.I have tried to put this on Yahoo, without success. I have opened Settings > More Settings...
  5. Windows 10 Mail Notification no Sound

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail Notification no Sound: Re: Windows 10 Ver. 1909 (build 18363.1443) I realize this is an old problem, but having read most if not ALL previous posts on this issue, I am unable to find a resolution to my problem. I have just started using Windows 10 Mail to handle my email. Till now was using...
  6. NO SOUND IN MAIL NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO SOUND IN MAIL NOTIFICATION: I believe that I have every setting checked in the proper places in Settings. I do receive a banner from the Notification Center, but no sound. I have a sound set up in Sound Control Panel>Sounds in both "Desktop Mail Notification" and "New Mail Notification" and both sounds...
  7. No notification Sound or Pop up for new mail in MAIL APP in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    No notification Sound or Pop up for new mail in MAIL APP in Windows 10: NO Notification getting for new Email in MAIL APP. Tried all the settings in Notification, personal. Searched net for any notification settings I have missed but to no help. Is anybody else facing the same problem and found any solution OR should I switch to Outlook or...
  8. No mail notification sound

in Browsers and Email
    No mail notification sound: can't get mail notification sound for Outlook 2013. settings-apps and system sounds properly configured 18042
  9. Mail notification sound doesn't play

in Browsers and Email
    Mail notification sound doesn't play: I'm running Wn10 and I would like to change some sounds. I'm running a background theme. I have downloaded a Wav file (thefreesite.com), added this file in a sound scheme (mail notification), tested it, saved it as modified scheme, but the sound doesn't play at all (when mail...
  10. Play a Sound for Windows 10 Mail Notification

in Browsers and Email
    Play a Sound for Windows 10 Mail Notification: I have the 'Play a sound' checked in the mail app but have yet to here a sound when mail arrives. What sound does it play??? Can one set the sound (.wav) in the program event sounds?? James 103726