Windows 10: Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

Discus and support Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ??? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello All, I have always had issues with subtitles in WMP, it is simply not user friendly at all. Now I have several *.mkv files that have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BartOppeel, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

Hello All,

I have always had issues with subtitles in WMP, it is simply not user friendly at all.

Now I have several *.mkv files that have subtitles built in, but even after selecting 'On if available' WMP is not showing any subs.

It works in ALL other video players, except for the one from Windows.

Could someone please explain how to get these subs working in WMP ???

Preferably without using any 3rd-party tools or programs, Windows should have this option by default.

If there is no option for this, then I really don't understand why it is even included in Windows at all, as you have to download/use another video player to actually watch videos properly.

:)

BartOppeel, Nov 30, 2018
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

Unable to add subtitle files in Windows Media Player.

Hi,

Subtitles in media files can either be embedded or posted as a separate file. To better understand your concern about sharing media files in your homegroup, we'd like to know the following:

• If the subtitles are embedded on the video.
    • If the video files are in a folder when you've shared it.
    • If you're using the Windows Media Player to launch the media files.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Nov 30, 2018
  3. shcarch Win User
    Unable to add subtitle files in Windows Media Player.

shcarch, Nov 30, 2018
  4. JasonD33 Win User

Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

Windows Media Player Does not show subtitles

I know I can download codecs for this (which I have) or just use VLC, but how do you get Windows Media Player to show the subtitles of mkv files? Doing a right click and turning on Subtitles does nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

If you want to test this, just download any anime episode in mkv.

JasonD33, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

1. Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ??? - Similar Threads - Media Player Embedded

2. Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work: I have an mp4 with a subtitle stream built in not burned in, which plays perfectly in every media player except windows media player.One simply goes to the subtitles menu, wherever that is, and selects the subtitle track to include.Windows media player "old" with the blue...
  3. Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work: I have an mp4 with a subtitle stream built in not burned in, which plays perfectly in every media player except windows media player.One simply goes to the subtitles menu, wherever that is, and selects the subtitle track to include.Windows media player "old" with the blue...
  4. Any way to edit embedded subtitles?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to edit embedded subtitles?: Not sure if this is the right sub for this. Redirect me to a sub for this type of stuff if you know better. Basically need to edit embedded subtitles in a video file. For a show I'm watching. Or if I can extract them and edit, that would work too submitted by...
  5. Add into English subtitle to an MKV movie

Add into English subtitle to an MKV movie: Hi i want to add an English subtitle to an MKV movie. Tried MKV toolnix & Handbrake.....from my research it says that they do not re encode, so only takes. Avery short time, but it took an hour or more. am I doing something wrong, or is there an easier way without ever...
  6. Alternative to windows media player when watching a movie with a subtitle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Alternative to windows media player when watching a movie with a subtitle: Recommend using Microsoft photos, here you can the add the subtitle can simply clicking the substile icon below the right hand corner. Hope this helps for everyone having difficulties playing a movie with subtitle....
  7. Subtitles in Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Subtitles in Windows Media Player: Hello. I am having a hard time viewing subtitles in Windows Media Player on my Windows 10. I have turned the "on if available" in Lyrics, Captions & Subtitles from the options menu, but it is still not loading. I dragged and dropped the subtitle file in the media player, but...
  8. Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players: New kind of threat have been found by Check Point researchers. Media players (standalone and on computers), including popular ones like VLC, KODI and smart TVs, can be hacked by malicious subtitles. Developers are already updating their applications with patches, but to...
  9. Windows Media Player Does not show subtitles

Windows Media Player Does not show subtitles: I know I can download codecs for this (which I have) or just use VLC, but how do you get Windows Media Player to show the subtitles of mkv files? Doing a right click and turning on Subtitles does nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this? If you want to test this, just...
  10. MKV playback on embedded Player broken after 1511

MKV playback on embedded Player broken after 1511: anyone find that they can no longer play MKV format after the update? is there a fix, other than uninstalling it and using a real player? 32624