Windows 10: Windows Media Player displaying false metadata

Discus and support Windows Media Player displaying false metadata in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Our company authors CDs for clients. Even though Windows Media Player stopped reading CD metadata a long time ago, it used to just say, Unidentified... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by PZ-CC, Aug 6, 2020.

1. PZ-CC Win User

Windows Media Player displaying false metadata

Our company authors CDs for clients. Even though Windows Media Player stopped reading CD metadata a long time ago, it used to just say, Unidentified Album, Unidentified Author, etc.

Now I pop in one of the CDs and it downloads metadata from the web and shows other people's CD information including changing the Title, Author and Album. On one CD, WMP downloaded Yoga CD info, another downloaded Communist Spirituality info. This is not cool. It is one thing to say it is Unidentified, but to put other people's CD information on our original work is a severe problem.

How is this problem solved??

:)

PZ-CC, Aug 6, 2020

2. HELP! Windows Media Player Problem

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/243621

that covers up to version 10... let me see if its diffrent for the newer versions

EDit:

here is how to clear the frequent list.
    http://www.blogsdna.com/4086/how-to...edia-player-12-frequent-list-in-windows-7.htm

and here is how to clear the history
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/essenti...ar-the-windows-media-player-12-history_g.html

and from the last link is the same error where you can just disable it too =)

THRiLL KiLL, Aug 6, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    Internet metadata for Windows Media player

Virtually everyone who replies to question in Microsoft Community, especially in the Windows 7 sections, is not employed by Microsoft. That includes people with "Volunteer Moderator" or "Microsoft MVP" next to their names.

Sorry about that. For reasons known only to themselves, a lot of people randomly post copies of previous posts. It is annoying, but there's not much that can be done about it other then deleting the duplicate post later (which I've done in this case).

As for your original question, yes, Microsoft turned off the Windows Media Player metadata server for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4488539/changes-metadata-services-windows-media-center-media-player
    (nobody really believes that this actually was related to "customer feedback and usage data").

From what I can tell, most people who were concerned about metadata and wanted to continue using Windows 7 switched to a different media player.

VLC Media Player seems to be among the most popular (VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN). I can't give you step by step directions, but if you enable "Allow metadata network
    access" in VLC Tools>Preferences>Interface, it's supposed to pick up the track data from some Internet database. For more specific information, ask in the VLC forum:
    The VideoLAN Forums - Forum Home

I've also seen a few references to Music Bee, but I know nothing about it (MusicBee - The Ultimate Music Manager and Player).

LemP, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Windows Media Player displaying false metadata

Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows Media Player displaying false metadata

1. Windows Media Player displaying false metadata - Similar Threads - Media Player displaying

2. Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons: Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons, but Windows Legacy Media Player does.I have re-indexed the library and also tried deleting all files in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media PlayerNeither has made any difference.I only get icons on the...
  3. Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons: Windows 11 Media Player not displaying icons, but Windows Legacy Media Player does.I have re-indexed the library and also tried deleting all files in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media PlayerNeither has made any difference.I only get icons on the...
  4. media player not displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media player not displaying: I cannot see a media player for windows11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-not-displaying/8b2a5bfd-1e2e-45e1-ab8a-e198f20338f8
  5. media player not displaying

media player not displaying: I cannot see a media player for windows11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-not-displaying/8b2a5bfd-1e2e-45e1-ab8a-e198f20338f8
  6. Media Player DLNA show metadata

Media Player DLNA show metadata: Dear Microsoft, Can you help me, Media Player show metadata on DLNA in my network. Can i change show the file name or other title. I can rename the file on my PC (DLNA server) in Media Player application but the other device not change the name. Thank you...
  7. Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...

Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...: If I rate .mp3 songs in WMP, the rating is reflected back in the file itself, but when I rate .m4a or .flac files, the rating is only there in WMP but in the original file. This happens not for rating, but any other tags/metadata like Album, Album artist, Genre etc. What...
  8. Metadata service changes Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 News
    Metadata service changes Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player: Going forward, you may be unable to view information (metadata) such as the title, genre, and artist for songs, and the director, actors, cover art, and TV guide for movies in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. After looking at customer feedback and usage data,...
  9. Changes to Windows Media Center and Player Metadata service

in Windows 10 News
    Changes to Windows Media Center and Player Metadata service: Microsoft revealed plans on Friday to turn off the metadata service for certain media product and operating system combinations. The company maintains two media products right now that ship with various versions of the Windows operating system; Windows Media Center, only...
  10. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER failing to provide MetaData - DISGRACEFUL

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER failing to provide MetaData - DISGRACEFUL: Just to highlight what a disgrace it is that Microsoft has not fixed this problem yet - it appears Microsoft has abandoned maintaining the basic functionality - Seriously ??? I wanted to RIP a few cd's to my laptop - but quickly discovered that even then most basic...