Windows 10: Windows Microsoft account authentication

Discus and support Windows Microsoft account authentication in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thomas E. Davis, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths and their security implications through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt without two step verification explicitly set up

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt with two step verification explicitly set up

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Thomas E. Davis, Mar 10, 2020
  2. poit57 Win User

Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming to iOS

Source: Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming soon to an iOS device near you! Enterprise Mobility + Security

Brink, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows Microsoft account authentication

Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming to iOS

Source: Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming soon to an iOS device near you! Enterprise Mobility + Security

Brink, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows Microsoft account authentication

1. Windows Microsoft account authentication - Similar Threads - Microsoft account authentication

2. deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator: I accidentally deleted an account on my Microsoft Authenticator app and I had not backed up. How do I restore the account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-account-on-my-microsoft-authenticator/2533c9c9-b51d-434f-8b21-86362efb7ec5
  3. deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator: I accidentally deleted an account on my Microsoft Authenticator app and I had not backed up. How do I restore the account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-account-on-my-microsoft-authenticator/2533c9c9-b51d-434f-8b21-86362efb7ec5
  4. deleted account on my Microsoft Authenticator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Microsoft Authenticator won't restore accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator won't restore accounts: I have an Android phone with Microsoft Authenticator set up with a bunch of 2FA. Backup is enabled.As a safety, in case I loose my device, I installed MA on a second Android device. I use the same Microsoft Account on both.I logged in on the second device. It showed...
  6. Microsoft Authenticator won't restore accounts

Microsoft Authenticator won't restore accounts: I have an Android phone with Microsoft Authenticator set up with a bunch of 2FA. Backup is enabled.As a safety, in case I loose my device, I installed MA on a second Android device. I use the same Microsoft Account on both.I logged in on the second device. It showed...
  7. Microsoft Authenticator won't restore accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. microsoft authenticator

microsoft authenticator: I can't verify my authenticator app, I am locked out of my account and I have a new computer and I have changed my phone number. I tried to use the new form to get my hotmail account back but it keeps saying I need to approve microsoft authenticator app and I cant log into it...
  9. Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator: Hello,recently I have a problem using MS Authenticator. If I want to do something with my outlook.com account. If I want to do something with my outlook.com account, I always need to send a notification. In MSA it is necessary to confirm three times fingerprint and it still...
  10. Microsoft Authenticator Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Authenticator Accounts: Split from this thread.Lockout of DESKTOP-K7KC2TD pin***removed PII******Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Subscription, account, billing / Unknown / Other***...