Windows 10: Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

Discus and support Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BrennanS&T, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I try to open a file for that same application on another desktop. For instance, having one excel spreadsheet open on "Desktop 2" then trying to open an excel file on "Desktop 1" sends me and the open file over to "Desktop 2." This doesn't happen if the application is already open on both, but it'd be nice to not have it switch regardless.In the grand scheme of things, this only takes a few seconds to reorganize the files after they open, but it

:)

BrennanS&T, Nov 5, 2021
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Nov 5, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

When you say, “Windows Multiple Desktop” are you referring to the Desktops in Task View?

If you are referring to the Desktops in the Task View, then you can move windows between two desktops by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + Tab to open
      Task View (Alternatively, you can click on the Task View icon on the
      Taskbar).
    2. Now, click on New Desktop to create a
      Desktop.
    3. Hold the left mouse button on any window and click drag the window and drop it to the newly created Desktop. (Alternatively, you can also right click on any window, click on
      Move to and select the Desktop)
    4. To switch between Desktops, you can use the shortcut
      Ctrl + Windows Logo + Left/Right arrow keys.

However, if you need to access applications between two different computers. You can use the Remote Desktop connection to access another computer using one computer and work on the applications. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

How to use Remote Desktop

Additional information:
    Manage virtual desktop like a pro in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 5, 2021
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

Windows 10 switching desktops (bug)

Hi Preet,

To better assist you, we need to ask a few questions:

• Are you still experiencing any errors when switching between desktops?
    • Were there any changes made before experiencing this issue?
    • Does the same issue happen when you use a different computer?

For information regarding multiple desktops in Windows 10, you can refer to the article on this

link

Looking forward to your reply so we can find the best solution for you.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Nov 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

1. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops - Similar Threads - Multiple Desktops Automatically

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?: how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-keyboard-shortcut-to-switch-between/e770a10a-8228-44ae-b180-a4dd2c57a03c
  4. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?: how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-keyboard-shortcut-to-switch-between/e770a10a-8228-44ae-b180-a4dd2c57a03c
  5. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops: Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I try to open a file for that same application on another desktop. For instance, having one excel spreadsheet open on "Desktop...
  7. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops: Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I try to open a file for that same application on another desktop. For instance, having one excel spreadsheet open on "Desktop...
  8. Switch laptops between desktops?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch laptops between desktops?: With Windows 10 there is the possibility to switch between "desktops". So not different monitors, but virtual desktops to work structured. Now I have the problem that if I start an application in Desktop 1 (e.g. Discord) and then swap to Desktop 2 before Discord has fully...
  9. Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop

Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop: Hi, I have to manually change modes between Tablet and Desktop, even though the settings are to "switch and don't ask". Nothing happens when I plug in the dock, other than the usual USB sounds for devices connecting. Is there some other setting I have missed?...
  10. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...