Windows 10: Windows network drive - cryptic file names

Discus and support Windows network drive - cryptic file names in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello there, I'm currently working on a backup script for some of my linux server which will be uploaded to a hetzner storage box via rsync. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/0x22null, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Windows network drive - cryptic file names

Hello there,

I'm currently working on a backup script for some of my linux server which will be uploaded to a hetzner storage box via rsync.

The storage box is mounted as a network drive on my windows explorer and I just noticed that the file names are completely off and I can't figure out why.

https://i.imgur.com/wLZvJcq.png

Left side is WinSCP, showing the names correctly, right side is windows explorer/network drive in the same directory.

Is there a way for me to fix this?

Thanks

submitted by /u/0x22null
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/0x22null, Dec 14, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 14, 2020
  3. How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Dec 14, 2020
  4. Windows network drive - cryptic file names

Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows network drive - cryptic file names

1. Windows network drive - cryptic file names - Similar Threads - network drive cryptic

2. Battling the Cryptic 0x80070422 Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Battling the Cryptic 0x80070422 Error: I extend this missive to the digital conjurers among you, hoping it reaches you amidst the glow of binary incantations. Alas, my Windows update quest has encountered a formidable adversary—the enigmatic Error Code 0x80070422. I beseech the wizards of this community to unravel...
  3. How to fix File explorer not showing correct Network Drive names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix File explorer not showing correct Network Drive names?: We have only one user encountering this issue. We have mapped the drive correctly using the correct name, but it shows up in file explorer missing one letter. Instead of saying Y: Flows it says Y: lows. Really odd issue. Everything is up to date. Re-Mapping the drive still...
  4. How to fix File explorer not showing correct Network Drive names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix File explorer not showing correct Network Drive names?: We have only one user encountering this issue. We have mapped the drive correctly using the correct name, but it shows up in file explorer missing one letter. Instead of saying Y: Flows it says Y: lows. Really odd issue. Everything is up to date. Re-Mapping the drive still...
  5. How to fix File explorer not showing correct Network Drive names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. file name too long for mapping a network drive error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file name too long for mapping a network drive error: When ever i am trying to map a network drive it is showing file name of the path is too long. reduce the characters and try again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long-for-mapping-a-network-drive/85a46a1b-2acc-4300-a110-4ad7526a7c31
  7. file name too long for mapping a network drive error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file name too long for mapping a network drive error: When ever i am trying to map a network drive it is showing file name of the path is too long. reduce the characters and try again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long-for-mapping-a-network-drive/85a46a1b-2acc-4300-a110-4ad7526a7c31
  8. file name too long for mapping a network drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available"

Can't access mapped network drive by name - "The specified network name is no longer available": Hello, recently I'm having a hard time accessing a network mapped drive by name. Access by IP works just fine, by name rarely works, always gives us a error "The specified network name is no longer available". I've managed to track down when it all started going wrong, and...
  10. Network Drives not recognised by drive name

Network Drives not recognised by drive name: I have a home network with two network drives, and a few PCs/laptops. A few days ago maybe 22 December 2019, my Dell Windows 10 PC stopped recognising the networked drives. My old XP machine has no problem. With my Win10 PC, I can connect the drives through the file...