Windows 10: Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu

Discus and support Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently discovered that Windows Media Player fails to start up when I try to open files with it. As many of you know, the Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Timdeuces, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Timdeuces Win User

Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu

Hello, I have recently discovered that Windows Media Player fails to start up when I try to open files with it. As many of you know, the Microsoft website offers no download for a new version of WMP. However, I discovered that the 64-bit version of WMP works fine, but the shell association for audio files still directs to the 32-bit version. I don't want to change the default application association for double-clicking the file because I like to have that assigned to Audacity. My question is how to change Windows 10 (possibly in the registry) so that the "Play with Windows Media Player" option in the shell menu directs to the 64-bit version of WMP.

:)

Timdeuces, Jul 20, 2018
  2. Timdeuces Win User

Hello, I have recently discovered that Windows Media Player fails to start up when I try to open files with it. As many of you know, the Microsoft website offers no download for a new version of WMP. However, I discovered that the 64-bit version of WMP works
    fine, but the shell association for audio files still directs to the 32-bit version. I don't want to change the default application association for double-clicking the file because I like to have that assigned to Audacity. My question is how to change Windows
    10 (possibly in the registry) so that the "Play with Windows Media Player" option in the shell menu directs to the 64-bit version of WMP.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Timdeuces, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu

Hello Tim,

We'll need to modify the registry of your Windows 10 system in order to set the
    Windows Media Player (64-bit) as the default program.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

• Click the Start button and type Command
      Prompt
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select
      Run as administrator
    • Type the command below and then hit Enter.
      • unregmp2 /SwapTo:64
    • Close Command Prompt.
    • Click the Start button again, type Regedit and then press
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the path below.
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe
    • Change the value for both (Default) and Path by double-clicking the keys.
    • Change the Value data to %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.
      • This is the default path for Windows Media Player (64-bit).
    • Click OK once done and close the Registry
      Editor
    • Restart your PC.

Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu 67b1f21c-20d2-44e6-aae6-1af8dc36d916?upload=true.png

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Devlin Sco, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Timdeuces Win User

I've entered the command and changed the registry, but the player still gives me the error. It works fine if I start up WMP from the app shortcut, but it bothers me that the shell menu option is basically useless.

Timdeuces, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu - Similar Threads - Media Player Association

2. Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?: Windows Media Player won't load and play associated files.I ran SFC.exe but that did not solve the problem.Program returns "No such interface supported" message....
  3. Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?: Windows Media Player won't load and play associated files.I ran SFC.exe but that did not solve the problem.Program returns "No such interface supported" message....
  4. Open shell menu

Open shell menu: Anyone know if Open Shell Menu will work in win 11 ? 181208
  5. Windows Media Player in context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player in context menu: It would be very nice if we can get Windows Media Player into the right-clickmenu for jpg, bmp, tiff, png and gif files . I have done this already for all kinds of video/music-files . I still did not succeeded for these picture/photo-files . Any help would be very...
  6. Windows Media Player in context menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Media Player in context menu: It would be very nice if we can get Windows Media Player into the right-clickmenu for jpg, bmp, tiff, png and gif files . I have done this already for all kinds of video/music-files . I still did not succeeded for these picture/photo-files . Any help would be very...
  7. Shell Menu New

Shell Menu New: One of Nir Sofer's brilliant and helpful utilities. Controls what's displayed on the context menu New section. Personally, I only want Shortcut and Folder but MS slaps all office programs in there frequently. In the File menu There is a Save Selected Items choice which opens...
  8. Shell Menu New

in Windows 10 Support
    Shell Menu New: One of Nir Sofer's brilliant and helpful utilities. Controls what's displayed on the context menu New section. Personally, I only want Shortcut and Folder but MS slaps all office programs in there frequently. In the File menu There is a Save Selected Items choice which opens...
  9. Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu

Windows Media Player Association in Shell Menu: Hello, I have recently discovered that Windows Media Player fails to start up when I try to open files with it. As many of you know, the Microsoft website offers no download for a new version of WMP. However, I discovered that the 64-bit version of WMP works fine, but the...
  10. Help with Windows Media Player context menu items

Help with Windows Media Player context menu items: After my recent reinstallation of Windows 10, I no longer get the context menu options "Play with Windows Media Player" and "Add to Windows Media Player List" when I right click a folder containing videos which is set as "Videos" in the customization tab. I've had those...