Windows 10: Windows Movie Maker video problems....

Discus and support Windows Movie Maker video problems.... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Tried Windows Essentials again just now but wouldn't download.... Which link did you try? I've just tested the Internet Archive link I gave earlier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Arcadian, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

Windows Movie Maker video problems....

Which link did you try? I've just tested the Internet Archive link I gave earlier and downloaded the offline installer successfully.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161119...-download-now/

You must make sure you download the offline installer, that's the complete package. The web installer will not work, it's just a stub that looks for files on Microsoft's servers (that no longer exist, Microsoft have deleted them).

2. Arcadian Win User

Yes used offline installer but again it's saying "Unknown error ocurred Error Ox800c0006"....??

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    Yes, I did warn you about that. Have you actually looked at your Start menu yet? You should find that despite reporting a failed install you should have a working Movie Maker. That is the same error Kari reported last April. See the last line in his post...

Windows Essentials 2012 will reach end of support on January 10th 2017

EDIT: @Arcadian, I have just tested the offline installer on Fall Creators Update (1709) and on Anniversary Update (1607). There's a new wrinkle now, in the latest updated versions of Windows 10 you now have to run the offline installer twice before the install of Movie Maker is complete.

4. Arcadian Win User

Great !! I'm in at last....thanks a lot ! *Biggrin Really weird the whole process !

Different layout though but I assume it's the same in principle as before ?

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    What version of Movie Maker did you have before? This is version 2012, earlier versions did have different layouts. Yes, it's much the same to use as before, but it may not be able to read project files made in earlier versions.

The install process is weird because it is now unsupported software, Microsoft is under no obligation to make Windows 10 compatible with the installer. We're just lucky that it can still be made to run (sort of). I'm not sure for how much longer though, further cumulative updates may break the installer completely. Once installed though, Movie Maker is unlikely stop working with future Windows updates, its only the installer that seems to have problems.

6. Arcadian Win User
    Where would I find the version number ?

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    In version 2012 it's 'File > About Movie Maker'.

8. Arcadian Win User

Because Version 2011 is the original one on my Win 7 could I update it with this latest one ?

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Ah, that explains it. As far as I can make out, 2012 should be able to use project files created in 2011. Microsoft changed the project file format with version 2009. Wikipedia lists the version history.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...r#Windows_Live

10. Bree New Member
    Yes, and the offline installer is more likely to work properly on Win7. But I would wait a while until you sure any projects you made in 2011 can be opened and used in 2012. There are some other differences too, see the Wikipedia link for more on that.

This thread on the sister-site SevenForums may be of interest.

SevenForums | Windows 7: Want to upgrade Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 to 2012

11. Arcadian Win User
    As I haven't any old projects and whilst I'm getting started with it on Win 10, I'll have a go later on with Win 7.

It's really good to be back with WMM as I get completely confused with all the latest Video offerings and all their widghles and whidgets....

Thanks again Bree and everyone for all your help, it's really been appreciated *chuckle

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  12. Samuria Win User
    You really need to try the hitfilm express it's free and makes movie maker look like a toy many top games are edited with it and with so much video tutorials for it it's great with so many transitions and effects built in

Samuria, Dec 4, 2017
  13. Arcadian Win User

Thanks but no thanks life's far too short and complicated as it is.... ! *Wink

Arcadian, Dec 4, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Actually, I have made my life exceedingly complicated. I don't actually do any editing in Movie Maker any more. I use FFmpeg, an insanely complex but powerful command line utility with unix-like syntax. Even professionals are known to use it. Movie Maker is still however the easiest way I know to locate edit points down to an individual frame, which is all I use it for now. *Smile

15. davidhk Win User
    Win 10 Home version 1709, build 16299.98

P.S. The Offline Installer link you posted on Windows Essentials 2012 will reach end of support on January 10th 2017 , post #7 does not work anymore. It says it cannot be downloaded. I just tried it 10 minutes ago.

Windows Movie Maker video problems.... [​IMG]

davidhk, Dec 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Movie Maker video problems.... - Similar Threads - Movie Maker video

2. Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO: Hello, I bought Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO today, order number 6464181728. Unfortunately something was wrong and I could not download the program. I don't want to buy it anymore. Please refund me the money. Regards, H. Chung Mr.E-mail: *** Email address is removed for...
  3. Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO: Hello, I bought Movie Maker - Video Editor PRO today, order number 6464181728. Unfortunately something was wrong and I could not download the program. I don't want to buy it anymore. Please refund me the money. Regards, H. Chung Mr.E-mail: *** Email address is removed for...
  4. Windows Live Movie Maker - Import Video Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Live Movie Maker - Import Video Problem: Windows Live Movie Maker keeps telling me an Import Video is already started and that I cannot start a new one until the old one is stopped. I do not have any other Import Video underway. How can I correct this so that I can proceed to import video from my camcorder to my...
  5. Windows Live Movie Maker - Import Video Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Live Movie Maker - Import Video Problem: Windows Live Movie Maker keeps telling me an Import Video is already started and that I cannot start a new one until the old one is stopped. I do not have any other Import Video underway. How can I correct this so that I can proceed to import video from my camcorder to my...
  6. Windows Live Movie Maker - Import Video Problem

7. Movie Maker:

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Movie Maker:: For some reason all my pictures are showing up in a screwed up style where half the picture is vertical and the other half is horizontal. I don't know how I managed to do this. I don't make movies, just take pictures and can't figure out how to get rid of Movie Maker and get...
  8. Editing a video in movie maker

Editing a video in movie maker: Hi, I am trying to trim a video in the movie maker app, but when I cut the video to where I want and save it, it just saves the whole video again. How can I cut the video into the section I want and save only that portion and delete the rest?...
  9. Windows Video Editor! (Not Movie Maker)

Windows Video Editor! (Not Movie Maker): Whenever I go to open an mp4 file onto the video editor, it pops up with the following message: 'These files have properties that can't be read, so we couldn't add them: Frappe.mov - Copy.mp4.' If someone could assist me on how to fix this problem, that'd be great!...
  10. Video Update Driver for Movie Maker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video Update Driver for Movie Maker: I am using Movie Maker and it is running slow. The message that I am getting is to install a driver card or update one. What does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-update-driver-for-movie-maker/3d5e009c-0ff7-475c-aba4-26317c93a441