Windows 10: Windows Mail

Discus and support Windows Mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello Everyone; I'm one of the new kids on here so try putting up with my (silly?) questions if you will. Like many I've been very happily running... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by davidvh2, Aug 3, 2015.

1. davidvh2 Win User

Windows Mail

Hello Everyone; I'm one of the new kids on here so try putting up with my (silly?) questions if you will.

Like many I've been very happily running Windows Mail (Not Windows Live Mail) on Windows 7. Today I've "upgraded" to Windows 10 Pro & whilst just about all of the software I had running on 7, continues to run on Windows 10 unfortunately Windows Mail will not. Has anyone yet managed to fix this (to me) very annoying problem? It was said that Windows Mail was only for Vista but some smart guys out there soon solved that & I'm hoping somebody has done the same again. I have alternatives but none are acceptable apart from reverting back to Windows 7.

:)

davidvh2, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows Defender Blocks Game from writing to User file.

This worked great. Thank you

OutlookE-Mail, Aug 3, 2015
  3. AT&T Tilt & Motorola H700 Bluetooth

I have the AT&T Tilt and tried using it with two different Motorola H700 bluetooth devices. My complaint is the range is very short (only about 3 or 4 feet) with both bluetooth devices. Sometimes it is necessary for me to hold the phone in my hand to maintain
    satisfactory communication. Question: Which bluetooth device on the market has the longest range with the AT&T Tilt?? I have read both good and bad comments about the H700. However, I am also suspicious of the AT&T Tilt as well. The reason is-- I experienced
    the same issues with the HTC 8125 phone also. So this possibly is a HTC problem.

Mail Bucket, Aug 3, 2015
  4. sptrout Win User

Windows Mail

Windows Live Mail works fine with W10. What is the difference between WLM and Windows Mail? Just curious. I agree that the packaged mail program is a problem: I can't find the Contacts for one. I have the same issue with Outlook for Android, with a twist. The Contacts are there, but I do not know where they are coming from or how to change them, and they do not match the Contacts in WLM. Microsoft seems to be having problems with their multiple versions of mail and compatibility.

sptrout, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Yes, W-10 sets Windows Mail to the level it was when it came out of MS.

I did all the conversion (tweaks) to make it work in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, then copied all the files in the Windows Mail program folder, in 8.1, to a folder on my Utilities disk (& Flash Drive).

After W-10 has done its worse, I go in and with "Grant Admin Full control" running, I take ownership of all the files in the Windows Mail folder and then delete them (all).
    Then I copy all the Windows Mail files that I have stored on my Util's disk and paste them into the Windows Mail folder on the hard drive. Then I right-click on WinMail.exe and 'Send to Desktop, & create a shortcut". Job done.

I can then import my saved address book and saved email folders. I've gotten the process down to less than five minutes.
    * It's important to always work with the files in the "Program Files" folder, regardless of whether you're running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the OS.
    I can't pin down the exact file, but there is a difference between the files in the 32 bit version of Windows and the files used in the 64 bit version. I have them both, in two different folders, appropriately named.
    What works for Windows 8.1 also works for Windows 10. I've done it many times so far.

good luck

*Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 3, 2015
  6. I just set up a new system or a friend and he did not like Windows Mail. It was fine setting up a new Microsoft Outlook account but was miserable when it cam to setting up his ISP e-mail account that he was using with WLM. I installed WLM and it was fine setting up his ISP e-mail account but failed setting up his new MS Outlook e-mail account. Now he uses WLM for his e-mail and if he wants to see if he is getting anything on his Outlook.com account, he needs to startup the Internet Explorer.

alkaufmann, Aug 3, 2015
  7. sptrout Win User
    Thanks TechnoMage for the information; I will have to dig into it. Actually,Outlook for Android is my main problem now; it really has issues. But, Microsoft is upgrading it nearly every week so maybe they will correct the Contacts problems.

