Windows 10: Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing

Discus and support Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'd like to know why windows media player won't play my media files after a reboot. Didn't change codecs. Didn't delete anything. I did try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Homer Simpson, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing

I'd like to know why windows media player won't play my media files after a reboot. Didn't change codecs. Didn't delete anything.

I did try to restore cos I suddenly couldn't go online but the restore said that it didn't work so I assume nothing was changed

Same exact file, same folder, now won't play.

Oh, and Chrome now won't open. Makes the little "timer" spinny icon thing, then that stops, program isn't open. I know that's a different problem but it started at the same time

Thanks for any help

It's extremely frustrating to switch to what you think will be a new and improved os and have these things happen

And it's not like I have an old printer that won't work now or something. This is windows media player

:)

Homer Simpson, Feb 11, 2016
  2. AndrewLK Win User

Windows 10 - Why won't it play my .wmv files?

Now that Media Player has gone, Windows 10 just won't play .wmv files. Why not? What can I do? They'll play in VLC media Player but this MS Windows file format just doesn't seem to be recognised by W10. Terrible, just terrible. Whatever happened to backward
    compatibility?

AndrewLK, Feb 11, 2016
  3. [Windows 10] Movies & TV app won't play AVI file

I have the same problem. The AVI files won't play on Windows Media player either. They will play on Windows 7 media player, that I have on my laptop at work.

ADJRussell, Feb 11, 2016
  4. Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing

Instead of coming on here and posting the above and swearing
    Why don't you ask nicely for some help.
    Members otherwise will just read your post and ignore it or report it

hTconeM9user, Feb 11, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Ok. Try running sfc /scannow.

If WMP does not work after that, try VLC

With chrome, I would just uninstall and reinstall.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2016
  6. PJLLB Win User
    You migh try uninstalling and the reinstalling WMP from the Window Features control panel media features area.

PJLLB, Feb 13, 2016
  7. I can't find any "media features" and it's not listed under Programs and Features anyway, so I don't seem to be able to uninstall it

I can't think of a good reason why the same file doesn't work 5 minutes after it did work, without my changing any settings

Homer Simpson, Feb 13, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing

WMP is a core part of OS.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2016
  9. Well I kinda assumed it might be.

Everything has worked until now, with WMP and the windows 7 codec pack
    Windows 7 Codec Pack

It was working with Win10, too, until recently. I suspect it might've been one of the installs Win10 forces on me without really telling me that is causing some of the media files to not work. I don't see anything else it could be, similar to the winsock protocol file that randomly goes missing and suddenly I can't connect anymore even though I haven't changed anything.

Yes, I can use VLC. This is really an admission that Win10 has unsolvable problems. Forgive my frustration. Thankyou

Homer Simpson, Feb 14, 2016
  10. PJLLB Win User
    I'll post this again. WMP shows under the Media Features in the Turn Windows features on or off area just like other Windows features such as Hyper-V, etc. I recently had some strange WMP behavior. So I uninstalled it and the reinstalled it and it corrected the problem.

PJLLB, Feb 14, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Suggestion only :
    Install K-Lite codec pack. It's much better than Win7 codec pack.

Codec Guide: K-Lite Codec Pack - For Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7 / Vista / XP

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing

1. Windows media player suddenly won't play a file I was just playing - Similar Threads - media player suddenly

2. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  3. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  4. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  5. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  6. Media Player won't play a music file.

7. Media player won't play songs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player won't play songs: I can't get my playlist to play in media player legacy or the new media player. Do I need to transfer the files? One song played, now I get the message below;"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the...
  8. Media player won't play songs

Media player won't play songs: I can't get my playlist to play in media player legacy or the new media player. Do I need to transfer the files? One song played, now I get the message below;"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the...
  9. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  10. Windows Media Player won't play .flv files

Windows Media Player won't play .flv files: OK, so once again, Windows Media Player will not play certain filetypes, specifically .flv files, despite the fact that it recently would play them. I have the k-lite codec pack Any solution other than "Uninstall Windows 10" that anyone can tell me? 43271