Windows 10: Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing

Discus and support Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; why does my WMPlayer not want to play my CD's anymore? keep getting error messages with red stars by the song and I have to delete the song.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidPage6, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing

why does my WMPlayer not want to play my CD's anymore? keep getting error messages with red stars by the song and I have to delete the song.

:)

DavidPage6, Feb 28, 2020

2. MEDIA PLAYER- unable to play or rip cd's

Hi Christine,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with the issue.

• Did you check if you are able to play using other CD'S?
    • What is the exact error message or code you receive when you try to play the cd or try to Rip?

For now let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to check if the rip settings are set correctly as mentioned in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-settings-for-ripping-music

Method 2:

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Media player and check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps to uninstall and reinstall Windows Media player:

• Press Window key + F, select “Settings’ tab below the search box.
    • Type “Turn Windows features ON or OFF” and click on the tile with the same name.
    • Now, expand the “Media features” and uncheck the box against “Windows Media player”.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Now follow the same steps and check the box against “Windows Media player” and
      restart the computer to reinstall.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 28, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows Media Player won't play CDs

Hello DominicGerald,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following queries:

1. Are you receiving any error code or error message when you attempt to play the music?
    2. Is your music CD being detected by the system and are you able to access it through the File Explorer (Windows + E key)?

In Windows Media Player, you can play audio CDs, data CDs, and data DVDs that contain music or video files (also known as media CDs). If you have a DVD drive and a compatible DVD decoder installed on your computer, you can use Windows Media Player
    to play a DVD-Video disc. If your unable to play anything on WMP, kindly check with the steps listed below and see if it works:

Method 1: Update DVD/CD ROM driver from Device Manager.

Sometimes, the issue persists if the drivers aren’t updated. So, I would suggest you to update the DVD/Cd driver manually. To do that, you may refer the article on

Update drivers in Windows 10.

Once after updating the drivers, you may check if you are able to play songs. If not, you may try out the following method.

Method 2: Adjust Burn Settings.

As you say that it’s getting stuck while burning a CD, you might want to check with the burn speed. To do that,

• Open Windows Media Player from the Start menu.
    • Click on Organize and select
      Options
      from the list.
    • Select the Burn tab in the Options window and select the drop-down menu beside
      Burn speed and select Slow.
    • Click on Apply and OK
      to exit the settings screen.
    • Try burning a new CD and check if it plays.

Method 3: Download and install add-ons for Windows Media Player.

I would suggest you to get the add-ons for your player and check if you are able to play songs. To do the same, you may want to refer to an article on
    Downloads for Windows.

Kindly get back to us with the results. We will be glad to assist you further if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 28, 2020
  4. JB Knox Win User

Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing

Music CD's won't play on Media Player 12

Media Player 12 does not recognize the codec for my cd's when I load they are loaded and the play list generated.

This is the error message I received:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I checked the list of codecs so this shouldn't be an issue.

JB Knox, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing

1. Windows Media Player error messages with CD playing - Similar Threads - Media Player error

2. windows media player error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows media player error message: windows media player can not burn files. if the burner is busy, wait for the current task to finish. If necessary, verify that the latest burner is connected properly an that you have installed the latest device driver.this is the error messag ei keep getting, everything is...
  3. windows media player error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows media player error message: windows media player can not burn files. if the burner is busy, wait for the current task to finish. If necessary, verify that the latest burner is connected properly an that you have installed the latest device driver.this is the error messag ei keep getting, everything is...
  4. Windows Media Player is not playing music from CD

Windows Media Player is not playing music from CD: I have a new PC and I have connected a Pioneer BDR-XD07U drive via USB with a CD audio disc in the drive but when I try to play any audio track from the drive Windows Media Player will launch but not play any of the tracks. The drive shows in Media Player so the app at least...
  5. Windows Media Player-CD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Media Player-CD: On Windows Media Player, before I Updated Windows, songs from my CD that I burned into Media Player Played. Now some play some don't. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-cd/4de6544e-9155-4da7-b7c3-a26aa9179b39
  6. Receiving message Cyberlink Media player playing or on

Receiving message Cyberlink Media player playing or on: I keep getting a message that my cyberlink media player is playing or is on and I cannot get it to turn of. I do not have a control button for it that I can find, how do I get it to turn off? ***Modified title from: cyberlink media player***...
  7. Windows Media Player will not play Music CD

Windows Media Player will not play Music CD: I am running Windows 10 v.1903 and Windows Media Player v12. All updates were done. When I inserted a music CD into my CD/DVD drive, the Windows Media Player will start, and, after loading the music CD, will start Windows Installer to try to install something (showing just...
  8. Error message on Windows Media Player when trying to burn a music cd.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error message on Windows Media Player when trying to burn a music cd.: I have Windows 10 and when I try to burn a music cd I get an error message that says some files couldn't be burned to disk. The songs that would not burn have a red X beside them. The cd never starts to burn....
  9. Windows Media player error message

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media player error message: I am having problems Ripping CDs on Windows Media player and a message keeps coming up saying "Windows cannot find file" I have tried everything but it wont let me do it … can anyone help......
  10. Windows Media Player Skin Error Message

Windows Media Player Skin Error Message: Error message when I try to open a WMZ file: Windows Media Player encountered a problem with the skin file. The skin file might not be valid. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-skin-error-message/974acc00-f506-4f55-9177-78022584a05b