Windows 10: Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

Discus and support Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all. Windows Media Player, Version 12.0.17134.471, will not play .MP4 files. I receive the following message: "Can't play. This file isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kong_77, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Kong_77 Win User

Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

Hello all.

Windows Media Player, Version 12.0.17134.471, will not play .MP4 files.

I receive the following message:

"Can't play. This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported,

the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4"

VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower plays .MP4's ok.

Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

Kong_77, Jan 25, 2019
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows media player will not play mp4!

Who spends $5,000 on a computer to play .mp4s?

In any case, I have lots of .mp4s and they play well on Windows Media Player. If you've got an .mp4 that won't play, here are two suggestions:

1- download another copy of the file; and

2- ask the content provider for help.

BulldogXX, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Play MP4 in Media PLayer

Since Win 10 update I can longer play MP4 videos I used to be able to play in Win 7, using Windows Media Player.

Why has this function stopped? I thought win 10 was an "improvement".

This is the error message - Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I do not wish to use VLC player.

carrotmuseum, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

Window Media Player Unable to Play .mp4

I don't know if this topic have been discussed before .I just upgrade to Windows 10 and I try to play mp4 video file in Windows Media Player and it shows error that it need codec.I already download bunch of codec and it is still unable to play.Any suggestion
    is welcome.

Code101knight, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files

1. Windows Media Player will not play .MP4 files - Similar Threads - Media Player play

2. Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows...: Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows 11. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-cant-play-mp4-files-hevc/489ead5d-7b82-4ecf-ba57-032a4ae53490
  3. Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows...: Windows media Player can't play MP4 files. HEVC Video Extensions not supported by Windows 11. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-cant-play-mp4-files-hevc/489ead5d-7b82-4ecf-ba57-032a4ae53490
  4. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file: I'm posting this because I found what an easy solution for this issue. This problem only pops up occasionally, and I do not know why Media Player doesn't recognize the video on these .mp4, but when I opened these files with the Avidemux video editor which is free to download...
  5. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file: I'm posting this because I found what an easy solution for this issue. This problem only pops up occasionally, and I do not know why Media Player doesn't recognize the video on these .mp4, but when I opened these files with the Avidemux video editor which is free to download...
  6. Windows Media Player plays the audio, but shows no video, on .mp4 file

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. .mp4 files in window media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .mp4 files in window media player: why .mp4 fies are not play in window media player in windows 10 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-files-in-window-media-player/df1a9991-37f0-40b8-8928-5dfc4aea586a"
  8. Windows media player will not play mp4!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows media player will not play mp4!: Why is MS being such an ASS and not providing the codec to play the files. Just spent $5000 on a worthless computer because of you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-media-player-will-not-play-mp4/17c48516-49cb-4b46-9e4f-eb738c1da3b1
  9. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade: After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play a video in WMP, I get an error message saying that WMP is unable to play the file. I am using the latest Shark007 codecs...
  10. Play MP4 in Media PLayer

Play MP4 in Media PLayer: Since Win 10 update I can longer play MP4 videos I used to be able to play in Win 7, using Windows Media Player. Why has this function stopped? I thought win 10 was an "improvement". This is the error message - Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

2. windws media player not playing mp4 but vlc is