Windows 10: Windows needs RAID (software) file systems

Discus and support Windows needs RAID (software) file systems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks I'm on a Linux system copying approx 90 GB Windows 10 Virtual machine to a RAID 0 HDD (not SSD) array --software RAID using mdadm. Average... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows needs RAID (software) file systems

Hi folks
    I'm on a Linux system copying approx 90 GB Windows 10 Virtual machine to a RAID 0 HDD (not SSD) array --software RAID using mdadm.

Average speed is around 340 Mib/s -- total time around 3.5 mins

Can't get anything like those sorts of speeds on identical hardware using same HDD's on Windows with standard Windows file systems.

Windows needs RAID (software) file systems [​IMG]

Windows needs RAID (software) file systems [​IMG]

C'mon Ms give us some sort of modern fast file systems with decent software RAID options -- NTFS is a joke for copying large amounts of data !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 10, 2019
  2. georgetok Win User

Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Thank you so much.

Dell system I am buying as a back has Xeon E5645 2.2 GHz & 12 GB ECC RAM

They don't offer Xeon W3680 that you suggested

So would that be good enough ?

Thanks

georgetok, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Steevo Win User
    Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Get the six core CPU's I listed, at 3.3Ghz per core they will more than handle any calculations you throw at them for years to come, and with matching RAM in tri channel you will have a very strong setup.

My only other suggestion is a full RAID card like the one I listed with SSD's (in RAID 1)for the OS and programs, and then a RAID 5 array for backup and any large files on the board with a offsite final backup

Steevo, Jul 10, 2019
  4. DerSlo Win User

Windows software RAID moved into a new system

Hello fellow Windows extraordinaire,

I have 4, 4TB WD Red drives that I pulled from a NAS. I placed them into my system and have them set in a software RAID 5 through Windows. I have messed up some of the boot files on the SSD and it seems like the only option I have is to reinstall Windows
    (I have tried literally everything!). However, before I do so would it be possible to boot off another SSD from the same system and plug the RAID drives in and have Windows recognize the RAID volume and all of its contents?

The internet seems to be a mix of opinions. I do not have any spare drives to create a RAID array and test this out myself so hopefully I can find someone who has run this experiment or is willing to run this experiment, for science of course.

I know that I need to back up my RAID volume and the RAID itself is not a backup. I will be backing it up from now on.

Thank you so much for your help!

DerSlo, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows needs RAID (software) file systems - Similar Threads - needs RAID software

2. Need zip file for raid intel storage driver.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need zip file for raid intel storage driver.: Hey i am trying to install windows 11 and it says device driver missing. I dont have other lap rn so i cant install and extract exe file. So can please anyone send me extract files or zip. I have 12 gen and using windows 11. Thankyou....
  3. Need zip file for raid intel storage driver.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need zip file for raid intel storage driver.: Hey i am trying to install windows 11 and it says device driver missing. I dont have other lap rn so i cant install and extract exe file. So can please anyone send me extract files or zip. I have 12 gen and using windows 11. Thankyou....
  4. Windows software raid 0 issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows software raid 0 issue: My raid 0 is missing, when reconnecting the drives, I can see them both in the Disk Management as foreign disks, however when I click on import, I get 2 options both showing " import disk group disk 1 of 1, if I click ok I get a warning that a volume is missing, so I cancel....
  5. Windows software raid 0 issue

Windows software raid 0 issue: My raid 0 is missing, when reconnecting the drives, I can see them both in the Disk Management as foreign disks, however when I click on import, I get 2 options both showing " import disk group disk 1 of 1, if I click ok I get a warning that a volume is missing, so I cancel....
  6. File system analysis software?

File system analysis software?: Are there any softwares that can analyze every file and folder in 2 main folders to determine that their contents are identical, and if not determine the exact difference? For example if I were trying to backup a folder, but want to confirm if anything was even changed since...
  7. Looking for RAID system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Looking for RAID system: I was thinking about a RAID system for my computer. After all the issues I have had lately, I thought maybe a way to backup everything might not be a bad idea. Any suggestions? Internal or external? 171479
  8. Problem with software RAID

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with software RAID: I have four 4TB drives I created a software RAID 5 on. When accessing the volume, specifically writing to it, my PC becomes noticeably less stable; as in, a video's audio stream stopping for a few milliseconds like when playing a really high-bitrate file from a hard drive...
  9. Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID: Hello, I have an SSD in my computer as well as a RAID 5 array that was set up in Windows. I booted from another SSD with Windows on it and somehow screwed up the boot files on the main SSD. I think the best thing to do would be reinstalling Windows on the corrupted bootable...
  10. Software Vs Hardware RAID

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Software Vs Hardware RAID: Hi there Unless you NEED more HDD ports it really is NOT worth buying any consumer grade RAID controller card - these days they are far slower than by doing it with software - Windows Storage spaces is extremely good (and you can use different size HDD's for striping /...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when copy large files do raid 1 hdd win 10 bluescreen