Windows 10: Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

Discus and support Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a possibility that the window of an app to be opened, which is open in another desktop, moves to the current desktop instead of changing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarvFre, Nov 27, 2019.

1. MarvFre Win User

Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

Is there a possibility that the window of an app to be opened, which is open in another desktop, moves to the current desktop instead of changing the desktop?

:)

MarvFre, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

How do I run multiple instances of the new Remote Desktop client in Windows 10?

According to the following statement.

However, UWP applications support multiple views, but every view is a single instance of that application, but the UWP Remote Desktop application does not support multiple views. This means you cannot run multiple instances of the UWP remote desktop application, because it is not possible, to run multiple instances of UWP applications.

You cannot send an argument like /allowMultiple to an Universal Windows Platform application at this time.

Although the the Stackoverflow answer goes on to indicate the following it does not apply to the UWP Remote Desktop application you are asking about. You can run multiple instances of the Win32 desktop variate of the Remote Desktop client (mstsc.exe) if you want.

Sources:

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and multiple program instances

I'm having an issue with the new Virtual Desktops in Windows 10. For example:

1. From Desktop 1, double click the file "test1.xlsx". This will open the file in a new instance of Excel (specifically 2010, in my case), on Desktop 1.
    2. From Desktop 2, double click the file "test2.xlsx". This will change the desktop to Desktop 1 and open the file in the same instance of Excel as from step 1.

I've found this to also be true with Notepad++, so my guess is that this behavior occurs with any program that opens multiple files in a single instance. However, these are the two programs I generally use in this way.

I've found a number of ways to disable DDE for Excel, but this isn't what I want to do. If I open a second file from a desktop that already contains an instance of the program that should open it, I want to use that instance.

I've found manual ways of opening a second instance, moving it to the correct desktop, and then opening the file in that instance. However, the process is slightly different for each program and overall is, at best, clunky. Not to mention that now a third file will open in the most recently used instance, and not necessarily the correct one, requiring the whole process to start over again.

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Windows 10: Have single instance of application across multiple desktops

I am new to the multiple desktops, and I am trying to allow a single instance of a program to show up in all of my desktops.

I would like to have programs such as Spotify, Outlook, and Skype open on all desktops, but have the same instance of that program showing on each one. I want them to be treated as "global" and show the same instance on all desktops and not be specific to any one desktop.

E.g: If I start Spotify on "Desktop 1"; I want it so I can still access the window and change the songs on "Desktop 2" without it switching back to "Desktop 1".

Is that possible? If it is, how do I get this to happen?

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps) - Similar Threads - Multiple Desktop Auto

2. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  3. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  4. switching to an app with multiple instances using winkey+1..9 shows a blank app preview.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching to an app with multiple instances using winkey+1..9 shows a blank app preview.: Hello, I use the Winkey + 1..9 shortcuts to switch to my browser when I am doing some work. But sometimes when I have multiple instances of my browser it shows a blank app preview and does not switch to the app itself. This also happens in any application in my taskbar that...
  5. switching to an app with multiple instances using winkey+1..9 shows a blank app preview.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    switching to an app with multiple instances using winkey+1..9 shows a blank app preview.: Hello, I use the Winkey + 1..9 shortcuts to switch to my browser when I am doing some work. But sometimes when I have multiple instances of my browser it shows a blank app preview and does not switch to the app itself. This also happens in any application in my taskbar that...
  6. Single Instance of Support

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Single Instance of Support: I am trying to buy a single instance of support but the website says "Tax calculation was unsuccessful, Please try again later." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/single-instance-of-support/9548374c-abf7-4c71-b2b0-b07c85bb7e2a
  7. Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.?: Suddenly, I have three of almost everything! I am not using OneDrive, and each instance points to the same location, so nothing seems to have been copied - incidentally, I am out of drive space but not sure if that's related or not....
  8. Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app: Situation Excel files open in multiple desktops desktop 1 and 2 1 file is closed on desktop 2 System jumps to desktop 1 It's pretty annoying...
  9. Multiple Instances of Single Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple Instances of Single Printer: I recently added my printers to a new computer running Windows 10. For some reason each one is showing multiple instances of the drivers in the various settings. Trying to figure out why and how to get rid of the extra versions that are not needed. [ATTACH]...
  10. Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances

in Windows 10 Support
    Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances: Hi there Not sure if this is a real problem or merely a niggle -- I LIKE the idea of Virtual desktops but IMO shouldn't each desktop run an application unaware that another instance might be running on another desktop. The OS itself can keep track of shared storage areas...