Windows 10: Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list

Discus and support Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can be easily found. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eugggeuggg, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list

I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can be easily found. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional Features, install it if missing, etc. - I did all that, and now WMP runs and plays media files. However, there is no way to set it as a Default App to play specific file types. Go to "Default apps":

• > "Music Player" > "Choose Default" - WMP is not there.
    • > "Choose default apps by file type" > ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - WMP is not there.
    • > "Set Defaults by app" > Windows Media Player is here! > select "Manage" > find ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - the only choice is "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store".

What is going on, why is Windows Media Player not in the list? Why when I type "Windows Media Player" in Windows Search it does not come up as an app and it takes me to search it on the web search?

:)

eugggeuggg, Oct 30, 2019

2. HELP! Windows Media Player Problem

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/243621

that covers up to version 10... let me see if its diffrent for the newer versions

EDit:

here is how to clear the frequent list.
    http://www.blogsdna.com/4086/how-to...edia-player-12-frequent-list-in-windows-7.htm

and here is how to clear the history
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/essenti...ar-the-windows-media-player-12-history_g.html

and from the last link is the same error where you can just disable it too =)

THRiLL KiLL, Oct 30, 2019
  3. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list

1. Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list - Similar Threads - Media Player Default

2. default app not listed for a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default app not listed for a file: how do I change the default app for file if the app is not listed but has been installed on the PC. the files are for embroidery software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-not-listed-for-a-file/646fc608-d66f-4545-bf2d-ccbc2a16545b
  3. Printing Music List from Windows Media Player

Printing Music List from Windows Media Player: I have over 2000 cd's that I have burned to my computer. I just assumed that after I was done I would be able to print out a listing by Artist, Album, Song or Genre. I NEED an inventory and certainly don't want to be forced to manually enter them again. Is there a way to...
  4. How to make Windows Media Player Default

How to make Windows Media Player Default: trying to create a power shell script for .wav to open with Windows Media Player. currebntly i have it set to open with VLC. Any Idea? 147908
  5. Windows Media Player, creating burn list

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Media Player, creating burn list: Why can't I drag my files from my CD into the burn list? When I try to drag a file I get the 'No entry' sign. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-creating-burn-list/6b1cc4fe-6c4e-43c0-ad3e-6d0e26fda6f1"
  6. media player as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    media player as default: ho do u make win media player as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/media-player-as-default/4d05f29a-6737-47d2-ae8e-cffed1cb2955
  7. Change default app for CDs from Windows Media Player to iTunes?

Change default app for CDs from Windows Media Player to iTunes?: In previous versions of Windows, it was easy to associate a file type with a different program from its default, but in Windows 10 I don't seem to be able to figure out how to get my CDs to open automatically in iTunes when I insert them in the drive. They keep opening in...
  8. Default apps in settings is not on the list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  9. No option to set default for media players

No option to set default for media players: Just recently (I think there was an update) there stopped being an option to set a media file type (AVI, WAV, etc)) to open with a certain media player. If I right clicked on a video and selected "open with" I would get a list of my players and an option to always use the...
  10. Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens

Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens: Hi I have set the default media player for both music and video to VLC and when I double click a single file it opens in VLC. However if I select a number of music files and hit enter or click play at the top of windows explorer it opens windows media player. Even if I...