Windows 10: WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting

Discus and support WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm having an issue where if I close WMP, the actual process continues running in the background. For example, if I'm playing my music... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KillerSix50, Apr 11, 2021.

1. WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where if I close WMP, the actual process continues running in the background.

For example, if I'm playing my music library and exit WMP via the window close X button, or via File menu -> Exit, the process still runs in the background. So what happens is, if later I watch a YouTube video or use any sort of media, whenever I use the play / pause button on my keyboard, whatever I was listening to on WMP continues playing even though I closed the program.

Any fixes or workarounds for this besides opening task manager and killing the WMP process? This only recently started happening, so I assume this may be caused by a recent update?

Currently I'm running the most recent version of Windows 10.

Thanks!

:)

KillerSix50, Apr 11, 2021

2. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Apr 11, 2021
  3. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Kem Mon Win User

WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting

Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting

1. WIndows Media Player continues running in the background after exiting - Similar Threads - Media Player continues

2. Computer continuously running in the background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer continuously running in the background: I am using Windows 10 Microsoft Edge and I computer is continuously running which slows everything up and also freezes my icons - how can I stop please....
  3. Computer continuously running in the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer continuously running in the background: I am using Windows 10 Microsoft Edge and I computer is continuously running which slows everything up and also freezes my icons - how can I stop please....
  4. Computer continuously running in the background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Defender continues to run in background after installing third party security software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender continues to run in background after installing third party security software: I have a new PC running Windows 11 Pro. After completing all Windows updates, I installed Norton 360, but then noticed that a lot of RAM was being used. I opened task manager and saw that Antimalware Service Executable was still running in the background.It was my...
  6. Windows Media Player runs in the background after exiting.

Windows Media Player runs in the background after exiting.: I'm having an odd issue with WMP 12 where when I click the exit button on the window or use File -> Exit, the process stays running in the background.So what happens is, if I close WMP and have a YouTube video playing, if I use the play/pause key on my keyboard to pause the...
  7. Windows exits and then gets back continuously

Windows exits and then gets back continuously: This is the 2nd time that this appended to me. The 1st time I reinstalled windows... but it started again... When I'm in a window it exitsbut keps showing the window, if I'm writing something it stops typing and right after that gets back to it and this loops without...
  8. Internet explorer is running in background continuously in window 10

Internet explorer is running in background continuously in window 10: 14 jan 2020 After the time was over, I install window 10 in my computer, I only use edge and chrome for my favourite browsers And I never used internet Explorer since 3 years [ATTACH][ATTACH] But today why is it running in the background and and consuming so much resources...
  9. Media Player Running Consecutive Videos

Media Player Running Consecutive Videos: Probably missing something easy and am preoccupied to look into it so throw a quick answer my way lol. But lets say I run multiple instances of a show at one time through Windows media player, it keeps looping the same first launched episode instead of moving down the list. I...
  10. Windows Media Player stopped running

Windows Media Player stopped running: Hi folks, I have been using WMP since Windows 7 and although it has some faults I am used to it and it does what I need it to do. A week (maybe more?) ago it just stopped working ... completely *Sad When I open the program I get the Welcome to Windows Media Player...