Windows 10: Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files ok.

Discus and support Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files ok. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files play fine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chernia, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Chernia Win User

Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files ok.

Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files play fine.

:)

Chernia, Nov 21, 2020

2. Unable to play .wav audio file

Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I like to know; on which application you are you are trying to play .Wav sound file?

I like to inform you that; you can play .wav audio file format
    using Windows Media Player and Windows 10 Groove Music app.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to Right click on the
    .wav
    audio file > Select Properties > click on the
    Change
    button adjacent to Open with option > Select Windows Media player option from the given list > Click on
    Ok.

If the issue still persists, run audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar and select
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Hardware and Sound.

• Select Playing Audio under
      Sound
      and follow the on screen.
    For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Cannot convert MP3 to wav to burn audio CD

I have made a mp3 recording using Perfect recorder app on Windows 8 Phone Lumia 635. I have transfered this 2 mp3 files to a Windows 10 PC. I can play this files without any problem in Windows media player or the new metro style player.

But when I try to burn it as audio CD with the media player it throws an error (there is a red cross indicating some unspecified problem). When I try to convert it with the VLC media player, it produces a playable but a very noisy poor quality wav file.

Other mp3 to wav cobnverters, like Freac or Free online mp3 to wav converter, fail completely producing almost empty file. There is probably some problem with file headers, I have tried a software that should fix mp3 but no success.

Is there any other way how to convert or burn audio cd from playable but somehow corrupted mp3?

Vojtěch Dohnal, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Windows Media Player 12 stopped working suddenly, wont play mp3 or wav

They all play in my Windows Media Player (and any other player). They use the PCM codec in unsigned 8-bit format (pcm_u8).

Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files.  MP3 files ok. [​IMG]

PCM was the first and simplest of all audio formats. It is the standard for the WAV format and should be playable in anything.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/3...s-media-player

Whatever is preventing you playing them is specific to your machine. Have you installed any third-party codecs? If so, it seems that you may be using a broken PCM codec in place of the standard Windows one.

Thema:

1. Windows Media Player 10 will not play the audio on Wav files. MP3 files ok. - Similar Threads - Media Player play

2. MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav: Windows 11.The MS media player application crashes when I open an audio file. Crash files are generated. However, the app seems to stay alive long enough to record the file name in its "recent media" list.Interestingly, I can play the files that are listed in the recent media...
  3. MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS media player crashes when opening an audio file MP3 or wav: Windows 11.The MS media player application crashes when I open an audio file. Crash files are generated. However, the app seems to stay alive long enough to record the file name in its "recent media" list.Interestingly, I can play the files that are listed in the recent media...
  4. Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files: Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files consistently. Sometimes it will and sometimes mostly it won't. Occasionally it will work if I reboot. Windows 11 is updated. The error code I'm getting for both of these files is: We can't open x file. It uses unsupported encoding...
  5. Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files

Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files: Windows 11 will not play mp3 or wav files consistently. Sometimes it will and sometimes mostly it won't. Occasionally it will work if I reboot. Windows 11 is updated. The error code I'm getting for both of these files is: We can't open x file. It uses unsupported encoding...
  6. Download from wav files to media player

Download from wav files to media player: Does anyone know how to download a wav file to media player and/or whether that is possible? Thanks, Barry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-from-wav-files-to-media-player/6d611326-68d9-4961-9c87-ecbaca97e997
  7. Download from wav files to media player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download from wav files to media player: Does anyone know how to download a wav file to media player and/or whether that is possible? Thanks, Barry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-from-wav-files-to-media-player/6d611326-68d9-4961-9c87-ecbaca97e997
  8. I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files: I can play MP3 music files but not WAV files. I have looked on your website at all the fixes and tried them all. The Codex box you said to check, wasn't even available. Another suggestion [not from you] was to download VLC player. That didn't work either. I have tried...
  9. MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player: I set a DSS player as a default for playing my video and audio files. But it changed to Windows Media Player and I cannot change it back. I want my files to be played by my default app rather than Windows Media Player....
  10. Windows Media Player 12 stopped working suddenly, wont play mp3 or wav

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Media Player 12 stopped working suddenly, wont play mp3 or wav: I have WMP12 Win10 64bit. It was playing WAVs and MP3s fine, but suddenly stopped working. Cant find a WMP12 download anywhere to try reinstall. I also have asio4all on my computer but thats not active I believe. Groove Music plays all fine. Why has WMP12 stopped wortking?...