Windows 10: Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch

Discus and support Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I last used Media Player about 2 weeks ago, and it was working fine. Since then there have been several Windows Updates that have been installed, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WarpFactorFive, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch

I last used Media Player about 2 weeks ago, and it was working fine. Since then there have been several Windows Updates that have been installed, and several software packages.

Now, when I launch WMP, it comes up for about 5 seconds, then crashes. In the event log I get two Application Error events. The first one says

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Media Player because of this error.

The second error states:

Faulting application name: wmplayer.exe, version: 12.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x4c24b311

Faulting module name: gdi32full.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1049, time stamp: 0x220f780f

Exception code: 0xc0000006

Fault offset: 0x000000000003ed10

Faulting process id: 0xa14

Faulting application start time: 0x01d68563a337458a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll

Report Id: 9d6800c7-445c-4881-a4ed-f2659da9060c

Googling the DLL name and error, found some other posts by people having issues with printer drivers. I'm guessing that gdi32full is some kind of network discovery or explorer related DLL.

I have tried the following, without any success:

1. Installed "Cumulative Update" 2020-08, which was one suggestion. Still crashing

2. Ran chkdsk on c:, found no errors.

3. Ran sfc, found no errors

4. Ran DISM, found no errors

5. Uninstalled WMP, then re-installed it. Still crashing.

6. Verified gdi32full.dll exists in the specified location C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll

7. Uninstalled software that was installed in the last week or two. Still crashing

Any suggestions?

:)

WarpFactorFive, Sep 7, 2020

2. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch

THRiLL KiLL, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch

1. Windows Media Player crashes seconds after launch - Similar Threads - Media Player crashes

2. windows media player failed to launch in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows media player failed to launch in windows 11: Does anyone experiencing same issue for those users already migrated from win10 to win11, when you open media player it goes auto close. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-failed-to-launch-in-windows/2e0ce47d-3daa-464b-94a2-b46a90db3564
  3. windows media player failed to launch in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows media player failed to launch in windows 11: Does anyone experiencing same issue for those users already migrated from win10 to win11, when you open media player it goes auto close. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-failed-to-launch-in-windows/2e0ce47d-3daa-464b-94a2-b46a90db3564
  4. Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. When I play my music in Windows Media Player, it starts fine, but before long, usually a half hour to hour, it stops playing and the display is glitchy. I have to close out and restart it in order to play more music. At first, I...
  5. Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing

Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. When I play my music in Windows Media Player, it starts fine, but before long, usually a half hour to hour, it stops playing and the display is glitchy. I have to close out and restart it in order to play more music. At first, I...
  6. Windows Media Player Crashed After The Latest Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Player Crashed After The Latest Update: After an update to Windows 10 on my desktop, Windows media player opens for 4 or 5 seconds & closes. Prior to the update, the media player performed as it should. I tried to do a system restore to a date prior to the update & got an error message that the system restore...
  7. Windows Media Player crashes when closed

Windows Media Player crashes when closed: Hello, Since the half of august I noticed there are APPCRASH events in the Reliability History every time I close Windows Media Player. I don't notice the crash of the program itself, but I can see the cursor showing a loading icon when closing the program. It even happens...
  8. Windows Media Player Crash Logs Help

Windows Media Player Crash Logs Help: Would anyone be so kind as to take a look at these logs for me. For some reason i cannot open them in windbg. I'm trying to find out if its a windows issue, or something thats installed that's conflicting with WMP somehow Windows media player crashes pretty much every time...
  9. Make Windows Media Player open on second monitor when launched.

Make Windows Media Player open on second monitor when launched.: Windows media Player always opens on my main monitor no matter what I do. Every other program and App will remember what screen it was last opened on except WMP. I can launch it, move it to the monitor I want it on, maximize it, close it, and it just launches back on the...
  10. Second odd Vlc Media Player Question?

Second odd Vlc Media Player Question?: First of all I know there's a way to change program icons such as firefox all you do is right click shortcut change icon. Simple. I would guess its the same way for vlc media player. But here's the odd question part. Is it possible to have 1 program with 2 different...