Windows 10: Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR

Discus and support Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Core i7-8700K -64GB RAM Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370 NVidia RTX 3070 HP Reverb G2 Also Oculus Quest 1 using Oculus Link Windows 10 20H2 19042.746... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PeterKerney, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR

Core i7-8700K -64GB RAM

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370

NVidia RTX 3070

HP Reverb G2 Also Oculus Quest 1 using Oculus Link

Windows 10 20H2 19042.746 x64

I've been using the HP Reverb for a month or so and before that the Oculus Quest 1 with Oculus Link with minimal problems and just recently WMR USB 3.0 has stopped being recognized giving the Error code 4-1 or 4-4 USB errors.

So I uninstalled the WMR Portal and now I cannot get past the Minimum spec requirement check saying that I have no USB 3.0+ ports or when I start WMR Portal with the Reverb connected it gives the 4-1 or 4-4 errors.

My motherboard ONLY has USB 3.0 ports! Some are even 3.0 version 2.

I've spent hours on the net looking at various solutions/workarounds etc. other than powered USB hubs or PCIe->USB cards.

I've tried

- uninstalling/reinstalling/disabling USB drivers with appropriate reboots.

- ensuring the Microsoft USB drivers are being used for the ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible host controller

- looked at the motherboard manual and seen how all the USB ports are connected although it seems like none of them say they have high power charging capability so not sure of the power supply availability

- tried all the USB ports including the USB-C, front panel, all the ones on the back panel

- updated BIOS, INF update, with/without the ASMedia USB drivers installed

- tried the Gigabyte USB Power boost options to give a little more power to the top USB ports

- Windows updates etc. I have Auto Update ON, so who knows what Microsoft has sent down recently which might have upset things

- Setting the "AllowFailedSystemChecks" for the FirstRun bypass registry setting for WMR

- tried the Microsoft USB test tool MUTT but not sure what I was supposed to be seeing here

It's like Windows just can't tell that I have USB 3.0 ports anymore.

As I've been using the VR for a while in this PC with WMR, SteamVR etc. and it used to pass the WMR check why is it now saying no USB 3.0 ports and not letting me use the VR AT ALL?

Any suggestions?

:)

PeterKerney, Jan 13, 2021

2. Windows Mixed Reality test incorrectly reports a USB problem?

I have just done a a Windows Mixed Reality PC test and it says 'This PCs USB controller wont work with WMR? A detailed report shows that you need 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Contoller - 1.0 (Microsoft)' listed in your USB drivers.

I have checked Device Manager and this driver IS listed and it IS the latest driver.

So WHY is this stupid MS WMR PC check not finding it?

IanHartland, Jan 13, 2021
  3. WMR (windows mixed reality)

Bob, I found a fuller troubleshooting guide here for WMR:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-...

Nothing on that error I can find elsewhere.

Did you try rolling back the Updates installed at about that same time, using the methods I gave you?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-20, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR

Locked out of Windows Mixed Reality Ultra

Hi,

There are several aspects that can contribute as to why Windows Mixed Reality Ultra is not accessible with your device. This includes graphics driver compatibility, processor compatibility or the version of Windows 10 being used need to be updated to name
    a few. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• What other troubleshooting steps have you already attempted?
    • Did you remove the USB 3.1 PCIe card when you attempted to use the built-in USB ports on your device?
    • If the answer is yes, did you also reinstall the USB device drivers?
    • Have you tried to use the different USB ports available on your device?
    • Did the issue occur only in a specific game or did any mixed reality game you tested have the same results?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 is installed on your device?

As a recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps on this
    link
    to reinstall the USB “eXtensible Host Controller” driver and then check if you can now access
    Windows Mixed Reality Ultra. Take note that these steps also apply to the USB 3.1 PCIe card you installed.

If you want to test the USB 3.1 PCIe card once more, make sure to follow the same steps in the article regarding the driver that needs to be used.
    Also, check the section in the article about the self-powered USB port as this may be one of the causes you're not able to run
    Windows Mixed Reality Ultra.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR

1. Windows Mixed Reality WMR check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR - Similar Threads - Mixed Reality WMR

2. Windows updater not working; Mixed Reality not seeing my VR headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updater not working; Mixed Reality not seeing my VR headset: Sequence of events:Got a new computer.Plugged in my HP Reverb G2, but nothing happened. Went through all the troubleshooting tips with no results.Reinstalled Mixed Reality Portal. It opens and says it is downloading, but then crashes. It was suggested that I don't have all...
  3. Windows updater not working; Mixed Reality not seeing my VR headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updater not working; Mixed Reality not seeing my VR headset: Sequence of events:Got a new computer.Plugged in my HP Reverb G2, but nothing happened. Went through all the troubleshooting tips with no results.Reinstalled Mixed Reality Portal. It opens and says it is downloading, but then crashes. It was suggested that I don't have all...
  4. Error Code 1-8 in Windows Mixed Reality WMR on HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code 1-8 in Windows Mixed Reality WMR on HP Reverb G2 VR Headset: Greetings, <Background> I use VR quite often and bought a Reverb G2 about a year ago. Though in December of last year, it burned out and I was sent a replacement strangely passed off as my original headset the serial numbers differed. Regardless, it mostly has worked, though...
  5. Error Code 1-8 in Windows Mixed Reality WMR on HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Error Code 1-8 in Windows Mixed Reality WMR on HP Reverb G2 VR Headset: Greetings, <Background> I use VR quite often and bought a Reverb G2 about a year ago. Though in December of last year, it burned out and I was sent a replacement strangely passed off as my original headset the serial numbers differed. Regardless, it mostly has worked, though...
  6. Usb 3.0 issue-Mixed Reality

Usb 3.0 issue-Mixed Reality: When I open mixed reality before plugging in the USB for my HP reverb G2, it displays that my pc meets the requirements and has USB 3.0 but when plugging in the USB to any port an error is triggered stating the USB cable is not connected to a USB 3.0 port. This error occurs...
  7. Usb 3.0 issue-Mixed Reality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb 3.0 issue-Mixed Reality: When I open mixed reality before plugging in the USB for my HP reverb G2, it displays that my pc meets the requirements and has USB 3.0 but when plugging in the USB to any port an error is triggered stating the USB cable is not connected to a USB 3.0 port. This error occurs...
  8. Black screen windows mixed reality vr FIXED

Black screen windows mixed reality vr FIXED: I've got an odyssey + and recently it stopped working. It has worked perfectly before but now in the headset it shows all black but in my pc monitor I can see perfectly. I've tried the trouble-shooting page but it did not work, I'm getting scared my vr headset won't work...
  9. New Microsoft Maquette prototyping tool for mixed reality VR

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Maquette prototyping tool for mixed reality VR: Microsoft is working on a new way to prototype ideas in VR. Microsoft Maquette is a mixed reality tool for creating immersive prototypes using a PC VR headset. Read more: Microsoft Maquette Beta Home Release notes: Release Notes Microsoft Maquette Beta 120684
  10. Mixed Reality

Mixed Reality: How do I uninstal 'mixed reality' and any associated apps from my PC? I didn't ask for it, and don't want it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_entertainment/mixed-reality/934ba3dd-999b-485c-a0a7-abb531ca80da