Windows 10: Windows not accepting product key

Discus and support Windows not accepting product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I seem to be having a problem activating windows 10 on my HP laptop. I bought the laptop a few years ago with windows 8.1 and upgraded it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EllieGF1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. EllieGF1 Win User

Windows not accepting product key

Hello, I seem to be having a problem activating windows 10 on my HP laptop. I bought the laptop a few years ago with windows 8.1 and upgraded it to windows 10 as soon as I got it out of the box. Everything seemed to be ok but the last 12 months or so I keep getting a message on the bottom right corner of my screen to activate windows. On average it happens maybe once every couple of months and I'm not sure if its windows updates that has something to do with why it keeps asking me to do this. So I used a software package called produkey-x64 to find my product key and so I use this to activate it and sometimes It says its not recognised but eventually after a few attempts it accepts it and all is well. However, it's happening again and I have entered the same key a good half dozen times and its just not having it! Does anyone know why it keeps happening and how to fix this?

:)

EllieGF1, Nov 22, 2018

2. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

I did not realise I had been at all vague, my apologies.

Unfortunately my neighbour now has his laptop back as I got nowhere. I have suggested he wait until the windows 10 upgrade system makes it available through windows update (it is in the queue).

As stated, I have tried running from the media created by the media creation tool to a USB (this is what I used to successfully upgrade my laptop and surface Pro). I have also run the media creation tool and opted for it to upgrade directly rather than save the files.

The operating system is Win7 Home premium OEM version. The key is valid and I re-validated it to be sure with the MS online actvation system. The laptop is 64-bit.

On each occasion it goes through the initial install steps and then gets to the screen where it asks for the product key.

On this screen there is no skip option and as the product key is not accepted, the only option is to cancel the install.

For some reason the upgrade seems to be taking a different path on this machine and does not give the skip option.

Regards
    Mike

mikepaterson, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Wndows 10 does not accept product key

I got that Hans, but if this steps are taken:

• create the install media
    • boot from install media
    • format the drive
    • begin the install
    • skip the key (since it does not accept the w8.1 key)
    • finish install
    Then what happens? Am I just SOL? Do I have to pay for Windows AGAIN? There has got to be a way to call MS and "convert" a key, or get a replacement one...

eduardocesconetto, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Windows not accepting product key

Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Windows not accepting product key

1. Windows not accepting product key - Similar Threads - accepting product key

2. Windows 10 Product Key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Product Key not accepted: We have a client using a Windows 10 Surface, purchased some years ago.The windows installation is asking for its activation key, which is not currently known, we have tried the following:CMD: wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey -> This gives a key...
  3. Windows 10 Product Key not accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Product Key not accepted: We have a client using a Windows 10 Surface, purchased some years ago.The windows installation is asking for its activation key, which is not currently known, we have tried the following:CMD: wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey -> This gives a key...
  4. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  5. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  6. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. windows 10 will not accept product key

windows 10 will not accept product key: I purchased windows 10 for a computer that I had owned. I replaced the computer and reloaded windows 10 into the new computer. Windows 10 will not accept the product key that came with the software...
  8. Activation/ product key not accepted

Activation/ product key not accepted: Hi: I checked out Win 10 PRO using a place holder key but now I am not able to roll it back to my OEM Win 10 HOME version of windows. I tried some steps like updating the registry to HOME from PRO and then mounting and running the ISO for WIN 10 but it doesn't work. It...
  9. Product key never accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key never accepted: I am a lecturer at a university, and some years ago, I purchased a Surface with the intention of using it in class. At the time, I was never able to get your corporation to accept the product key, and I tried every so often. Of course, Microsoft help at the time was useless,...
  10. Product key not accepted (duplicataion)

Product key not accepted (duplicataion): I have just restored a saved version of a VM Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. It had a digital entitlement but the restored machine required activation. I chose what I thought was the Product Key of the Win 7 machine prior to the upgrade but it was rejected. I now realise...