Windows 10: Windows multitasking needs a serious overhaul

Discus and support Windows multitasking needs a serious overhaul in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It may have always been this way, but I really don’t recall previous versions of Windows becoming completely unusable during update downloads, virus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vram, Nov 21, 2017.

1. vram Win User

Windows multitasking needs a serious overhaul

It may have always been this way, but I really don’t recall previous versions of Windows becoming completely unusable during update downloads, virus definition updates or whatever background process decides to churn the hard drive at 99% for how ever much time it thinks it should have....

I understand that SSD’s generally avoid this issue because they’re able to access the data they need at a faster rate, but it’s inexcusable that performance using a traditional HDD has gotten this bad. No reason a modern PC with a fresh, unbloated installation of Windows churns the disk for 3-5min on a cold boot. Vista wasn’t this bad if your PC had at least 4GB of RAM.

Until SSDs price per GB reaches sanity and can fully displace a traditional HDD, I don’t think it’s wise to not optimize for them.

:)

2. Cferri Win User

Windows Installer Needs an Overhaul!

Windows installer is an untidy beast. When installing applications and updates, it sprinkles the hard discs with folders and files that may or may not be required in the future. For those of us who like to keep tidy, uncluttered systems, this presents
    problems - which files can be removed to keep the OS partition clean and more easily backed up, but not compromise future installs?

The installer saves .msi files in unsafe locations, eg. the TEMP folder, and if these files are removed, uninstalling, repairing or upgrading software becomes impossible without resorting to MrFixit Uninstaller. The MrFixit tool is useful for individual
    uninstalls, but is impractical for general use. It is unwieldy because it takes a long time to run and it has to be restarted after each problem has been sorted, which is not good when several programs or modules have to be removed.

The answer to the missing .msi files seems obvious to me. The installer should have a secure location within Windows to save installer files that are required for application maintenance so that they are available until such time as the application is removed
    or upgraded, at which time, the .msi file can safely be deleted. Files not required for future use should be put in the TEMP folder so they can be deleted during routine clear up. Saving the installer files in a single secure location would make installing
    updates a simple process instead of the chore it frequently is these days. It would also make cleaning up Windows less of a lottery.

Cferri, Nov 21, 2017
  3. The Facebook app

The Facebook app is broken. Cannot set like. Can't respond to pokes. Can't message unless I install that terrible unsecured messenger app I removed. This app went from 70% ok to 40%. The Windows Phone app needs a serious overhaul.

ChristopherMoor, Nov 21, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Have you run Diagnostics on your HDD? Download the ISO image for Seatools and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn or to USB Flash with Seaflash. All in my signature. Boot off of the newly create media and run Long Test. This will take a while, if it fails the HDD needs to be replaced,
    Also, check your internet speed at Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test If it is slower then the advertized speed you are paying for, have the ISP test the lines.

spunk, Nov 21, 2017
  5. vram Win User
    My HDD is fine and I’ve witnessed this behavior on more than one PC. Laptops are even worse.

6. FerchogtX Win User
    Telemetry is always the culprit in this cases, try disabling the Customer Experiences and Telemetry service, that should get your disk back to normal.

FerchogtX, Nov 21, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    I’ll give that a try when back at my pc but that’s not going to solve the underlying problem: The OS needs to be tweaked to detect indications of it being used and therefore not hog 100% of the I/O.

8. swarfega Win User

From my personal observations, I would agree that 10 is not too optimised for hard drives.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows multitasking needs a serious overhaul - Similar Threads - multitasking needs serious

2. Need a serious help. ASAP.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need a serious help. ASAP.: My windows 10 is currently experiencing various errors please this is serious and i have a project that i've been working on postponedi have a driver issues in my pc by the time my uncle gave it to me. it's intel core i5 4460, GT 730 and has 5gb of ram 4gb and 1 gb sticks...
  3. multitasking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multitasking: I have just changed desktops and transferred all programs and data, outlook, plus windows 10 office etc. I used multitasking a lot, including having multiple attachments open at the same time. This facility has disappeared. What do I have to do to recover this useful...
  4. I seriously need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I seriously need help: OK, so today I found that there was a random .txt file on my desktop. When i opened it, it showed [1013/103251.495:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3) I was curious and searched it up, turns out that it could be...
  5. NEED SERIOUS HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NEED SERIOUS HELP: [ATTACH] i was pressing delete button continuously while in the desktop and then suddenly i after sometime I saw that the "this pc" icon is gone with some other icons and shortcuts. I pressed ctrl+z multiple times and the icons and shortcuts came back but "this pc" didnt...
  6. multitasking

in Windows 10 Customization
    multitasking: Hello, When I try multitasking most often with applications such as: File explorer, google chrome and Notepad ++ the computer screen starts to blink .. the computer becomes useless at the moment ... please help me...
  7. Multitasking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multitasking: Is there a way to keep side by side windows active at the same time?[ATTACH] like in this photo, one window is active but other is paused. when i see ads the timer of it is paused and when i click window it starts. i hope you understand my question. how to keep both windows...
  8. Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.: A Senior MS Tech I was working with said he wanted to reinstall windows 10 version 1809 because after 4 MS updates, that is after the 4th MS update, MS Edge quits working and will not start. This is the fourth tech and the 2nd senior tech I have had to work with. The...
  9. Multitasking

Multitasking: Device: Lenovo ideacentre AIO 510S All-in-one Touchscreen PC Manufacturer part no: F0C3001RUK This is actually more about the mouse [2.4G wireless ZTM600 mouse, silver] than anything. The scroll bar on this mouse is like a touchpad and its a tiny bit problematic. On my...
  10. Multitasking windows

Multitasking windows: I was able to split windows 2 or 3 days ago and then there was updates done and I have not been able to since. All the settings in multitasking are turned on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multitasking-windows/51518be3-2397-4063-82b9-da83198c38bd