Windows 10: Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop

Discus and support Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I bought this laptop 8 years ago with a legal Windows 7 key. When Windows 10 came around I accepted the upgrade and everything has been just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JeroenTavernier, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop

Hi.

I bought this laptop 8 years ago with a legal Windows 7 key. When Windows 10 came around I accepted the upgrade and everything has been just fine. In all these 8 years I never formatted and reinstalled windows, but seeing this laptop deserves better for lasting so long, I did a format and reinstalled just now.

Due to this being a laptop with already a windows installed, there is no such thing as a product key. Before the format I looked into that and it told me to link my microsoft account to my digital license, which I did. I went to buy a USB drive to use for the install and downloaded the latest ISO of windows 10. I finished the format and reinstalled windows 10, but now it says my Windows 10 has not been activated.

"Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213"

The same place that told me to link my account to my digital license told me step 3:

Once you confirm that you’re an administrator and using your Microsoft account, go back to the Activation page, select Add an account, enter your Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in.

But in the activation page, there is no "add an account" button to then sign in with.

When I went to look into my microsoft account just now, I see my laptop showing up twice under "devices". The same laptop, but one is the one before format, and the other one is this current reinstall.

I've tried the whole online help, hell I even waited for a long time on skype to get a hold of a real person, but for some reason that phone call was ended without ever getting to speak to someone.

Please advice.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

:)

JeroenTavernier, Jul 18, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jul 18, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

4. Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop

No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop

1. Windows not activating after clean re-install on laptop - Similar Threads - activating clean install

2. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  3. Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation: I'm upgrading a friend's laptops (yes a Celeron!!! & a 2nd Gen i5, lucky me) from HDD to SSD, increasing memory and reinstalling Win10 using a W10 USB drive that I'd done a year ago using MS MCT. So my first question is During the installation process I presume I skip the...
  4. Clean Re-Install

Clean Re-Install: We are updating our computers and wish to sell the old one. Before we sell them I want to use UBCD to completely overwrite the hard drive to destroy all information. How do I then re-install windows 10 without a CD?...
  5. BSOD after clean re-install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after clean re-install: So I installed an SSD hard drive on my laptop a few months ago and have been running into a BSOD issue ever since. The error code I get on the BSOD is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I have hopefully uploaded the info that will resolve this problem Here is the OneDrive link to...
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  7. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  8. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  9. after clean re-installation of windows..

in Windows 10 Support
    after clean re-installation of windows..: After clean re-installation of windows. is AV and internet security the first thing I should install before connecting to the internet? 90660
  10. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...