Windows 10: Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake

Discus and support Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; W10 will stay awake when something is running. But goes to sleep within minutes when idle. Laptop is plugged in. I have everything I can think of set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ruggb, Feb 18, 2017.

1. ruggb Win User

Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake

W10 will stay awake when something is running. But goes to sleep within minutes when idle. Laptop is plugged in.
    I have everything I can think of set to make it stay awake. High performance profile, no sleep ever, no hybrid sleep, no hibernate, no drive off (SSD), Display off in 15 min.
    When on battery, it is set to sleep in 5 min. Apparently it thinks it is not plugged in, but why?? It is and battery is at 99%, not charging.

:)

ruggb, Feb 18, 2017

2. How to keep computer awake after waking from a scheduled job.

I put my Windows 10 PC to sleep each night before going to bed and need it to automatically wake up at 8:00 AM each morning and
    stay awake until I put it to sleep at night. I have a scheduled job that dutifully wakes the PC every morning, but the problem is that it puts itself back to sleep within a few minutes. If I move the mouse during the few minutes it's awake
    it stays awake all day with no problem. If I wake the computer with the keyboard it stays awake all day.

This process worked fine in Windows 7. Any suggestions?

RickBell_CA, Feb 18, 2017
  3. Screen saver does not work once logged in (Desktop)

The test/preview of the screen saver immediately kicks in the screen saver in demo mode, ignoring any devices that tell the system to stay awake. When the screen saver is going to kick in normally, it has to check and see if anything is forcing the system
    to stay awake. So: those are completely different concepts, sadly. That might be the confusion here. Does removing the joystick and/or updating the drivers for the one that's making the system stay awake help?

zachd [MSFT], Feb 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there are several extensive threads on this. Please feel free to search the forum and use it as a resource.

example: I searched the forum for
    sleep two minutes

Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake [​IMG]

Refining the search may give more results- I suggest you try
    Solved sleep minutes
    for example.

If you find no solution, please post back listing what you've tried. Good luck

dalchina, Feb 18, 2017
  5. Win10Pro Win User
    How did it come about? Are you having this problem from the very beginning or after an update or upgrade?
    Is it a laptop or a desktop (as stated in your system specs)?

Win10Pro, Feb 18, 2017
  6. ruggb Win User
    it is a laptop. I think it just started, but since I don't use it all the time I really don't know what stated it - . I recently had to reimage the drive and worked hard to get it where I wanted it. So a lot changed and updated. I read something about an xHCI USB3 controller and it may have started after I updated that. But I don't know what to do with the xHCI driver. I guess I could uninstall it and see what happens.

ruggb, Feb 19, 2017
  7. Win10Pro Win User
    Thank you for the explanation.

Uninstalling the driver to see what happens is a good idea, but before you do that try something as simple as opening your BIOS / UEFI settings and look for power settings, energy saving or something similar.

Then, could you open your Device Manager and see if, by chance, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting (for the batteries, display adapters, keyboards, mice and Universal Serial Bus controllers) hasn't been changed?

Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake [​IMG]

Win10Pro, Feb 19, 2017
  8. ruggb Win User

I did that once b4, but this time thru the network adapter was allowed and all the USB devices were also.
    HOWEVER, b4 doing anything this AM, last night it mysteriously stayed on without any changes.
    I love troubleshooting W10.

ruggb, Feb 19, 2017
  9. Win10Pro Win User
    You mean: the "Allow..." boxes were checked? How strange. I even don't know how to do it myself, even if I had to.

Let's hope, for good.

Then there are two of us *Wink

Win10Pro, Feb 19, 2017
  10. ruggb Win User
    what is "stranger" is that you just told me how to do it -then said "I even don't know how to do it myself" ?????????????????
    I'm not following that, BUT
    It seems like there is a little double talk about that setting on the MS site for the network adapter. If it is checked W puts the network adapter to sleep. If it is not checked W shuts it down and must reinitialize it. It isn't good to not have it checked.

For the USB devices, it says it will NOT shut them down if it is not checked and will put it to sleep if checked.

Anyway, it is still going to sleep. I have a narcoleptic computer.

ruggb, Feb 19, 2017
  11. Win10Pro Win User
    Just a little linguistic misunderstanding - I wanted to say that I don't know how to mark / select an empty box before "Allow the computer to turn off..." if I wanted to.

Win10Pro, Feb 19, 2017
  12. ruggb Win User
    maybe you are thinking of the grayed out ones, which can't be selected.

ruggb, Feb 19, 2017
  13. Win10Pro Win User

Exactly !

Win10Pro, Feb 19, 2017
  14. ruggb Win User
    I guess it depends on the driver. Sometimes when I select or unselect one the other one becomes selectable.

ruggb, Feb 19, 2017
  15. Win10Pro Win User
    Really sorry, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the drivers. I hope somebody else on this forum will tell you what to do next. I'll be watching this thread so that I can learn something new from somebody more experienced. Good luck.

Win10Pro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake - Similar Threads - must very tired

2. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  3. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  4. Wifi refuses to stay working!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi refuses to stay working!: tl:dr - wifi option missing, replaced chip, reinstalled windows, nothing worked (should def read the whole thing tho) ok so first off, i know the title throws you off a little so let me full explain, my m.2 wifi/bluetooth module in my prebuilt was acting weird, my assumption...
  5. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings: This has been an on and off problem with me for quite sometime, basically the problem is that randomly at times my monitors will just not go to sleep and stay awake - sometimes restarting the system works as a quick fix, sometimes it doesn't. I have manually went through the...
  6. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings: This has been an on and off problem with me for quite sometime, basically the problem is that randomly at times my monitors will just not go to sleep and stay awake - sometimes restarting the system works as a quick fix, sometimes it doesn't. I have manually went through the...
  7. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
  8. Problem getting W10 pro to stay awake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem getting W10 pro to stay awake: I have a Compaq CQ71 that has Windows 10 Pro on it and it keeps going into sleep if left alone, even though the power settings are set to stay awake on drive permanently when plugged in and screen is set for 2hrs inactivity before shutting down. Is there a fix available for...
  9. Desktop stay awake during backup

Desktop stay awake during backup: Hi. I look after a number of PC's for my flying club and I back them up on a weekly basis during the night. Two desktops have backup drives in them which enables local backup but two laptops don't and as a consequence, I back them up to the desktop backup drives over WiFi....
  10. Windows 10 can't stay awake

Windows 10 can't stay awake: I just upgraded to Windows 10. The jury is still out if I like it better than Windows 7, but I think so. One big problem is nothing I've done will adjust the power setting to keep my laptop from going to sleep. I notice that there is not an option for "dim the screen" I doubt...