Windows 10: Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop

Discus and support Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello there, I was visiting my parents home and brought my desktop's SSD with me to plug on my laptop with a USB 3 to SATA adapter in case i need any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/celicaraptor, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop

Hello there, I was visiting my parents home and brought my desktop's SSD with me to plug on my laptop with a USB 3 to SATA adapter in case i need any files.It was plugged in and everything was working.I returned to my home and plugged my SSD back to my desktop and now it doesn't boot.

At first it was stuck on automatic repair loop but after trying some commands i don't remember which it now says this https://imgur.com/Nq5hon2

I ran the bcdboot /fixmbr / /fixboot / /rebuildbc commans with no luck.Chkdsk shows no errors https://imgur.com/Fdue5qY

I can access my windows installation through ubuntu which i have on a 2nd partition on my SSD,so my SSD runs fine.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/celicaraptor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/celicaraptor, Jan 6, 2020
  2. JonOff Win User

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Jan 6, 2020
  3. New copy of Windows 10 on external SSD for a different laptop

Hello, LucFelando this is sumit

you can install the windows on your external ssd and you can again use that same laptop

here are the steps:-

1. First Download the windows 10 latest iso from microsoft's official website

2. Make a bootable windows 10 device, you can see this link if you need-

How To Create Windows 10 Bootable USB/Pendrive

techviral.net/create-windows-10-bootable-usb/

3.Insert the external ssd and bootable device on your laptop

4. Open the boot menu by pressing either F2,F8,F10 or you can check on internet about how to open boot menu by searching though your laptop model no.

5. Make the boot priority to external SSD by scrolling up and down, or again you can check over internet by searching by model no of your device.

6. Now Install the windows on your SSD- by following the instructions

7. Remove the bootable device after installation

8. Here you go and have successfully installed the windows.

SumitChoudhary1, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop

SSD external drive

My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label

PhilipLaw3, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop

1. Windows no longer boots after using my SSD as an external SSD with my laptop - Similar Threads - longer boots using

2. Windows cluttering my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cluttering my external SSD.: I have a 2TB external SSD which i use to share data between my different computers which also include Linux and MacOS based systems.But my Windows 10 system started horribly cluttering this Disk without me ever opting into any sort of data loss prevention.About 640GB of...
  3. SSD no longer boots up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD no longer boots up: I had something weird happen. I was running a Windows 10 laptop with a one-month-old SSD. It was running excellently. I later booted from a portable Windows 11 OS on a flash drive. The Windows 11 OS displayed that there was a disk error on my SSD and automatically went to fix...
  4. SSD no longer boots up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD no longer boots up: I had something weird happen. I was running a Windows 10 laptop with a one-month-old SSD. It was running excellently. I later booted from a portable Windows 11 OS on a flash drive. The Windows 11 OS displayed that there was a disk error on my SSD and automatically went to fix...
  5. SSD no longer boots up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. SSD no longer a boot device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD no longer a boot device: Yesterday my PC was working fine but I recieved a pop up to restart my device to repair the disk, but I could restart later and I could still do anything I wanted on the computer. On restart there was a long period repairing files and now my PC will only boot to my old HDD...
  7. Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD: Windows Version 20H2 I recently purchased an external SSD from Samsung and used their migration tool to copy all my files into it. Then I learned that I can't boot Windows from an external drive so I formatted the external SSD and started using it. But, apparently formatting...
  8. My Cloned SSD is no longer booting.

My Cloned SSD is no longer booting.: win10 pro ver 2004bld 19041.264 Holla Hombres, I've cloned and been using a Crucial 1T SSD for a few days. It replaces a 500G Seagate that was doing just fine but couldn't resist the upgrade. And yes it was awesome... for a while. I used Macrium to clone and it left half the...
  9. my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my external SSD.: i have an alienware 15r2 laptop and i am using an SSD in the usb 3.0 slot. when i put my computer to sleep last night it stopped reading the drive and ive done everything i possibly can to try and get the computer to read it. i have been completely unsuccessful with multiple...
  10. Dual Boot on external SSD?

Dual Boot on external SSD?: Hi guys, I'm currently running Windows 7 (Bootcamp, MBP 2012) and planning to buy a new MSI laptop running Win 10. I would like to ask if it's possible to clone my old Windows 7 to an external SSD and run it as a Dual Boot on the new laptop? I'm working in music...