Windows 10: Windows media player won't play music from external hard drive

Discus and support Windows media player won't play music from external hard drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I'm asking this question on behalf of my dad who loves listening to actual CDs since he prefers the sound quality of them. He often likes to make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by N_Ebrahim, Nov 26, 2018.

1. N_Ebrahim Win User

Windows media player won't play music from external hard drive

Hi. I'm asking this question on behalf of my dad who loves listening to actual CDs since he prefers the sound quality of them. He often likes to make his own mixed CDs and has a lot of music saved on an external hard drive. We've noticed that if we select a music file on the external by double clicking in File Explorer the file plays fine, however if we open Windows Media player all of the files on the external are displayed but don't play when we click on them and also cannot drag and drop into the pane to create a playlist. My dad first has to copy the music to the laptop (Windows 10) itself and then it plays from windows media player. Is there a reason for this or something we supposed to do? Thanks in advance

:)

N_Ebrahim, Nov 26, 2018
  2. KomouPoji Win User

Windows 10 Media Player will not save music data populated fron external hard drive???

Hi Day,

To assist you further, let me ask you:

• Did you disconnects the external hard drive or is it connected all the time?
    • What exactly do you mean by populated?
    • Are you referring to media player library/playlist?
    If it is about library and the external hard drive is connected all the time, I would suggest you to run Media player settings troubleshooter and media player library troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and select Control panel.

2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click troubleshooting.

3. Click View all, Click Windows Media player Settings and then media player library troubleshooter.

I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on windows, we’ll be glad to help you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Nov 26, 2018
  3. media drive uk

a media drive is an external hdd that has software on it enabling you to just plug it into your tv and watch videos/play music etc

i would suggest ebay for that sort of money tbh

mullered07, Nov 26, 2018
  4. P&JA Win User

windows 10 media player will not read my external Hard drive

Hi thanks for the info but it did not help. I can view the disk drive & music content in media player but cant play anything. Media player will play music from the internal hard drive

P&JA, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows media player won't play music from external hard drive - Similar Threads - media player won't

2. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  3. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player won't play a music file.: Media Play won't open a music file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-wont-play-a-music-file/f70ed620-dfe3-4498-8557-fe7be5889dba
  4. Media Player won't play a music file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. winndows media player won't play music file from phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    winndows media player won't play music file from phone: I've tried everything switching cables, and ports, shortening file names, connecting as media advice, adjusting transfer settings, troubleshooting, updating, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, reinstalling media player, factory resetting the phone, resetting the...
  6. winndows media player won't play music file from phone

winndows media player won't play music file from phone: I've tried everything switching cables, and ports, shortening file names, connecting as media advice, adjusting transfer settings, troubleshooting, updating, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, reinstalling media player, factory resetting the phone, resetting the...
  7. winndow media player won't play music file from phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    winndow media player won't play music file from phone: I've tried everything switching cables, and ports, shortening file names, connecting as media advice, adjusting transfer settings, troubleshooting, updating, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, reinstalling media player, factory resetting the phone, resetting the...
  8. winndow media player won't play music file from phone

winndow media player won't play music file from phone: I've tried everything switching cables, and ports, shortening file names, connecting as media advice, adjusting transfer settings, troubleshooting, updating, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, reinstalling media player, factory resetting the phone, resetting the...
  9. Windows Media Player is not playing music from CD

Windows Media Player is not playing music from CD: I have a new PC and I have connected a Pioneer BDR-XD07U drive via USB with a CD audio disc in the drive but when I try to play any audio track from the drive Windows Media Player will launch but not play any of the tracks. The drive shows in Media Player so the app at least...
  10. Playing music from external hard drive on computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playing music from external hard drive on computer: I copied all my music to an external Toshiba hard drive. When trying to play the songs get WMP message that says "WMP cannot find file...". All music is still in WMP and can play from there but not from external drive. How can this be fixed?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows media player cant play file on external drive

2. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER DOESNT PLAY EXTERNAL DRIVE

3. wmp stolen my music from hard drive

4. how to get music from a seperate hardrive to work on WMP,
  5. media player will not play from external hard drive,
  6. why cant I play my music on my external hard drive?,
  7. play music from windows xp hard drive,
  8. media player wont play off hard drive,
  9. my music is on a removable drive and does not appear in media player,
  10. external hard drive will not play music files,
  11. how do you play music from a external hard drive in windows media player?,
  12. errors on trying to play music after restoring external device,
  13. play mustic from external hard drive using windows media player,
  14. windows media player playlist doesnt play other disk,
  15. connect media player to external had drive