Windows 10: Windows Media Player won't play .flv files

Discus and support Windows Media Player won't play .flv files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OK, so once again, Windows Media Player will not play certain filetypes, specifically .flv files, despite the fact that it recently would play them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Homer Simpson, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Windows Media Player won't play .flv files

OK, so once again, Windows Media Player will not play certain filetypes, specifically .flv files, despite the fact that it recently would play them.

I have the k-lite codec pack

Any solution other than "Uninstall Windows 10" that anyone can tell me?

:)

Homer Simpson, Mar 6, 2016

2. N91 - Real Player

The real player on mobile phone is just a basic real player & no way you can play flv files just like in pc/laptop which has the full version & can add codec. The only solution is to convert/transcode the flv files to a media file in which the phone media
    player could run. There are 3rd party media player that can run more media format but can't run also flv files.

android---01, Mar 6, 2016
  3. windows media player and .flv

Hi,

Are you able to play other file types using Windows Media Player apart from .flv?

Anannya Podder, Mar 6, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows Media Player won't play .flv files

Use VLC or one of a zillion other packages instead.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2016
  5. Yes, I've used VLC but for some reason it often gave a hissing sound, which is why I switched to WMP. And WMP worked fine on Win7.

Well strangely enough WMP is now working for flv files. I didn't do anything other than wait a few minutes. Exact same files now work.

I get told off if I insult the programmers who wrote Win10, but seriously? Why? It's like it's a deliberate joke sometimes.

So no, this issue isn't "solved". Please stop marking issues as solved when they're not. When we know why WMP does this and install a solution, then it's solved. The fact that it's working at this second but may stop working again more or less randomly... not solved

6. Hahaha, and now it's not working again. The EXACT SAME FILE in the EXACT SAME DIRECTORY that I played 10 minutes ago now won't work.

I didn't open and close the player or the directory. Nothing, except wait a few minutes.

I'm sick of being polite about this turd of an OS and the incompetents that programmed it

So issue is not solved

7. I don't have a fix for you but I share your disdain for Windows Media Player. MS brutally ripped out the DVD codec sometime after Windows 7 (I skipped over 8 and 8.1 toytown Windows versions so maybe they were missing from that) and it had horrible side effect of removing the ability to playback MPEG files in media player (so all my video camera saved files over last few years no longer playable or producing a thumbnail). I have achieved workarounds but I share your pain. One shouldn't have to resort to downloading risky codec packs to make a popular and common video format work

I suspect your file format has fallen victim to the same.

Scottyboy99, Mar 6, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Simple reality is MS are no longer developing WMP.

You might as well shout at the Moon for all the good whinging about is is going to do.

cereberus, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I use the Ant.com add-in toolbar for downloading .flv videos, usually from YouTube, and it has a built-in video player on the toolbar. I'm seeing other formats more frequently, .mp4 and .mkv, sometimes have to use VLC to play them.

Berton, Apr 26, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm surprised VLC has a "Hissing sound" -- have you set the audio controls properly in VLC.
    Another solution is simply to convert the codec to one you want. WMP as others have said is "Deprecated Software" -- Ms aren't doing any developement on it so choose something else. Sticking with WMV format is bad news -- or is any proprietary format as you are stuck when it's no longer supported.

To anybody who still has WMV files - convert them (losslessly) to WAV and then you can compress LOSSLESSLY to FLAC which is my preferred format - especially as I don't like "Lossy" music -- I won't even have MP3 stuff near my computer unless it's decently recorded at 320 kb/s -- anything else is just Cacophony --I might just as well listen to big Road drills or Oil rigs working !!.

FLV format should work just fine -- ensure you've got the latest version of VLC downloaded, enable the effects (audio) and adjust to your taste.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 26, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Not to worry.
    ONLY you, the original poster, and the Admin/Mods have the privilege to mark your thread as Solved.

davidhk, Apr 26, 2016
  12. I use Free YouTube Downloader once downloaded just click on the video you want
    That plays my videos ok in WMP, Toshiba Media Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD Player
    For all other Videos I find on line I want to play Cyberlink PowerDVD Player takes care of all that

hTconeM9user, Apr 26, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Homer Simpson,
    It has been over a month now.
    What is the status regarding using WMP ?
    Is it still working ?

davidhk, Apr 26, 2016
  14. WMP works, although for some reason double-clicking on some filetypes doesn't open it and I have to open it first then drag and drop or something. For many filetypes the file opens but doesn't start playing - I have to switch to the player and click play.

I might say that VLC used to have a hissing/crackling sound, which is why I switched to WMP, particularly after I found codecs for WMP, but it's fine now. I suppose I'll use VLC. Thanks for the comments!

Homer Simpson, Apr 27, 2016
  15. Brian k Win User
    Just type "vlc alternative" or "windows media player alternative " in google, and then you will get many good players to play your flv files.

Brian k, Apr 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Media Player won't play .flv files - Similar Threads - Media Player won't

2. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  3. Media Player won't play avi files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Player won't play avi files.: I can play "avi" files from my SSD just fine, but not from an SDHC or USB device. When I try "Media Player" or Dell's "Power Media Player" both take a LONG time to start and then don't move through the file. Files are 5.6MB on an 8GB SDHC card. There are numerous files, all...
  4. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  5. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  6. Media Player won't play a music file.

7. Media player won't play songs

Media player won't play songs: I can't get my playlist to play in media player legacy or the new media player. Do I need to transfer the files? One song played, now I get the message below;"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the...
  8. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  9. m2ts files won't play in VLC but will in Windows media player !!!

m2ts files won't play in VLC but will in Windows media player !!!: Hi there Never thought I'd see the day where a codec doesn't work properly in VLC but works in Windows media player !!!! m2ts files (HD video - usually used in Blu Ray etc) cause VLC to freeze - Windows media player just plays them !!!! -- I'm talking about non...
  10. Windows Media Player in Open with for .flv files

Windows Media Player in Open with for .flv files: Im very happy with this contextmenu in 1703-version. There is only one thing left ,which I could not fix still. When I rightclick on a .flv-file , I can click on " open with " ,then another small menu opens with the apps available for playing the .flv-file. I have...