Windows 10: Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music

Discus and support Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It would seem many people are having issues with WMP. WMP has been my favorite player for years BUT! It changes files, duplicates files, removes them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BernieKX, Oct 17, 2018.

1. BernieKX Win User

Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music

It would seem many people are having issues with WMP.

WMP has been my favorite player for years BUT!
    It changes files, duplicates files, removes them from 1 album puts them in another Multiple Multiple Multiple time (you get the idea)

Songs have been taken from one album and placed in another and I don't know how to correct it so I delete it all and start again and then the next time I opened it to play the Album as I was about to click play the same thing happened again. I found the songs added to a different album by the same artist, once again in many multiple copies.

On a different issue there was no album art for a particular album so WMP found a photo on my PC and made that the album cover, what the hell is going on with WMP?

I have been using Groove music and it can't seem to fix the file mix ups either I have thousands of music files as I copy my CD music to a HDD for playing and safe keeping.

I'm over it! I'm thinking of going Apple with my next computer.

How do I fix this?

:)

BernieKX, Oct 17, 2018

2. Windows music media files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Are you trying to play the music's directly from the CD?
    • Are you using Windows Media Player to paly the music?
    • Did you try a different player?
    • Did you try copying the songs to a particular folder and checked if the issue persists?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Windows Media Player Settings.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 18, 2018
  3. music player

There is another way that works as well and you don't have to dig into the settings. It gives you control of which music player plays a given codec. Open your music folder On a individual music file right click it at the bottom on the dialog box that opens click properties, in the dialog box that opens look for the box that says Change click this box. It will bring up the choices you have for playing this file. click the player you wish to use for this music file, you want to use, click on the icon for Windows Media player and that makes every music file on your Laptop that uses this file codec WMP as it's default player. When your make your choice at the bottom of the :"change Box" click Apply, then OK, done. This is a handy way of doing this because as good as Window Media Player is is does not play all music such as MKV, OGG, APE files natively. I would suggest you load the music player Foobar2000 it will play all music files, it does not do videos. it is a free music player that does not take up much space on your system.

foobar2000

transmaster, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music

New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music

1. Windows Media Player changing files and mixing up music - Similar Threads - Media Player changing

2. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  3. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  4. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Media Player Sample music.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Sample music.: Looking back to around 2000 - 2003 we got a new Dell Computer that I believe had windows XP on it and for some reason all the threads I see about the free music that came with Windows does not mention the three songs that I remember being on my computer and I finally found...
  6. Windows Media Player Sample music.

Windows Media Player Sample music.: Looking back to around 2000 - 2003 we got a new Dell Computer that I believe had windows XP on it and for some reason all the threads I see about the free music that came with Windows does not mention the three songs that I remember being on my computer and I finally found...
  7. Windows Media Player - Music Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player - Music Access: I would like to make a folder for music I play routinely in Windows Music Player, that I can use to make playlists from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-music-access/adf695fe-8208-4375-a447-a22fdfa6ff19
  8. Windows Media Player - Music Access

Windows Media Player - Music Access: I would like to make a folder for music I play routinely in Windows Music Player, that I can use to make playlists from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-music-access/adf695fe-8208-4375-a447-a22fdfa6ff19
  9. media player 'groove music'

media player 'groove music': hello. I've downloaded 5 audio tracks (MP3). I can turn on the loop for each track but how do I get it to play each track one after the other and then loop back to track one? 36644
  10. Problems with Music Files in W10, using Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Music Files in W10, using Windows Media Player: For some (not all) of my music files that I use in Windows Media player, I'm getting this message: "The license cannot be downloaded because your Web browser is not supported. To download a license, you must install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later. To install...