Windows 10: Windows Media Player stops playing .mkv video after updating to 1709

Discus and support Windows Media Player stops playing .mkv video after updating to 1709 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey, I only update windows 10 about twice a year, because well frankly, it always causes some essential function to stop working. I just updated from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Snarkypuss, May 13, 2018.

1. Windows Media Player stops playing .mkv video after updating to 1709

Hey, I only update windows 10 about twice a year, because well frankly, it always causes some essential function to stop working. I just updated from 1607 to 1709 last week and noticed Windows Media Player no longer plays .mkv files, well... it plays the audio but not the video. It has played these same files without any issues for two years now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: I did try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP to see if that helps and it does not.

:)

Snarkypuss, May 13, 2018

2. Video is stuttering when playing mkv files with any media player. It's a Surface Pro 4.

Which media players have you tried? MP4 and MKV are containers, so did you ensure the audio and video codecs used in both types of test files were exactly the same? If not, take any MP4 that plays back smoothly and convert it to an MKV
    without re-encoding using
    mkvmerge GUI
    (basically just drag & drop onto that app and save as MKV, preferably with the header compression option turned off). It should not take very long to do this and you'll end up with the exact same contents of the MP4 in an MKV container instead.
    Now play the MKV with various media players and see if it stutters.

RobertJWin, May 13, 2018
  3. CANT GET AUDIO WITH A MKV VIDEO

i have a dell all in one and windows 10, 64bit and I cant get sound audio for a MKV video on my windows media player. can I install something or is there a another app that will play regular and mkv videos with AUDIO too??

angelastewart4u, May 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows Media Player stops playing .mkv video after updating to 1709

1. Windows Media Player stops playing .mkv video after updating to 1709 - Similar Threads - Media Player stops

2. Windows 10 media player crashes after playing video once

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 media player crashes after playing video once: Windows 10 media player crashes after playing any video once. This is the error in the troubleshooter: Media library is corrupted The media library used by Windows Media Player is corrupted. This might affect your ability to browse and search for media files on your...
  3. Windows 10 media player crashes after playing video once

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 media player crashes after playing video once: Windows 10 media player crashes after playing any video once. This is the error in the troubleshooter: Media library is corrupted The media library used by Windows Media Player is corrupted. This might affect your ability to browse and search for media files on your...
  4. Windows 10 media player crashes after playing video once

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Media Player fails to play the full video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player fails to play the full video: I run a youtube channel and I'm trying to set one of the videos to be 'made for kids'...its a mental health based channel so it's a gud thing..I downloaded the video and tried to watch on windows media player. I watched until 50ish minutes out of the total of 70 ish minutes....
  6. Windows Media Player fails to play the full video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player fails to play the full video: I run a youtube channel and I'm trying to set one of the videos to be 'made for kids'...its a mental health based channel so it's a gud thing..I downloaded the video and tried to watch on windows media player. I watched until 50ish minutes out of the total of 70 ish minutes....
  7. Problem playing older videos on Windows Media Player

Problem playing older videos on Windows Media Player: Hello I have a large number of videos from years past stored on a portable hard drive, which always used to play on Windows Media Player on my computer with no problem. However, now when I plug this portable hard drive into my computer and try to play these videos, Windows...
  8. Trying to play an uploaded video with Windows Media Player

Trying to play an uploaded video with Windows Media Player: When I try the same error message keeps coming up! What does 'server execution failed' mean? and how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-play-an-uploaded-video-with-windows/c1d0fb31-f31a-483d-bbf8-4177288d5aad
  9. Technical Trouble with Media Player/Videos not Playing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Technical Trouble with Media Player/Videos not Playing: Having technical issues with my media player not working/videos not playing. This error just came up. Undefined Error Code" Append_Buffer_Err Failed to execute appendBuffer or SourceBuffer: The HTML MediaElement. error is not null. Any clue what I should do....
  10. Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???: Hello All, I have always had issues with subtitles in WMP, it is simply not user friendly at all. Now I have several *.mkv files that have subtitles built in, but even after selecting 'On if available' WMP is not showing any subs. It works in ALL other video players,...