Windows 10: Windows Media Player crashes when closed

Discus and support Windows Media Player crashes when closed in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Since the half of august I noticed there are APPCRASH events in the Reliability History every time I close Windows Media Player. I don't notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnnyGui, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Windows Media Player crashes when closed

Hello,

Since the half of august I noticed there are APPCRASH events in the Reliability History every time I close Windows Media Player. I don't notice the crash of the program itself, but I can see the cursor showing a loading icon when closing the program. It even happens if WMP doesn't contain a music library.

Here's the log (Dutch):
    Naam van probleemgebeurtenis: APPCRASH
    Naam van de toepassing: wmplayer.exe
    Versie van toepassing: 12.0.17134.1
    Tijdstempel van toepassing: 854a1b2d
    Naam van foutmodule: combase.dll
    Versie van foutmodule: 10.0.17134.112
    Tijdstempel van foutmodule: cdc43ef4
    Uitzonderingscode: c0000005
    Uitzonderingsmarge: 000f19ef
    Versie van besturingssysteem: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
    Landinstelling-id: 1043
    Aanvullende informatie 1: f07b
    Aanvullende informatie 2: f07ba5a3b1acaf0f571ec0abb76b0d76
    Aanvullende informatie 3: 2fc0
    Aanvullende informatie 4: 2fc08081dc2041665a1ee531e6562af0
    Extra informatie over het probleem
    Bucket-id: 50f73f2ab19318a86442962490a4081b (1459894313011120155)
    I have tried the following but none of them fixed the issue:
    - Run the Troubleshooter of Windows Media Player Settings and Windows Media Player library
    - Delete the Media Player cache folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft- Delete cache and history files in the WMP settings- Run sfc /scannow and DISM commands; they didn't show any integrity violations or corruption
    - Disabling and enabling WMP (a reboot in between) in the Windows Features settings
    - Clean installed Windows 10 Pro 64x

Since the crash happens at closing WMP, it might have something to do with cleaning temp or cache files but I'm not sure.
    I have attached a crashdump file.

What might possibly be the cause here?

:)

JohnnyGui, Sep 7, 2018

2. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Sep 7, 2018
  3. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Windows Media Player crashes when closed

THRiLL KiLL, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player crashes when closed

1. Windows Media Player crashes when closed - Similar Threads - Media Player crashes

2. Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. When I play my music in Windows Media Player, it starts fine, but before long, usually a half hour to hour, it stops playing and the display is glitchy. I have to close out and restart it in order to play more music. At first, I...
  3. Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player Keeps Crashing: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. When I play my music in Windows Media Player, it starts fine, but before long, usually a half hour to hour, it stops playing and the display is glitchy. I have to close out and restart it in order to play more music. At first, I...
  4. Windows Media Player keeps crashing when I insert a CD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player keeps crashing when I insert a CD.: I have tried to troubleshoot and got nowhere using the steps I found in this forum, only to have Windows tell me there are no troubleshooters recommended at this time. My issue started after I recently put a few CD's into my computer, ripping them, when my ISP was down. They...
  5. Windows Media Player keeps freezing/crashing when playing music

Windows Media Player keeps freezing/crashing when playing music: I keep having Windows Media Player freeze and have tried the built in troubleshooters, reinstalling it, and registering the .dll files. After the latter one it deleted half of my playlists and it worked until I rebuilt those playlists, which suggests that maybe it's playlist...
  6. Windows Media Player closing while copying a CD

Windows Media Player closing while copying a CD: After a windows update, my Windows Media Player is closing while copying a CD. I've searched about this problem, but i couldn't fix it. I didnt find any updated solution. I've tried many solution that i found, but nothing. Or if somebody knows some program that can copy a...
  7. windows media player 12 closes when I try to rip a CD

windows media player 12 closes when I try to rip a CD: I was able to rip cd's in the past, but now the program closes when I click to rip, all updates have been checked, is the program just no good anymore?...
  8. windows media player closing suddenly

windows media player closing suddenly: hi, i am using a laptop with windows 10 os. i have a problem with windows media player. whenever i try to play a song in windows media player it plays for a very few second and closes without any error message. same thing happen when i tried to simply open the media player...
  9. Windows media player crashes on music or video.

Windows media player crashes on music or video.: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: wmplayer.exe Application Version: 12.0.17134.1 Application Timestamp: 854a1b2d Fault Module Name:...
  10. Windows Media Player Crash Logs Help

Windows Media Player Crash Logs Help: Would anyone be so kind as to take a look at these logs for me. For some reason i cannot open them in windbg. I'm trying to find out if its a windows issue, or something thats installed that's conflicting with WMP somehow Windows media player crashes pretty much every time...