Windows 10: Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM?

Discus and support Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all,I am using the Nitro 5 AN515-53 with 8GB of RAM.I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic in the past to make sure that my RAM isn't faulty, and did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Felix Kwok, May 27, 2021.

1. Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM?

Hi all,I am using the Nitro 5 AN515-53 with 8GB of RAM.I have run Windows Memory Diagnostic in the past to make sure that my RAM isn't faulty, and did not receive errors. I'd run memtest86 but I don't have any working USBs that will successfully write no matter what I tried.Do any of you know if the current diagnostic can scan 8GB of RAM or only the first 4GB? Can I keep my mouse and keyboard USBs plugged in during the test?

:)

Felix Kwok, May 27, 2021
  2. misha256 Win User

Does Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool scan RAM over 4GB?

Back in the Windows 7 days, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool was unable to scan RAM beyond 4GB:

Fast-forward to today. Windows 10 has, built in, a (presumably) later version of the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool tool. I am running it now on a PC with 16GB RAM. But the GUI is extremely plain. It does not show what amount or range of RAM it's scanning.

Does anyone know if this latest Windows 10 incarnation of the tool scans all 16GB of RAM, or is it still limited to the first 4GB like previous versions?

Extra info for the extra curious:

Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool does not run under Windows. It is a bare-metal app that has direct access to physical RAM (well, almost direct, but no need to get too technical). Without being privy to the source code, we can only speculate how it runs under the hood and why there was/is a 4GB limit. Clearly even 32-bit bare-metal apps can gain access to physical RAM above 4GB, so long as such apps utilize protected mode together with PAE. That's exactly how Memtest86 used to do it, before native 64-bit support was introduced.*

Ultimately, this question is not about what is possible and how, but what Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool is capable of. Is the latest version that ships with Windows 10 still limited to the first 4GB of RAM?

misha256, May 27, 2021
  3. prashii Win User
    Windows shows 8GB RAM installed but 4GB RAM is usable

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my pc from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. Windows seems to have detected this upgrade but why does it show as only 4GB RAM available. The following is what I have tried so far with no luck:

• I have tried the msconfig method on ensuring maximum memory is not checked.
    • physically removed the new RAM and reinstalled it
    Any thoughts/suggestions on how i can resolve this matter?

Thanks

prashii, May 27, 2021
  4. Je_mezu24 Win User

Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM?

Windows 10 & Problems With System and Compressed Memory Taking Up All Of The Computer's RAM

Ive also already ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool hundreds to thousands of times every time System and Compressed Memory is shown to be using all of my computer's RAM/Memory and it too has stated that there are no problems with my computer's Memory/RAM either.
    I've also ran it after many restarts to clear up System and Compressed Memory so that it isn't using all of my computer's Memory/RAM until the next time it does it again and again. It's always after a few hours of use with the computer and it doesn't matter
    if anything is being used or if the computer is idle. It is even worse directly after waking the computer up from it going to Windows 10's login screen or should I say the pictured (screensaver) screen.

I can easily post a screenshot taken with my iPad of the fact that the Memory Diagnostic Tool shows that there is no memory problems whatsoever either!

Je_mezu24, May 27, 2021
Thema:

Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM?

1. Windows Memory Diagnostic - Can scan full 8GB RAM? - Similar Threads - Memory Diagnostic scan

2. Can my processor handle 8GB of RAM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can my processor handle 8GB of RAM.: Hello! I am running an Intel Celeron N4100 on my laptop, currently I have 4GB of RAM.I was wondering if upgrading my RAM from 4GB to 8GB is OK for my processor.Thank you very much!...
  3. Can my processor handle 8GB of RAM.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can my processor handle 8GB of RAM.: Hello! I am running an Intel Celeron N4100 on my laptop, currently I have 4GB of RAM.I was wondering if upgrading my RAM from 4GB to 8GB is OK for my processor.Thank you very much!...
  4. Full diagnostics

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full diagnostics: Microsoft sending diagnosticsmy pc isn't controlled by school or work,its gaming pcit doesn't allow me to check second box it is just grayishthis is translation from my pc laungage to Diagnosis and feedbackSome of these settings are hidden or managed by your company or...
  5. Full diagnostics

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full diagnostics: Microsoft sending diagnosticsmy pc isn't controlled by school or work,its gaming pcit doesn't allow me to check second box it is just grayishthis is translation from my pc laungage to Diagnosis and feedbackSome of these settings are hidden or managed by your company or...
  6. Memory leak takes over 8GB of Ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory leak takes over 8GB of Ram: My memory leak just keeps getting worse. It looks like a paged pool leak. I have tried many things like reinstalling all of my drivers, doing anything I could find on youtube and changing my Ram sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Krinsim SPECS: Intel core...
  7. Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram: I m using acer aspire 5 8 gb varient what is the best paging file size for pubg emulator..... Plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-memory-fix-for-8gb-ram/68fb864a-6eaa-49bb-8517-4875c9f369ce
  8. Can i use Windows Memory Diagnostic in 16gb of ram system ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can i use Windows Memory Diagnostic in 16gb of ram system ?: Can WMD/Memory test used in 16gb of ram computer ? Someone said you should run wmd/memtest if you only have 4gb of ram, if you have more than 4gb you have to use memtest86. Is it true ? I am using Windows 10 Home Single Language 1903 143941
  9. 8gb RAM?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    8gb RAM?: Iam thinking of going to 8gb or RAM. Problem is I have 4 RAM slots on my motherboard and if I did buy the ram I'd get 2x4gb sticks. Would this make any difference? Would it work? 40075
  10. ran into problem with memory diagnostic scan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ran into problem with memory diagnostic scan: the memory diagnostic scan results never showed after I logged back in*Shock what do I do now hmm*cry 88430