Windows 10: Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will

Discus and support Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Here's an oddity. On my main desktop computer, I cannot, somehow, play any MIDI file, whether from C:\Windows\Media or from games, like 3D Space Cadet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by retro-pc_user, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will

Here's an oddity. On my main desktop computer, I cannot, somehow, play any MIDI file, whether from C:\Windows\Media or from games, like 3D Space Cadet Pinball or some other game in Windows Media Player. The games or another program, Foobar 2000, can and will play said files without issues, except Foobar 2000 has a small issue with MIDI playback as the instruments are a bit off.

My system is running Windows 10 Pro build 1903 64-bit and the sound card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi Pro 5.1 Surround USB card and my onboard audio is disabled, and the other audio is on my nVidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti for both HDMI and DisplayPort, which cannot output any as I have a DisplayPort to DVI cable connected. My main laptop running Windows 10 Pro Build 1903 64-bit can play MIDI files without issues.

Is there a bug that I'm not aware of or is there something else that's gone bad? No viruses, even SFC /scannow said there were no bad files located. I also removed and re-installed Media Player 12 under Programs and Features (appwiz.cpl) under turning Windows features on and off to no avail.

The sound card drivers are up-to-date and was able to play MIDI files without any issues before the 1903 build was installed and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth under the Software devices section under Device Manager.

:)

retro-pc_user, Sep 9, 2019

2. WIndows Media Player Cannot Play Midi Files

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510 running Windows 10, which I bought a few months ago. I've noticed a problem whenever I try to play a midi file on Windows Media Player. Whenever I attempt to play the file I get an error message with the following text:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

For context, the files which I'm trying to play are some Midi files on Wikipedia which are examples of various musical intervals (Example: File:Perfect octave on C.mid - Wikipedia). These files worked perfectly fine on my previous laptop,
    which ran Windows 7.

To double check to make sure it was a problem on my end, and not the files, I tried to play one of the built in midi files located in C:\Windows\Media. This resulted in the exact same error message.

I assume that I'm missing the proper driver to play these files, but I don't know which driver I would need to install, or how to properly install it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie.

Charles Saroff, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Midi files not playing

Hello,

I have a problem about playing the midi files;Windows Media Player always sends me this message when i open any midi file : "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device
    installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.
    "

I tried reinstalling the sound device and updating it but its the same.Also, this problem is not limited to WMP but also the midi sequencer apps.

I have Windows 8.1 on laptop HP Elitebook 844p.

My driver is IDT High Definition.

N.P. : Windows media player can play most other media files without a problem (mp3, mp4, wav...)

Thanks.

Areeg Ghonaim, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will

Win 10 Pro with IE11 will not play Midi and Mp3 WEB site files

As a workaround, we suggest that you download the files and use Windows Media Player with the right codec package installed. To do that, you may refer to the support link below:

Let us know how it goes.

Jeraldine Ase, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will

1. Windows Media Player won't play any MIDI file, but Foobar 2000 and games will - Similar Threads - Media Player won't

2. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  3. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  4. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  5. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  6. Media Player won't play a music file.

7. Windows media player cant play my beat midi files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows media player cant play my beat midi files: can some one help me with this problem i cant make more beats because of this problem and i already downloaded a K-lite codec pack since i watched it on youtube but nothing happens : so pls help me guys ! Thanks in advance ! ;...
  8. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  9. VLC Media Player or any media player won't play DVD

VLC Media Player or any media player won't play DVD: So I am going to tell you about this, when I was trying to open a DVD on a third-party media player, it doesn't play. I tried VLC, but it doesn't play without an error, while I tried it on 5KPlayer, but it has the same issue as VLC, then, I tried it on MPC-HC, but it said...
  10. Windows Media Player won't play .flv files

Windows Media Player won't play .flv files: OK, so once again, Windows Media Player will not play certain filetypes, specifically .flv files, despite the fact that it recently would play them. I have the k-lite codec pack Any solution other than "Uninstall Windows 10" that anyone can tell me? 43271

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BRAVO-HD Audio CPL wont work with foobar 2000

2. why windows media player cant wont play mid file codec