Windows 10: Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled

Discus and support Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; On Windows 10 Pro, I noticed that Windows doesn't ask for password after the laptop goes to sleep or the lid is closed *unless* the account has Windows... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by AshokP_, Jan 4, 2020.

1. AshokP_ Win User

Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled

On Windows 10 Pro, I noticed that Windows doesn't ask for password after the laptop goes to sleep or the lid is closed *unless* the account has Windows Hello set up for the account. Is there a way to change this behavior? I already changed the policy in the Local Group Policy Editor to prompt for password after sleep/hibernate, but this doesn't seem to have an effect without Windows Hello enabled.

:)

AshokP_, Jan 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hi,

The issue might occur due to power components corrupted or missing or the power settings enabled on the computer.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

Method 1: Run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if any power components have changed, corrupted or missing from the system.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting
      and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: If the troubleshooter did not detect any corrupted or missing power components, check if the sleep settings are enabled properly on the computer.

• Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open
      Run command
      window on the desktop.
    • Type powercfg.cpl in the command box and press
      Enter
      key on the keyboard to open Power settings window on the computer.
    • Select Choose what closing the lid does from the left side panel of the window.
    • Under When I close the lid option, choose Do Nothing and click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of laptop going to sleep on connecting to external monitor and closing the lid in the same post for further assistance. Your
    reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled

1. Windows not asking for authentication from sleep/lid close unless Windows Hello is enabled - Similar Threads - asking authentication sleep

2. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  3. Windows alway ask me to enable Windows Hello.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows alway ask me to enable Windows Hello.: Hello MS support team, My laptop don't have hardware that support Windows Hello. I don't know why Windows notis always ask me to use Windows Hello, These notifications often appear in account settings and in windows security apps, this annoys me very much. I want to know is...
  4. computer not going to sleep on lid closing

computer not going to sleep on lid closing: Since update Feb 09/21 KB4601319, OS build 19041.804 and 19042.804, computer no longer enters sleep mode which is configured to happen when the lid closes. Gary...
  5. windows 10 sleep mode - closing the lid drains battery

windows 10 sleep mode - closing the lid drains battery: Hi, I have windows 10 prowith asus zenbook 14 pro ux480fd, and when closing the lead and entering sleep modeI made sure of that in settings it drains the battery almost as if it wasn't on sleep mode. after contacting asus, they said it has to do with microsoft. are you...
  6. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close: Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed. Since...
  7. How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?

in Windows 10 News
    How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Laptops are great devices; they have essentially transformed the way we use Windows. But if you are rather looking for an arrangement where you want to use your portable laptop as a desktop connected to a monitor, you are going [...] This post How to wake...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed: How is it that Microsoft has not figured out how to solve this problem for the past 15+ years? I think the code looks something like this: If lid=closed then sleep Of course someone will inevitably reply to this and tell me how it's "not this simple." Yes, jackass from...
  9. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...
  10. Login Authentication Method when lid is closed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Authentication Method when lid is closed: Are there any plans in the works to customize the default login method for when the lid is open vs. closed? When I am at my desk, the lid is typically closed, and when I first present myself to the laptop, it's trying to recognize my face... But obviously the camera is...