Windows 10: Windows Media Player picks and chooses which songs to record

Discus and support Windows Media Player picks and chooses which songs to record in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Having a headache with a new computer. Tried to record some songs on a CD and it took 10 of the 17 I had in the burn list. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mitchigan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Mitchigan Win User

Windows Media Player picks and chooses which songs to record

Hello everyone,

Having a headache with a new computer. Tried to record some songs on a CD and it took 10 of the 17 I had in the burn list. The remaining ones have a small red 'i' icon next to them that tells me:

The file is already in use. Close other programs that might be using the file, or stop playing the file, and then try again.

As I stated, this computer is new. I cannot imagine what program would be using certain songs and not others since I have never opened any other program to access these songs.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Emmet

:)

Mitchigan, Oct 30, 2018

2. Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Oct 31, 2018
  3. THRiLL KiLL, Oct 31, 2018
  4. HGN2001 Win User

Windows Media Player Song Title Alpha Order Bug possible workaround

I use Windows Media Player to maintain my library of music on the computer. Usually, when I open an Artist, all of the songs are listed within the album from which it comes. So first is Album A with all of its songs, then Album B etc.

Often, I'll want to list all of those same songs within an Artist by Song title. This will sort all of the titles that start with "A" first, "B" second, etc. and show a very small jpeg of the album cover on the left. This view allows for quick audio comparisons of the same song from different sources. This is where you can hear one iteration of a song being louder or better quality or worse mastering than another - a helpful use of this software.

OK, so what's the bug? Occasionally and unpredictably, the alpha-by-song list will separate out widely, listing the first song with a large jpeg of the cover art. Then a second song will appear with its large jpeg cover art, all of this using up a lot of screen real estate. It can still be used, but it's ugly to look at. It has been maddening that some artists are separated out like this, while most list nice and tight, line by line.

Today, I might have uncovered the reason that it happens. I think it has to do with apostrophes in the last title in the alphabetical list. If you can somehow change the title of that song so that it's not last, your list will show tight lines, the way its supposed to be.

I realize that this is a very specialized use of Windows Media Player, but maybe it will help out someone out there.

HGN2001, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player picks and chooses which songs to record - Similar Threads - Media Player picks

2. Windows Media Player bug with removed songs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player bug with removed songs.: Whenever a file is removed manually from a playlist on the Windows Media Player, at the bottom of the playlist, new "files" will appear at the bottom of the playlist, often times amalgamations of other songs in the playlist, or completely blank.This is incredibly...
  3. Windows Media Player songs and playlists gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player songs and playlists gone?: I added songs from my music folder onto the New Media Player. It worked and I even made playlists. After I was done listening to it I shut it down and left. The next day I open Media Player and everything is gone. There’s nothing in the Music library, my playlists are wiped....
  4. Windows Media Player songs and playlists gone?

Windows Media Player songs and playlists gone?: I added songs from my music folder onto the New Media Player. It worked and I even made playlists. After I was done listening to it I shut it down and left. The next day I open Media Player and everything is gone. There’s nothing in the Music library, my playlists are wiped....
  5. Windows Media Player songs and playlists gone?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Media player won't play songs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player won't play songs: I can't get my playlist to play in media player legacy or the new media player. Do I need to transfer the files? One song played, now I get the message below;"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the...
  7. Media player won't play songs

Media player won't play songs: I can't get my playlist to play in media player legacy or the new media player. Do I need to transfer the files? One song played, now I get the message below;"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the...
  8. How to import songs to Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to import songs to Windows Media Player: How do I do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-import-songs-to-windows-media-player/19c0e946-e595-4679-9069-df6e4eacc73a"
  9. Song length editing on Windows media player

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Song length editing on Windows media player: I'm trying to edit the length of a song by 43 seconds.... can take from the beginning and the end. Not sure how to do it.... anybody know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/song-length-editing-on-windows-media-player/ff98b50b-6128-4b39-8581-3f2563b49964"
  10. Windows Media Player will not burn song titles

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Media Player will not burn song titles: Something happened along the way - I'm using Windows 10 with all the latest updates etc. When I burn an audio CD using the MP3 files I've ripped to the default Windows Media Player Library I get a good CD (it plays) but the song titles are missing - all that is on the CD is...