Windows 10: Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files

Discus and support Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have an issue with Windows Media Player (again). I am using Windows 10 64 bit with all updates installed and I am using the 64 bit version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joerg, May 11, 2019.

1. Joerg Win User

Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files

Hi guys,
    I have an issue with Windows Media Player (again). I am using Windows 10 64 bit with all updates installed and I am using the 64 bit version of Media Player.
    I have a number of AVI files, which I have recorded. According to ffmpeg, the AVI container contains the following streams:
    When I try playing this file, Windows Media Player crashes after around 11 seconds and I can only close it. Some time ago, avis could still be played correctly - and I believe even the files now affected could be played just fine.

I have several AVIs, which I recorded in the same way from the same source. Many of them are affected, but the exact point into the file where it crashes always is a few seconds different: Sometimes it is after 8 seconds, sometimes after 12.

Also Windows Movie Maker is crashing on these files. This is the main issue for me as I want to edit the files with Movie Maker, but I cannot, because it crashes when it reaches a certain point inside the file.

When I try playing any of these files in VLC Player, they play back without problems.

And here comes the thing: I tryed the same file on another PC, also with Windows 10 64 bits - and Media Player is playing the files just nicely!

So is this now an issue with the file? Or is there something wrong with some codeces?

How can I fix this issue?

(I don't think I need anything special for what I am using the PC for. Can I maybe reset something to a default and then it is working again?)

:)

Joerg, May 11, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

Windows Movie Maker not recognizing .avi files

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

We would suggest you to repair the Windows Live Movie Maker and check.

Follow the below steps to repair Windows Live Movie Maker.

• Type appwiz.cpl in the search box and hit Enter.
    • Right click Windows Essentials 2012 and select repair.
    Hope this information helps.

Arul_D, May 11, 2019
  3. Avi videos not playing in movie maker

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Does it show any error?

Have you installed the Codecs?

Though Windows Movie maker support AVI format, sometime we still encounter AVI won't play in Windows . If the AVI files are not corrupt, the main reason may be the AVI video codec problem. If the AVI file was encoded with a non-Microsoft codec or with a
    codec not installed on your Windows, you will fail to play this kind of AVI video.

I would suggest you to follow these methods and check.

Method 1:

Run Hardware Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

a. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

c. Click hardware and sound and run the
    hardware and device troubleshooter.

I also recommend you to install the latest version of Movie Maker and check the issue.

Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 11, 2019
  4. Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files

can't play avi-files in windows media player or in xbox

Hi Mavagle,

Windows Media Player and Xbox support AVI files. With the problem you've encountered, there could be changes on your computer or could be unsupported contents on the AVI files that may have caused your Windows Media Player and Xbox to stop play those files.

For us to verify this, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes performed on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What version of Windows Media Player do you have?
    • Have you set Windows Media Player as the default app for your AVI files?

In the meantime, please check the current version of your Windows Media Player. See this
    link for the steps. Check also if Windows Media Player was set as the default apps to open media
    files. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings, then click System.
    • In the left pane, click Defaults apps, then click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Under the Name column, scroll down to AVI File, then select
      Windows Media Player as the default app for it.
    • Once done, check if you're now able to play AVI files.

You may also see
    File types supported by Windows Media Player
    for more information.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files

1. Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files - Similar Threads - Media Player Movie

2. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  3. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  4. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does: Hello - I have been using Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 10 now upgraded to 11 laptop for the past few years. I have had the appropriate CODECs loaded and able to use MP4, MOV, etc files with both Media Player and Movie Maker. In mid-Nov, there appears to have been an...
  5. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does: Hello - I have been using Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 10 now upgraded to 11 laptop for the past few years. I have had the appropriate CODECs loaded and able to use MP4, MOV, etc files with both Media Player and Movie Maker. In mid-Nov, there appears to have been an...
  6. AVI file can't play using media player in windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AVI file can't play using media player in windows 11.: HI We have a application which create a avi file using MSVC codes, but on window's11 seems MSVC codes not supported. and window's 11 media player can not play it any more. Other than download the supported the codes from third party, is there codes come with windows 11 can...
  7. AVI file can't play using media player in windows 11.

AVI file can't play using media player in windows 11.: HI We have a application which create a avi file using MSVC codes, but on window's11 seems MSVC codes not supported. and window's 11 media player can not play it any more. Other than download the supported the codes from third party, is there codes come with windows 11 can...
  8. How to open a windows movie maker file without windows movie maker software

How to open a windows movie maker file without windows movie maker software: I have some window movie maker files .wmv from around 2000. They are interviews of my Dad who has since deceased. I have a Dell laptop from 2019, a macbook air from 2022 and an Imac from 2011. What do I need to do to be able to view the .wmv files? Thanks for your help!...
  9. how to convert old win movie maker file into something that media player an play

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to convert old win movie maker file into something that media player an play: I have a file I used windows movie maker to make I thought I had converted it but I didn't. Now I'm looking for something that will convert this file into something that windows media player can play. Now that windows movie maker is no longer available. This is a very special...
  10. .AVI in Movie an TV

.AVI in Movie an TV: Hi! Just a question: I can't play any .AVI , no problem with others. Thanks for your answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/avi-in-movie-an-tv/d96c6c86-31c7-4ec2-a1cb-b92ff245f890