I wonder how much longer WLM will be supported? It still boots up as WLM 2012 even with a new install. I see a plug slowly being pulled from the wall up in Microsoft land.

sptrout, Aug 3, 2015
  8. davidvh2 Win User

Windows Mail

Hi TechnoMage Are you certain you're talking about Windows Mail or are you talking about Windows Live Mail? There is a massive difference & it's not uncommon at all for some folks to be less than precise.

I did notice that on my Win 10 upgrade all the files for Windows Mail were in the correct place in "Program Files" apart from the file Winmail.exe This I quickly "replaced" so I believed it was there....just not visible. To do this I had to "Take over" the folder. Also the shortcut on my Task bar was there. However, clicking the Task bar's shortcut or double clicking the exe file simply brought up a notice saying that the program couldn't run on the system. You can I hope, understand my query as to whether you're talking about WM or WLM. Thanks for the input.

davidvh2, Aug 3, 2015
  9. noquiexis Win User
    FYI - I am multi-booting Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, and Windows 10 64 bit. Some programs and DOS games that run under Windows Vista will not run under Windows 7. So far I have everything from Windows 7 (with some upgrades and registry patches) running under Windows 10 except for Windows Mail.

I did the workaround from Windows 7 Forums to get Windows Mail (WinMail.exe) to work on Windows 7. It comes up with "Windows Mail 2006". Since both Windows Mail 32 bit and 64 bit files are supplied with Windows 7 (7/13/2009, WinMail.exe 390kb) and Windows 10 (7/10/2015, WinMail.exe 407kb), it would seem that there should be another way to enable this program in Windows 10 without copying old files into the directories.

1. After backing up my Windows Mail directories in Windows 10, I tried the workaround linked above to no avail. Windows Mail still did not start.

2. I replaced the msoe.dll that the workaround changed with the Windows 10 file. I did not change the registry entries, but left them the way the workaround had them. After a restart, Windows Mail still does not open.

If no one else comes up with a better idea, I may use TechnoMage's method as a last resort. I would really rather use the files that come with the Windows 10 upgrade.
    *Huh*Confused*Huh

noquiexis, Aug 8, 2015
  10. davidvh2 Win User
    Hi. Since I wrote my query, I've since managed to get Windows Mail (WM) running perfectly on Windows 10.
    All the files including the folder that I'd created in Windows 7 were carried over to Win 10 but as WM didn't work, I deleted the lot & started over by once again creating the folder (Windows Mail), applyied "Take Ownrship" & I then copied all the files I had on a memory stick from Win 7 into that folder. I then ran the file Winmailedit.reg After that WM worked perfectly & even had on of my mail accounts already configured.

davidvh2, Aug 8, 2015
  11. noquiexis Win User
    davidvh2,

Thank you! I don't know if there is any real difference in the Windows Mail files from one generation to the next, but I suspect that something must have changed. I am satisfied with the performance of Windows Mail on Windows 7, so I may take your advice.

A cursory look through "WinMailEdit.reg" shows many similarities to the same-named file that I got from the Windows 7 Forums. They both say "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00", too. Since I have already backed up the Windows 10 Windows Mail files, it should be a simple test to copy those from my Windows 7 drive to the Windows 10 drive.

It just bugs me that the files are there, but the program will not start as shipped. Microsoft claims that they want to ditch PC-based mail clients, but I do not trust the World Wide Web mail clients. There is no such thing as security on "the internet". My ISP uses an IMAP mail server, but I keep my messages locally and delete those from that server. Us old fogeys are seriously reluctant to change!

