Windows 10: Windows Media Player stopped running

Discus and support Windows Media Player stopped running in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks, I have been using WMP since Windows 7 and although it has some faults I am used to it and it does what I need it to do. A week (maybe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SteveGPhoto, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Windows Media Player stopped running

Hi folks,

I have been using WMP since Windows 7 and although it has some faults I am used to it and it does what I need it to do. A week (maybe more?) ago it just stopped working ... completely *Sad

When I open the program I get the Welcome to Windows Media Player dialogue box with tick boxes to choose custom or recommended settings. Whichever I click on it just comes back to the same screen again.

I've tried Groove Music but it's pants - doesn't find all my music, adds loads of stuff to the bottom of lists, etc. - and anyway I want the programe I want <stamps feet> *Smile

I have tried to disable WMP in Programs & Features and then re-enabled it (shutting down fully in between) but that didn't do anything and now I'm stumped. I have two PCs and both are the same!

Ideas, anyone?

:)

SteveGPhoto, Aug 7, 2016
  2. JMMCMM# Win User

Window Media Player

I'm having the same issue. When I go to the Download Windows Media Player from Official Microsoft Download Center and get the following message:

Windows Media Player is not compatible with your system.

You are running Windows 10 64-bit. Although Windows Media Player will not run on your system, you can download Windows Media Player for other operating systems.

Which version would you like to download?

I have Windows Home and have been using Windows Media Player and have Version 12.0.14393.82. Media Player has stopped working and getting the following message "A problem caused the programe to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and
    notify you if a solution is available.

How do I resolve, I wanted reinstall Media Player 12 but so don't seem to be available to.

JMMCMM#, Aug 7, 2016
  3. media file wont play in windows 10

I have tried windows media player, VLC media player, DVD Fab media player and windows 10 player. They all stop playing MP4 ans other types of video. Start and quit video after a few minutes. Restart video file and skip ahead to where it quit. Runs for
    a bit and quits again. Is there any way to fix this? Is there a media Player that works?

steven stewart 11111, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Windows Media Player stopped running

This is for previous versions of Windows so I don't know whether it will work.
    Type 'msdt.exe -idWindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic' without the quotes in Cortana Search and hit Enter to openthe troubleshooting wizard which will help you reset WMP to default settings.

Bastet, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Hi Doctor9fan,

Thanks for the idea ... didn't work *Sad

This is beginning to pee me off!

SteveGPhoto, Aug 8, 2016
  6. Bastet Win User
    Try typing the command in the start>run box. Perhaps that'll work.

Bastet, Aug 9, 2016
  7. I'm ahead of you there ... already tried that *Sad

Time for bed - early start in the morning *Smile

SteveGPhoto, Aug 9, 2016
  8. Bastet Win User

I'm stumped then. *Sad
    Hopefully you'll find a solution soon. *Smile

Bastet, Aug 9, 2016
  9. Bastet Win User
    To test I ran the command myself & it opened the troubleshooter to begin repair for wmp.
    As it didn't open for you there could be more going on than wmp not working.

Bastet, Aug 10, 2016
  10. I appreciate this is a bit of an old thread now but wanted to report that since the Anniversary update WMP has been working properly again.

Happy bunny time *chuckle

SteveGPhoto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player stopped running - Similar Threads - Media Player stopped

2. Windows Media Player Steaming stops running on Windows 10 2023 Fix!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Steaming stops running on Windows 10 2023 Fix!!!: For sometime now, media share feature in Windows Media Player randomly stops working. This breaks and halts all media sharing through media player across the network. No idea what is causing it. I searched and searched and found some helpful settings and direction but nothing...
  3. Windows Media Player Steaming stops running on Windows 10 2023 Fix!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player Steaming stops running on Windows 10 2023 Fix!!!: For sometime now, media share feature in Windows Media Player randomly stops working. This breaks and halts all media sharing through media player across the network. No idea what is causing it. I searched and searched and found some helpful settings and direction but nothing...
  4. Windows Media Player Steaming stops running on Windows 10 2023 Fix!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Media Player runs in the background after exiting.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player runs in the background after exiting.: I'm having an odd issue with WMP 12 where when I click the exit button on the window or use File -> Exit, the process stays running in the background.So what happens is, if I close WMP and have a YouTube video playing, if I use the play/pause key on my keyboard to pause the...
  6. Windows Media Player has stopped ripping Cds.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player has stopped ripping Cds.: Windows Media Player has stopped ripping Cds. Operating system Windows 10 on PC. Can anyone tell me how to I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-has-stopped-ripping-cds/5036c920-e974-4c44-9888-8f61fc314a90
  7. Window Media Player as stopped working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Media Player as stopped working: Windows Media player as stopped working You Get this error if you double click on a file. "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." no error codes like an update disabled it. I was looking for a way to Reinstall or upgrade. Can not find a version...
  8. Windows Media Player 12 stopped working suddenly

Windows Media Player 12 stopped working suddenly: I have WMP12 Win10 64bit. It was playing WAVs and MP3s fine, but suddenly stopped working. Cant find a WMP12 download anywhere to try reinstall. I also have asio4all on my computer but thats not active I believe. Groove Music plays all fine. Why has WMP12 stopped wortking?...
  9. Media Player Running Consecutive Videos

Media Player Running Consecutive Videos: Probably missing something easy and am preoccupied to look into it so throw a quick answer my way lol. But lets say I run multiple instances of a show at one time through Windows media player, it keeps looping the same first launched episode instead of moving down the list. I...
  10. Problem with Windows Media Player stopped loading.

Problem with Windows Media Player stopped loading.: I have set Windows Media Player as the default player for .mp3but have a problem that although WMP is on the start menu when I double clickon it or its shortcut it will just flicker and not load. I have tried different ways to play the .mp3 files by rightclicking on a file...