Windows 10: Windows Media Player not able to play wmv via URL on some systems

Discus and support Windows Media Player not able to play wmv via URL on some systems in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a large fleet of windows 10 systems and a subset of them are not able to play wmv files in windows media player but the same URL works fine on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LS9385472, Dec 17, 2018.

1. LS9385472 Win User

Windows Media Player not able to play wmv via URL on some systems

I have a large fleet of windows 10 systems and a subset of them are not able to play wmv files in windows media player but the same URL works fine on the majority of systems. The kicker is that if I navigate to the network share where this wmv file lives, I can launch it without issue on the same systems where URL doesn't work. I compared all the windows media player settings against working and non-working systems and can't find any difference.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

:)

LS9385472, Dec 17, 2018

2. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 .wmv will not play

I am not able to play any local video format I have with media player 12. The exact error message is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I
    get this for every wmv, mp4, mov, and many others. Another crazy thing I have noticed is that I can create a PowerPoint with the videos inserted and they will not play on my PC at all, but if I open that presentation on another machine it works great. It seems
    like a crazy windows media player issue. What else could I try to do?

JeremiahMcClain, Dec 17, 2018
  4. GeorgeCB Win User

Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Hi

Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of the tried and failed suggestions:

• Turning on/off WMP through Control Panel>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Feature On or Off.

• Repeating the above then restarting my laptop twice, after which running sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.

• Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.

• Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong.

I also came across this "FIX: Updade to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media 10" at Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help.

However after downloaded the 'fix' (Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now.) it doesn't install - instead I get the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I appreciate that there are third party free WMV players available, but I liked WMP and cannot understand why it won't work on Windows 10. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

GeorgeCB, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player not able to play wmv via URL on some systems - Similar Threads - Media Player able

2. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player: I have Windows 10 on laptop and Sony MP3 player old. Music on there will not play now via Windows Media Player. It shows albums / tracks etc but will not play. I need to edit MP3 music to bring up to date....
  3. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player: I have Windows 10 on laptop and Sony MP3 player old. Music on there will not play now via Windows Media Player. It shows albums / tracks etc but will not play. I need to edit MP3 music to bring up to date....
  4. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Media Player won't play .wmv clips correctly

Media Player won't play .wmv clips correctly: I have windows media player (MP) on a win10-2004 desktop that won't play .wmv clips correctly. VLC plays them fine, and the clips can be imported to a video editor and it plays them fine as well. So the problem appears to be with mp. By won't play correctly, I mean that when...
  6. Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file: Recently updated win10 to -2004, screenshot: [ATTACH] and I am now finding that the media player MP in this version will not play wmv files. The result of trying to pay a captured wmv file in MP was a black screen with audio. So, I resorted to my test video clip -...
  7. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  8. Windows media playing opening URL

in Browsers and Email
    Windows media playing opening URL: When I click on a video on a web page WMP opens and the video plays in it. How do I STOP WMP from doing this. I just want to watch the video in its own web page player. 61998
  9. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade: After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play a video in WMP, I get an error message saying that WMP is unable to play the file. I am using the latest Shark007 codecs...
  10. Windows media player will not play some DVDs?

Windows media player will not play some DVDs?: Windows media player will not play some DVDs. It does nothing when I push the play button. How can I fix this? Thank you for your help. 54259

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .wmv files jerky windows media player