*Wink *Smile *Wink

noquiexis, Aug 8, 2015
  12. davidvh2 Win User
    I agree with you whole heartedly about security & also I don't like handling mail on the web one little bit. In fact whilst I do regularly log on to my various accounts, it's only to check out & delete any Spam. My mail is then downloaded into MY computer so I don't rely on anyone else to store it for me. I've also noticed over the years that more & more people are using free mail services (particularly gmail) & that many actually believe their only way of handling their mail IS via the web. Many have no idea what a regular e-Mail client is. I've also noticed that as the habit of using web mail has increased, so has the poor etiquette of actually forwarding mail (Fw: Fw: left on, use of CC rather than BCC & no care in deleting other folks addresses or irrelevant stuff including large blank spaces.

davidvh2, Aug 8, 2015
  13. resi1972 Win User

Windows Mail

Hi my name is René,

Glad to see that i am not the only one with the same question. I used "Windows Mail"in windows 7 with the same steps as above and that worked like a charm. Now followed the same steps again after a upgrade to Win10. But i still keep getting the error can't not start windows mail because of a DLL error. When i click on a MAILTO link i get the error "Windows mail can not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded or initialized or found. (translation not sure From dutch to english)

Do i have to set owner back to trusted installer? From start after taking permission i deleted the whole Windows mail folder and replaced is from my backup-disk in the 32bits folder the backup folder 32 bits and 64bits folder the backup from the 64bits folder.

I really dont like to use WLM beacause of the different folder structure. Also importing the "Windows Mail"folder into WML its makes a mess of the emails.

So i am hoping that someone can help me get this to work.

EDIT SOLVED *Biggrin

Searching and trying all sunday. Started over again as explained in this topic (post 1 and post 10)and it fired my windows mail up right away. Copied back my windows mail folder from backup disk and all the folders where there *Smile

resi1972, Aug 22, 2015
  14. rgauchey Win User
    I use Windows Mail (Vista). Copied it from a 64 bit machine of mine that's old. You have to delete the existing Windows Mail in program files before copying this over. Works just fine.

rgauchey, Aug 23, 2015
  15. davidvh2 Win User
    It's more complicated than that so I don't understand how you managed.

davidvh2, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

Windows Mail

1. Windows Mail - Similar Threads - Mail

2. Yahoo Sign Mail Problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Yahoo Sign Mail Problem: Looks like we can't get you in your account on this device. Please try signing in from the device you use most often.Start overthis message happen during signing in my Yahoo maili tried several browseralso i used same pcand tried with new pcplz help...
  3. Yahoo Sign Mail Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yahoo Sign Mail Problem: Looks like we can't get you in your account on this device. Please try signing in from the device you use most often.Start overthis message happen during signing in my Yahoo maili tried several browseralso i used same pcand tried with new pcplz help...
  4. Yahoo Sign Mail Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Warum akzeptiert Microsoft meine E-Mail Adresse nicht?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Warum akzeptiert Microsoft meine E-Mail Adresse nicht?: Wenn ich mich bei meinem primären Microsoft Konto anmelden möchte wird mir angezeigt, dass kein Konto mit meiner E-Mail existiert, wenn ich jedoch ein neues Konto mit der gleichen E-Mail erstellen wollen würde werde ich darauf hingewiesen, dass bereits ein Konto mit dieser...
  6. Warum akzeptiert Microsoft meine E-Mail Adresse nicht?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warum akzeptiert Microsoft meine E-Mail Adresse nicht?: Wenn ich mich bei meinem primären Microsoft Konto anmelden möchte wird mir angezeigt, dass kein Konto mit meiner E-Mail existiert, wenn ich jedoch ein neues Konto mit der gleichen E-Mail erstellen wollen würde werde ich darauf hingewiesen, dass bereits ein Konto mit dieser...
  7. Warum akzeptiert Microsoft meine E-Mail Adresse nicht?

8. Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Live Mail: I know Windows Live Mail is out of date and not supported by Microsoft, but I still use it and have for a long time, and want to continue to use it. But just yesterday I can no longer sign in to either of my email addresses because they won't accept my password. I have...
  9. Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail: I know Windows Live Mail is out of date and not supported by Microsoft, but I still use it and have for a long time, and want to continue to use it. But just yesterday I can no longer sign in to either of my email addresses because they won't accept my password. I have...
  10. Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Customization