Windows 10: Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler issue

Discus and support Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Z50-75 laptop. I am running the most current version of 64 bit Windows 10 Home. When I select a media file like an MP3 by single... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bugo, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bugo Win User

Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler issue

I have a Lenovo Z50-75 laptop. I am running the most current version of 64 bit Windows 10 Home. When I select a media file like an MP3 by single clicking on it, a window pops up on the main desktop (I use a dual monitor setup) on the left side of the screen. This window is like the preview window that is supposed to pop up inside the Windows Explorer preview pane when preview is enabled. When the preview pane is disabled in Explorer, the rogue preview window disappears. This window is especially annoying because it is always on top and cannot be minimized and is rather large (see attached photo.) When this window is visible, a blank button with no icon appears on the taskbar. If I right click on this taskbar button, a menu pops up that says "Windows Media Player Rich Preview..." (see attached picture) plus an option to pin the program to the taskbar or to close the window. Sometimes, when I click on an audio file a button pops up in the taskbar that shows the default Windows application icon but there is no text on the button and the large faulty preview window does not pop up. The faulty preview window doesn't always show up when clicking on a file, but it doesn't show up in the preview pane either. When I click on an .avi file, the preview is shown in the preview pane in Explorer like it is supposed to. I have searched for a solution to this issue online and haven't found anything (the Microsoft sites are beyond worthless) that corrects this bug. Has anybody found a solution to this bug?

:)

2. Video Preview in File Explorer Not Working-Windows 10

And thanks to the Preview Handler Editor, if Microsoft ever fixes the refreshing video thumbnail problem, you can always change back to Microsoft's own Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler.

WinMediaPreview Handler does nothing to negatively affect the Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler.

JSastre_828, Feb 18, 2018
  3. Video Preview in File Explorer Not Working-Windows 10

I just checked here (Windows 10 x64 1511/10586.164) and found that the problem is with Windows Media Player's Rich Preview Handler. If this handler is disabled, the Preview pane refreshes the image correctly, but you lose the ability to "play" that video
    from the Preview pane. I mean, the control bar won't appear under the preview image.

On the other hand, if the WMP Preview Handler is enabled (default), the preview image fails to update, but you can still play the video from the preview pane. Hope this gets fixed in future updates.

Here are the REG files to enable and disable the handler.

;-------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Disable WMP Rich Preview Handler

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers]

"{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"=-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable WMP Rich Preview Handler

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers]

"{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"="Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler"

windows 10 windows media player video thumbnail problem - Microsoft Community

windows 10 windows media player video thumbnail problem

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 18, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Please see
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/pr...ed-windows-10/
    for example. Reports indicate this is a problem area, a defect in Win 10.

So as to avoid the issue, use a different player, in particular for at least mp3's.

I had a different player associated with mp3s, so had not seen this. If I associate mp3's with WMP, I see this:

Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler issue [​IMG]

Interestingly, adjusting the size of the Preview pane changes the size of that player window.

while clicking on the small arrow gives this: (stereo???)

Easiest way is to use a different player for mp3s. (Note, if you do that e.g. for avi's you lose the ability to play the medium in the Preview Pane.

Here's a surprise:

I was fiddling around with preview, and had previewed an AVI file. I then reset the association with mp3 back to media player, and found the preview of the AVI remained visible.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler issue - Similar Threads - Media Player Rich

2. Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler: Hello,Is there an option in registry to make Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler autorun whenever I select/click on a wav, mp3, mp4, etc. file in explorer?...
  3. Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler: Hello,Is there an option in registry to make Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler autorun whenever I select/click on a wav, mp3, mp4, etc. file in explorer?...
  4. this file can't be previewed because of an error in the windows media player rich preview...

in Windows 10 Customization
    this file can't be previewed because of an error in the windows media player rich preview...: how do i fix the above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-file-cant-be-previewed-because-of-an-error-in/7a0ceb47-bb16-4107-ab43-50ed38343a1a
  5. windows media player issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player issues.: Windows media player keep asking that I insert a blank CD and .A cd is in there. I tried all your suggestions without any resolve. I need a real tech support person....
  6. Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler wmprph.exe d3d9.dll error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler wmprph.exe d3d9.dll error: Well it's stop to playing any videos audio formats is ok When i select any mp4 as example player appears as usual, next i click on play btn and after that it's gone leaving only white area next i try to do the same *drop and select again the mp4 it's throw message in preview...
  7. Windows Media Player issue

Windows Media Player issue: When using WMP 12 on Windows 10, i noticed it acting differently from when it was on Windows 7. When you go into any bands albums section, where the have more than one album, lets say for this example, The Beatles. We all know how big they're collection is, when you include...
  8. windows media player issue

windows media player issue: why does windows media player have to retrieve all my music every time i open it? it takes several hours each time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-issue/d7c2462c-6118-43d1-b1cc-46ce04822d97
  9. Windows Media Player issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player issue: I was having an issue with WMP turning off Network Streaming randomly. After Googling this for a resolution, I came across a post suggesting I go into Services.msc, and to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, make sure that it is set to Automatic, and on the Log tab,...
  10. Windows Media Player issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Media Player issue: I was having an issue with WMP turning off Network Streaming randomly. After Googling this for a resolution, I came across a post suggesting I go into Services.msc, and to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, make sure that it is set to Automatic, and on the Log tab,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not play mp3 file in preview pane registry key

2. how to Enable WMP Rich Preview Handler

3. configure windows media player rich preview handler

4. windows media player rich preview disable